PDA

View Full Version : Spalting, rot and critters!

deepriver
23rd July 2011, 03:31 PM
Here in the NZ bush, where I live, the biggest snag with spalted timber, or spalting timber, is borer beetles of one sort or another which seem to enjoy the same conditions. My perfectionist tendencies really struggled with the various holes, and tunnels but I have moved on and now find all sorts of interesting wood to turn.
Some logs of silver birch I left lying outside with fungus growing all over them. Photo 1 shows that I didn't leave this log long enough whereas 2 was left just right.
Several English oak logs, with sealed ends just spalted away nicely in my workshop! Which admittedly is very cold and damp. The borer got into them as well. 3
When I built my workshop extension I had to cut up an old sopping wet log half buried in the ground. The wood was full of 'snot' which flew out when I decided to turn a bowl wet. The remaining wood was good and sound and very turnable. Have no idea what the wood was. 4 Then I pushed my luck to see whether an off cut would turn - it did! 5
There are logs everywhere in the bush - I just cut into them and see what I can find 6.

turnerted
23rd July 2011, 05:01 PM
All good but 4 is fantastic,
Ted

cookie48
23rd July 2011, 10:23 PM
Very nice. Well done.

dr4g0nfly
24th July 2011, 06:58 AM
That was some rotten wood you found, well done on the final pieces, I go with No. 4 as well.

And I might not have the same woodlands as you but I think I'd better take a stroll through the Hazel & Sycamore thickets around the corner!

dai sensei
24th July 2011, 10:33 AM
:cool::2tsup:

deepriver
24th July 2011, 01:20 PM
Seeing as there's a bit of interest in photo 4 I just took another shot of it alongside a blank from the same log, ready to go on the lathe.
Yes, the wood is very strong and it hangs on a faceplate quite OK!:)

Cliff Rogers
24th July 2011, 02:57 PM
All good but I like 2 the best. :2tsup:

orraloon
24th July 2011, 04:46 PM
Great bits of work.
I have a vision if standing at the lathe and being showered with crud. Just wondering how often you had to stop and clean the face shield.
Regards
John

dr4g0nfly
25th July 2011, 02:38 AM
Looking at the new picture of the blank and the sort of finished article you can get from it, there's definitely more to firewood than meets the casual observers eye.

Michael Spain
25th July 2011, 06:40 AM
Hi Deepriveri,waaaaaaaow beautiful work, like me, you used some woods with lots of color, all that worked with the hands of a craftsman excellent results in these works of art, congratulations, greetings from Canary Islands.:2tsup: