PDA

View Full Version : Hyde Glue

Phil Spencer
21st July 2011, 10:51 AM
I went to a mates place for dinner a few months back, this bloke likes cooking. He served up a crown of beef which was spectacular but what was incredible was the gravy it took him two days to make, he had boiled down a chicken, about a kilo of beef and some pigs trotters there was some other stuff in there also, he gave me the recipe it went out to two pages.

Thing is after looking at the recipe it struck me that some watered down Hyde Glue would make a good substitute for the meaty ingredients.

Has any one ever used the pearls in a casserole or gravy to give a bit of extra taste?, I know my dog likes it she licks the excess glue of my work may be she knows something I don't

Woodwould
21st July 2011, 11:22 AM
Is Hyde glue made from the remains of evil murderous old doctors? :q

I think the glue making process removes any residual flavour from the glue, though obviously dogs, with their superior senses of taste and smell find it irresistible.

Try a spoonful of animal glue sometime; it doesn't have any real taste at all, so I don't think it would be of much use as a gravy base. Gravox costs $6.95 per 200g and U-Beaut's hide glue costs $14.30 per 200g, so there's no contest really. :;

rsser
11th September 2011, 06:42 PM
I doubt hide glue is made safe for human consumption.

Anyway, good gravy need be no drama. Just make your own chicken or veal stock (google veal reduction eg.) and keep some frozen in say 500ml quantities; add flour to the pan juices, brown the mix, add the stock. Simmer for 5 mins to cook out the flour taste. Check the seasoning. I like to add some Worcestershire sauce.

Another good option for roast beef is mustard sauce: mustard (in cream form), horseradish, cream and white pepper.

Gravox is an abomination.

Veal stock is also excellent as the liquid in pumpkin soup.