PDA

View Full Version : Dado for table saw help please

jow104
26th December 2004, 09:42 PM
Last week an Australian forum member kindly mailed me a Woodsmith Magazine. I found the magazine a very refreshing read after 3 years of our British poublications.
However almost every item in the Woodsmith quotes using a dado stack set of blades on the table saw. I would point out these machines are not available in Britain, though not illegal if used for personal use. (But criminal if used on any business practice)
So I expect you know I am visiting Australia next month and I thought perhaps I could purchase an electric motor which would have the arbour long enough to fit this blade set up.
Next I would then purchase a table saw in Britain and swap the motor over to the Australian model.
So does anyone recognise the three attached tablesaw pictures as being available in Australia. Then perhaps I would feel confident that the motor could then be swapped over back here at home.

journeyman Mick
26th December 2004, 10:19 PM
John,
the arbour is usually not directly on the motor but on a seperate shaft with its own bearings. This would make your plan easier but none of the saws like too familiar. Hopefully others may be able to help in IDing them.

Mick

Sturdee
26th December 2004, 10:26 PM
John,

You can have a special adaptor nut milled that screws onto the arbor and that can then take a dado blade. A board member had one made for his table saw and I can arrange for you to have a look at the fitting when in Melbourne.

Probably a lot cheaper and simpler for you.

Peter.

Ian007
26th December 2004, 10:46 PM
I can id the third picture for sure
I had one of these tsaw's
i returned it because i was told it would take a dado when in fact it didnt.
you can find it on the carbatec website
http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/header-1142public__0-0.html?cache=no

first pic looks like an electrabeckam (?spelling)

pic two looks like something sold by timbecon

Hope that helps
Cheers Ian :)

Munga
27th December 2004, 07:56 AM
John,
Are you saying stacked dado blades are illegal to use commercially in Britain and if so for what reason, I'm not trying to be smart just curious.
Arch.

Iain
27th December 2004, 10:18 AM
Australian Woodsmith is almost a direct copy of the US version, if blades are a problem you can always resort to a router.
There is a set here available for $89 from Northwood Machinery, I got a set from the Melb WWW show but have not used them yet but if the quality is like the rest of their saw blades they should be good.

journeyman Mick
27th December 2004, 04:12 PM
Munga,
I believe it's because the extra rotational mass will not allow the blade brake to work in the specified time, plus it would probably wear the brake out.

Mick

gatiep
27th December 2004, 04:26 PM
John

Easiest would be to remove the arbor shaft from your saw and bring it with you. most suppliers like Carbatec in Perth keep a complete range of spares for all saw models past and present that they distribute/d. It would be a piece of cake to match up an arbor that has the same dimentions but longer. Most serious saws have a 16 mm arbor where the blade fits on. Failing that, a machine shop in the UK can machine one up for you in a jiffy! It is definately not necessary to buy the whole arbor with bearing mountings and the lot

:)

Munga
27th December 2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks Mick --learn something every day.
Arch

jow104
27th December 2004, 09:17 PM
To Munga
Another reason Europe doesn't like Dado cutters is that a dado blade if it unfortunately cuts your member it removes a 3/4" cutlet, but if you use a normal saw blade the piece left over after the cut can be stitched to the remaining fixed portion. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Toggy
27th December 2004, 10:09 PM
What the hell are you doing with your "member" on a bludy sawbench anyway???:confused:

And if it reaches that far; you deserve to have a lump if it cut off.:D:D

And for an encore the "Grand "gives this post a slice.

Ken

Dion N
28th December 2004, 01:19 PM
Items for manufacture in the EU must carry meet the CE standard (you may have seen this mark on household electrical goods). I was at Gregory Machinery before Christmas looking at the Jet Supersaw. The CE standard model cannot accept dado blades but the dust extraction is far better than the non-CE model. The two machines are identical in price and features apart from this.

So, if you are shopping for a new TS or workshop machine, be aware that some machines for the European market might have some annoying "safety" features that reduce their usefulness.

jow104
28th December 2004, 06:57 PM
Dion,
Are you saying that you could have had the Jet saw if requested that accepts dado blades?

We can purchase the Jet models here in the UK and then I could do the motor swap

Ian007
28th December 2004, 08:55 PM
Items for manufacture in the EU must carry meet the CE standard (you may have seen this mark on household electrical goods). I was at Gregory Machinery before Christmas looking at the Jet Supersaw. The CE standard model cannot accept dado blades but the dust extraction is far better than the non-CE model. The two machines are identical in price and features apart from this.

So, if you are shopping for a new TS or workshop machine, be aware that some machines for the European market might have some annoying "safety" features that reduce their usefulness.

CE standards are a licence and cost a bucketload of money to get, as far as i know it relates to eletrical components that are to be used in any product to be sold in the USA.
you can find most of the parts in your computer marked with CE logo as well as many other things

Cheers Ian :)

CHJ
29th December 2004, 10:48 AM
If you do a "Google" on http://www.google.co.uk/

you will come up with links like this.
http://www.dti.gov.uk/strd/cemark.html

http://www.epsilon-ltd.com/ce_marking1.htm

Quote from the above link:
"The CE Marking (from the French, ‘Conformité Européan’) is intended to facilitate the free movement of products within the EU by signifying that essential health and safety requirements have been met. "

Aimed at safety etc. are a right pain when it comes to making age old practices such as dado or wobble blades illegal.

Dion N
31st December 2004, 12:22 PM
The impression I got was that there was a European version and the US version. Americans seem to love dado blades (if the "Woodsmith" magazine is anything to go by) on their table saws so I can't imagine Jet selling the Supersaw in the US without the dado. I have the 2004 Jet catalogue and it lists the Supersaw as having a max dado width of 13/16" and max diameter of 8".

I notice that the US version has a different blade guard arrangement that apparently tilts with the blade and has indepedently moving sides. Suprisingly the CE version in the store had a fairly standard looking blade guard.

As to the interchangibility of abours between the two machines, that might be a question for your local JET dealer.