PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy from Carbatec or Woodfast direct

ClintO
26th July 2011, 01:56 PM
I am seriously considering getting a Woodfast M305 mini lathe.
I am in Sydney and it seems the only local agent is Carbatec but I also have the option of getting it dorect from Adelaide.
My concern is regarding after sales service.
If I buy from Carbatec I am inserting another person between me and the supplier. I have not had personal experience of Carbatecs service on my machines which are a mix of Hafco and Carbatec.
After paying for freight it is actually $20 cheaper getting it from Adelaide direct assuming I pickup from Carbatec and dont pay freight

Jim Carroll
26th July 2011, 02:03 PM
You can buy from either.
Woodfast warrant the machines they sell.
Carbatec warrant the machine that they sell.

You dont have to go to woodfast for the warranty

Tim the Timber Turner
26th July 2011, 02:38 PM
Check out the length of warranty from each supplier.

Last time I checked there was a big difference.

Your choice of lathes is a good one. I think the M305 is the best value for money small lathe on the market today.

We have 4 in our local club.

Cheers

Tim:)

RETIRED
26th July 2011, 05:01 PM
What he said. I even own one.:wink:

Tim the Timber Turner
26th July 2011, 06:05 PM

Jees .

How many bed extensions do you need to turn them telegraph poles?

Cheers

Tim:;

jefferson
26th July 2011, 06:14 PM

may own one but the beast only ever runs at one speed - FAST. :D:D

Pat
26th July 2011, 06:26 PM
Clint, I brought the Yellow Peril (M910) direct from Woodfast. I had an issue with a microswitch when it arrived, flicked an email about 2000 that night, not expecting a reply to morning. I included a phone number . . . and got a call that night to see what the problem was and called back the next morning with a solution.

So I am a happy customer of theirs.:U

watsrags
26th July 2011, 06:43 PM
I brought my m305 direct from woodfast but as live in whyalla SA I picked it up direct from them , My m305 came in a box which had be opened by woodfast. I found the service and experence good . I do also shop at carbatec when in Adelaide. All the other goods I buy came from interstate seller that sponder these forum pages. I find that it is generaly quicker to order over the phone and have either Carroll's or GPW post it to me.

nz_carver
27th July 2011, 02:05 AM
I got my woodfast mini from hear and forbs
Placed the order at 11am on the Tuesday
It was in on the Friday

I'm over the moon with it and I saved on it
I have the 305 and my club has 4 of them
And in the last week I have had 3 members from my club over to my shop to
Look and try it out and 3 have order them

ClintO
27th July 2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks for that also nice to have some confirmation of my selection

orificiam
27th July 2011, 10:00 PM
I got mine From Jim at CWS 2 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. Great Little Lathe
Cheers Tony.:)

cookie48
27th July 2011, 10:17 PM
Buy direct from Woodfast. Save a lot of crap in warrenty repairs that way. (believe me on that)

China
28th July 2011, 01:43 AM
My opinion is that Woodfast after sales service is exelent, I doubt if you will have any warrenty issues

BobL
28th July 2011, 07:16 AM
My opinion is that Woodfast after sales service is exelent, I doubt if you will have any warrenty issues

I had several issues my 305.
The first was the bolt through which the camlock holding the tailstock on snapped after half a dozen uses. The replacement lasted slightly longer so I ended up making my own. I think this is a design fault with so little metal holding the camlock in place.
The hex grub screw that locks the indexer to the headstock shaft was such a poor fit it repeatedly came loose. I had to eventually drill and tap an larger thread.
The small plastic tooling rack at the back of the lathe snapped off within a few weeks of lathe use. Not really a big deal. I'm thinking of replacing this with an ally one.

NeilS
28th July 2011, 03:17 PM
I've always dealt directly with the chaps at Woodfast. Good pre and post-sales service.