PDA

View Full Version : stave type constructed bowl with lid

Ad de Crom
16th July 2011, 08:42 PM
Finished a stave type constructed bowl with lid.
Used 50 mm square beech beams ( a lot of in store) for this project and made an inlay of meranti with chatterwork.
For the change this is all handmade, only using a handsaw and hand planing, a test for my handiwork.
Course I used my wood lathe.
Pure handwork is not so easy, but important as it's the base of working with wood, and it's to easy using machinery.
That's why I did it with my bare hands.
DxH dimensions 192 mm x 92 mm.
Finished with two layers acrylic lacquer.
Cheers, Ad

cookie48
16th July 2011, 09:32 PM
interesting. did you form a solid block?

powderpost
16th July 2011, 10:25 PM
Nice job Ad. Is it easy to lift the lid off? Would a knob or finial help?
Jim

Ad de Crom
16th July 2011, 11:19 PM
interesting. did you form a solid block?
Not a solid block, but this (see pic.)
All the best.
Ad

Ad de Crom
16th July 2011, 11:26 PM
Nice job Ad. Is it easy to lift the lid off? Would a knob or finial help?
Jim
Jim, it's a easy to take off lid, had for a moment the thoughts for a knob, but chatterwork was my final decision.
Thanks, Ad

hughie
17th July 2011, 12:53 AM
Ad, well done :2tsup: good glues lines, next thing you will be into djembe drums:)

oldiephred
17th July 2011, 04:48 AM
Very nice. I have made some similar and found that it is best to attach the bottom with four screws rather than glue. This allows the parts to move with hum. change and joint deterioration does not occur. I also put a slight groove at the point where the bottom and sides meet to cover up the difference when dimensional changes occur, or in some cases a burn line is appropriate.
I like the chatter work , have not tried it yet.

wheelinround
17th July 2011, 09:41 AM
Well done Ad like the effect and the way you staved so not wasting to much wood.

Thats one pet hate turning out a bowl wasting all the centre in many cases a bowl saver just wouldn't work.:no:

artme
17th July 2011, 10:12 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

bellyup
17th July 2011, 11:24 AM
Looking Good Ad! What did you use for the chatter effect?
Bruce.

Sawdust Maker
18th July 2011, 02:29 PM
Ad

nice work once again :2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
18th July 2011, 06:45 PM
Very nice. I have made some similar and found that it is best to attach the bottom with four screws rather than glue. This allows the parts to move with hum. change and joint deterioration does not occur. I also put a slight groove at the point where the bottom and sides meet to cover up the difference when dimensional changes occur, or in some cases a burn line is appropriate.
I like the chatter work , have not tried it yet.

oldiephred, turned a recess for the bottom in the wall of the bowl 10mm deep, and made a seperate bottom which is glued into the recess, never thought on using screws, I'm agree this is a possibility.
Regards, Ad

Ad de Crom
18th July 2011, 06:51 PM
Looking Good Ad! What did you use for the chatter effect?
Bruce.

Bruce, meranti used for the inlay, for the chatterwork my own made chattertool.
Posted a while ago this tool.
Thanks, Ad