PDA

View Full Version : Bought Steve Bundred's Intarsia Down Under Book

rogerjenkins
17th July 2011, 10:06 PM
Although there's only 8 patterns in the book, the information, and pictures go way beyond anything I have come across to date, and the author, ( Steve ), adds his own bit of wry humour as well along the way. over the coming weeks, ( months? ) I will be making the designs in the book, - up to 50% larger, to help make some of the fiddy bits easier to make, then after I have had some practice with Steve's patterns, I shall definately have a go at creating my own Intarsia patterns. Have already made the Flying Kanga, and have two definate local orders for the," Lazy Kanga," which is lying in a deckchair pouring itself a glass of beer.:)
Already have some Australana ideas, including some of our early settlers' cottages, and associated structures, and, later on with a bit of persistance,- some of our unique Flora, & Fauna,- maybe even use the State emblems,- especially the," comical type," such as, " Banana-benders," ( Qld ), and " Cockroachers," ( NSW ). and, " Croweaters," ( SA. ) Can you add on to these for the other OZ states & territories ?

Keeping you informed
Roger

Goonyella
18th July 2011, 09:30 PM
Good buy that Roger. A excellent book.
Looking forward to your designs.
Steve.

oges
25th July 2011, 02:43 PM
I bought the wedge tailed eagle pattern the other day, and downloaded the three free ones for signing up to his newsletter. Now I just have to get organised and buy a bench grinder and drum sanders and try doing an intarsia some day :roll:

rogerjenkins
25th July 2011, 11:48 PM
Sanding,- I use a standard combo belt & disc bench-mounted sander. To do the curved edges I simply bevel the square-cut edges on the roller-end of the belt, then neatly add the curved effect by," rolling," the bevelled section back & forth on the roller end to achieve the desired shape. Idea also works with smaller parts too as when anything slips out of ones fingers, there's nothing to get jammed anywhere, ( and ruined in the process ), also ones fingers are less-likely to get sanded by mistake. The only down side being is finding where the belt has," flung," the escaped piece to !! Belt grit,- 80 grit, which is a good general-purpose grade. Finish off with hand sanding, from 80 grit, " No-fil," Alum-oxide, then 120 grit, 180, & finally 220 grit,- using ones fingers is best as your fingers can do a heaps better job than any sanding block or machine,- and get into corners heaps better without," pruning," the wrong bits !! ( Been there, - Done that !! ) Made the sample Baby Dolphin; the sample Elephant, about half a dozen of each as have sold a few already here for about $15. ea. without trying. The Elephant Scroll Saw pattern, I marked in the ears & facial / trunk lines using a very tiny round carving bit fitted to my Dremel, which I had in the Dremel Router-base for stability, & eveness of depth cutting,- ( if that makes sense ). Used Walnut coloured woodstain for elephant, & left the tusks, & toes sections natural,. Drilled the eyes with a 4mm. brad point bit, about 2mm. depth. Sealed elephant with gloss lacquer.
Also have made several of the Flying Kanga pattern, ( which everyone likes ), and about to start on the Lazy Kanga which is pouring itself a glass of beer !
Although won't be doing any woodworking for several days as sliced base of my right thumb this afternoon, ( " Ouch, / Yelp " and a few other choice descriptive words said ). No didn't do it in the workshop,- being a nice helpful citizen I picked up some broken jagged windowglass off the road by my place,- and a piece got its revenge on me !!! ( It was only a little piece too !!! )
That's life,
Roger