PDA

View Full Version : Moisture marks

Dennis27
27th December 2004, 02:43 PM
Hi folks I am new to this (Q&A stuff and woodwork) I have just completed the construction of a recycled jarrah dining table (under instruction). I wanted a natural finish so I have used orange oil on it but now I am finding that anything moist leaves marks on it. Any suggestions on how I overcome this problem? Thanks and seasons greetings to you all.

journeyman Mick
27th December 2004, 04:01 PM
Dennis,
you can either:
a) use coasters :D
b) use a cattle prod to train family and friends not to put wet glasses on the table :eek: :D
Sorry, not familiar with orange oil finish. Do the watermarks go once it dries out? I have a table finished in acid cured nitrocellulose lacquer, which is a pretty hard and tough finish and it gets milky stains on it from wet glasses. The stains disappear not long after it dries out, been fine for 4 1/2 years so far.

Mick

ubeaut
27th December 2004, 05:15 PM
G'day Dennis - I Don't know who's orange oil you are using but if you are in WA it is a fair bet it could be Gilly Stevens. If not, why not? You should be supporting the local product. OK rant mode off. Helpful mode on.....

To my knowledge there are no orange oil products that are designed as a finish in its own right. Most are either for upkeep of a finish or for cleaning and restoring. It is most likely you will be getting marks, because the oil has no protection qualities and basically you are marking the timber itself.

If you must use an oil you really need to either use an oil that can polymerise naturally in the timber like pure Tung oil or use an oil that has a polyurethane additive like Danish Oil. Both should give you greater protection from marks IF USED CORRECTLY. Most other oils will in time mark with water, milk, etc as will most waxes.

In many instances (especially when poorly or wrongly applied) not only does oil offer little protection, but often it is its own worst enemy as it can actually attracts moisture into the timber.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :)

PS for most oils to work you really need to give many applications over a long period of time and by long period of time I mean weeks, months and even years not hours or days. Eg. once a day for a week then once a week for a month then once a month for a year and at least once a year for life.

Dennis27
30th December 2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys.........Happy New Year

Dennis