PDA

View Full Version : Spray on foam insulation

seriph1
24th December 2004, 07:28 AM
Hi all

Am talking abt. a two pack product that is sprayed onto surfaces and expands like Plumber's foam.

_____

Just wondering about this process. All the reviews I have seen in the States seem to indicate it is brilliant for creating extremely high value, insulation. I heard it is around 3-4 times the cost of insulwool batts, but can find no local data.

Is anyone doing this in Australia?

A possible application I was thinking of for it, is ceiling repair on period homes....... prop the plaster back onto the ceiling lathes and spray the foam onto the lathes in the roofspace. Probably still have to remove the 100+ yrs of crap from the ceiling I imagine, so it may not be cost-effective against laying plastered bandage strips.......

waddya'all think?

ozwinner
24th December 2004, 08:43 AM
http://www.chemind.com.au/polyurethane/domestic_construction.htm

Eastie
24th December 2004, 10:55 AM
I know what your talking about, but haven't seen it locally. If it makes waves over the next ten years it might be taken up by the industry - but I doubt it. If you really want to stick with the original 100 year old style use hay - it's 1:25 the price and the tree huggers who give out green architecture awards would love it :rolleyes:

echnidna
24th December 2004, 11:05 AM
I know what your talking about, but haven't seen it locally. If it makes waves over the next ten years it might be taken up by the industry - but I doubt it. If you really want to stick with the original 100 year old style use hay - it's 1:25 the price and the tree huggers who give out green architecture awards would love it :rolleyes:

And is fire rated --- WHOOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHHH
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Eastie
24th December 2004, 11:10 AM
Treated with borax of course to slow the flames and the rodents :D

echnidna
24th December 2004, 03:15 PM
Treated with borax of course to slow the flames and the rodents :D

OK so tell us more about the treatment - maybe its a real cheap way to soundproof workshops :o :o

Barry_White
24th December 2004, 04:04 PM
Treated with borax of course to slow the flames and the rodents :DBut just corrodes all your gang nails in your trusses.

Polyureathane Foam is used extensivly in piggeries and chicken sheds also sprayed directly on to the roof and wall sheeting.

seriph1
24th December 2004, 05:36 PM
It sure isnt cheap - I believe in the States is is up to 3-4 times the price of insulwool batts

Jacksin
24th December 2004, 05:39 PM
Yeh same as what Barry said, and I have seen it in an old winery sprayed directly onto the iron wall cladding and underside of the roofing as insulation to keep the plonk at a constant temp as ages and after bottling.

Cow of a stuff to work in and about and the iron rusts like hell, but they had heaps of cash to replace it.
Jack ;)

soundman
27th December 2004, 01:16 PM
Spray on foam has been arround in this country for quite some time.
There was quite some to do about it in the early eighties, aparantly if the proportions of the two parts are not correct the residue gasses out of the foam over a long period "poisioning" the air. There was a bunch of firms flogging it into domestic housing arround the early eighties. Thus the big to do, "people being poisoned in their beds by shonky insulation"

I've seen it on some commercial & industrial sites. The advantage is that it is very fast to install, particularly where there is nothing to retain other types of insulation.

One local "church" has had it sprayed all over the inside of their very large tin shed then sprayed it black.

it is very uggly and an absloute pig to remove if you have to.

If you want someting that is reasonably cheap & easy. Spray glue poly bats to the inside of the tin sheets of your shed, you can sheet up over that if you like.

I'm working thru my shed this way at the moment & it is prooving very effective as both sound & heat insulation.
cheers

seriph1
27th December 2004, 05:52 PM
thanks soundman! I remember that spray on stuff from the 80's. It had to be removed at exorbitant expense. The product these days is totally inert and harmless (he says waiting for the uproar)

What sort of money are the poly batts and are you talking about polystyrene, like kickboards?

PuppyPaw
27th December 2004, 06:40 PM
On an unrelated question but in relation too the foam
is the product available in smaller amounts?
and would it be possible to use it to fill a bollon (as if blown up by air)

I want to fill a few bollons for next christmas to do a festive scene out the back with snowmen and santa

ozwinner
27th December 2004, 07:13 PM
Sellys space invader!!

Al :)

bitingmidge
27th December 2004, 07:46 PM
and would it be possible to use it to fill a bollon (as if blown up by air)

Possible, but a bit expensive! Why not just use paper mache over the top of the balloon and paint it? Then it won't matter if the ballon perishes in a few days.

(Use waterproof paint!)

P :cool:

soundman
27th December 2004, 09:09 PM
Ive just baught 180 sq metres of r3.5 it cost me about $1500 delivered

R3.5 is pretty fat and more expensive than R3 or R2.5.

R 2.5 is the best bang for bucks as it is the most commonly used R2.5 would have cost me about $800 from memory.

I buy small amounts from time to time the price per piece is then a bir more expensive.

the material is polyester just like the stuff in your pillow

If you are keen poly/wool blend has more surface density looks better bare & probably has better sound absorbancy. it is more expensive.

all the above are fire retardant treated and a much better prpposition than styrene. BTW dont try ordinary spray glue on styrene it'll just make a moonscape of it.