PDA

View Full Version : Desert rosewood - Alectryon oleifolius

Harry R
24th July 2011, 04:23 PM
One of my hobbies is making snare drums. I've made some out of jarrah, brass and have some nice African danta drying for my next batch. However, one wood I would love to try is desert rosewood (Alectryon oleifolius). To date I've had no success in getting my hands on any. If anyone knows of a supplier or has some they are willing to offload let me know.

FYI, I use stave construction to make my snare drum shells (see http://www.woodworkforums.com/f40/jarrah-snare-drum-111409/). Minimum stave size would be 20x25 and I'd need at least 2m.

bellyup
30th August 2011, 03:13 PM
G'day Harry,
We have a fair bit of Alectryon oleifolius (Bullock Bush) out here. Very slow growing, some trees are said to be 600 y.o. but they rarely appear bigger than 3-4 mtr.
Due to the small and twisted nature of the bush it would be unlikely to get any commercially
The timber has a yellow/creamy sap wood that always fractures and looks lie a cracked windscreen when dry. The heartwood is very dark red to brown and usually hollow, making it hard to get commercial lengths. It was while cutting one of these that I decided I needed a better chainsaw and sharper blades!!
I reckon you would need to put wheels on a snare made of this stuff ( or a strong roadie)
Bruce.

Stopper
30th August 2011, 09:49 PM
Harry,
Have you ever made one out of blackwood? It stacks up so well in other instruments. Just wondering if you've tried it.
cheers
steve

Harry R
1st October 2011, 11:18 PM
Bellyup, it's the density of the desert rosewood that got me interested in using it for a snare, but it doesn't look like it will be feasible, given the properties you describe.

Stopper, I have not made any out of blackwood. Others have, and they are commercially available, so we know they sound great. I'm looking to try out species that haven't been used before to try and find a unique sound. There's plenty of native hardwoods out there for me to try!

hybridfiat
3rd October 2011, 05:24 PM
I would look at getting some Raspberry Jam timber. It is a very common acacia found throughout the southwest and goldfields. It is very dense. Has a good tone when struck. Id say it could possibly be used in xylophone keys (not that I like xylophones).
Ive made a couple of hand planes from it and it polishes up nicely and doesnt warp like wandoo and others like it.
A friend is considering it as a replacement for ebony in an all aussie violin.

http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/content_migration/plantations/species/arid/raspberry_jam.aspx

Harry R
9th October 2011, 05:26 PM
I would look at getting some Raspberry Jam timber. It is a very common acacia found throughout the southwest and goldfields. It is very dense. Has a good tone when struck. Id say it could possibly be used in xylophone keys (not that I like xylophones).
Ive made a couple of hand planes from it and it polishes up nicely and doesnt warp like wandoo and others like it.
A friend is considering it as a replacement for ebony in an all aussie violin.

Forest Products Commission: Plantations: Species information: Arid: Raspberry jam (http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/content_migration/plantations/species/arid/raspberry_jam.aspx)

Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely look into it!