PDA

View Full Version : new to turning

nonails
24th July 2011, 11:14 PM
Hi all ,
just bought old woodfast lathe and want to turn spindles for chairs . I need to get a few chisels .. not planning to do bowls at this stage . what is the min number , type and size of tools I would need to get me started ,
cheers Gordon

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th July 2011, 11:34 PM
G'day!

If I was to start afresh and only going to turn spindles, I'd start off with a 3/8" or 1/2" "long & strong" spindle gouge, about the same size in a "continental" spindle gouge, a 3/4" skew chisel and about the same size in a roughing gouge.

Oh... and a good parting tool. (Probably just 1/4" square stock.)

A good set of outside calipers for sizing would come in handy as well.

You do realise that no matter what you start with, in all likelihood you'll probably end up with way more chisels than you can ever poke at a stick? :U

(For a beginner I sorta hesitate to recommend the skew; it's a tool that takes considerable patience to master and will give a few heart-stopping moments. But for sheer versatility, especially when spindle turning, it's a skill well worth learning!)

dr4g0nfly
25th July 2011, 02:52 AM
If your starting from a square blank for your chair legs I'd also suggest a 3/4" Spindle Roughing Gouge.

And I agree with Skew ChiDAMN!!, the Skew Chisel can be a hard tool to learn but once mastered, it can't be beaten in spindles but practice, practice and practice some more before attacking an expensive blank.

RETIRED
25th July 2011, 09:11 AM
I partly agree with Skew but for a minimum amount of tools that will do chair legs and chair spindles I would use:

3/4" traditional gouge. This will do the roughing out and turn most coves and beads.

1" skew chisel. The 3/4" is a little narrow to learn with. The wider one gives you a little bit of safety margin. You can mark out with this by using "V" cuts.

3/8" parting tool. Can be used for smaller beads and can form tenons or dowels.

The extras or nice to haves are:

3/4" spindle roughing gouge.

1/2" gouge. I prefer traditional but round will do.

1/8" parting tool for the odd occasion when you have to mark with a parting tool.

Whereabouts are you?

Cliff Rogers
25th July 2011, 09:25 AM
I'd go along with the first 3 that says except that I would have a 3/8 Bedan instead of a 3/8 parting tool, not much difference really, just what works for me.

I'd also use the 3/4 shallow gouge & the 3/8 Bedan far more that I'd use the skew but again, that is just me.

nonails
28th July 2011, 07:33 PM
Hi ,
I'm in Tassie ,just north of Hobart ...thanks for the info ,I'm really new to woodturning and need all the help i can get , I did a week long course a year or so ago and made a windsor chair from a log and have been hooked since ,
when I get something worth posting I will put up a pic on the forum ,
cheers Gordon

nonails
28th July 2011, 07:34 PM
thanks to everyone who posted info , I have taken all info on board and will get chisels as advised , thank Gordon