PDA

View Full Version : crush grind pepper mills- Guarentee?

tea lady
26th July 2011, 06:05 PM
So I have some crush grind pepper mills. With the life time guarantee. What I would like is a little official looking swing tag that I can add to my turnings to tell the customer what they are and how they can, in the remote event of them failing, get the mechanism replaced. Is there such a thing? What do others do? :U

(BTW I haven't finished turning any yet so NO you can't see any pics.:p)

jefferson
26th July 2011, 06:17 PM
Harry D. prints out on card a description of the piece, the wood etc. and then cuts them up and attaches.

Maybe try that?

PS I'll turn the first mill, you get the second one.

tea lady
26th July 2011, 06:48 PM
Harry D. prints out on card a description of the piece, the wood etc. and then cuts them up and attaches.

Maybe try that?

PS I'll turn the first mill, you get the second one.Yes! I was going to do my own swing tag! I just wondered if there was anything official like! :shrug: Does "crushgrind" have a web site or a place you can contact to replace a faulty grinder?

(Its a grinder race Jeff! We drilled lots of holes today! Might get to turn the outside on Friday, or the weekend! :cool: )

Grumpy John
26th July 2011, 07:00 PM
Ask and ye shall receive (http://www.crushgrind.com.au/instructions.php) :D.

tea lady
26th July 2011, 07:26 PM
Ask and ye shall receive (http://www.crushgrind.com.au/instructions.php) :D.Thanks Grumpy! I think I have the how to make them sussed! :think: I was wondering about the guarantee, and how I can let a potential customer know about them without having to tell every person personally. I have sent an email to crushgrind asking them about it! :cool:

Tankstand
26th July 2011, 07:33 PM
It doesn't seem to show how to claim on the warantee.

Maybe one needs to present a receipt to the retailer?:doh:

Jim Carroll
26th July 2011, 08:45 PM
The guarantee is for the ceramic parts of the mills which is for 25 years.

So far in the last 4 years of selling them we have replaced 1 , still not sure it was a fault of the mill but was replaced anyway.

dai sensei
26th July 2011, 10:07 PM
I only use Crushgrind mechanisms now, no doubt in my mind they are the best, and I tell buyers about the guarantee as it is a good selling point. They also have an excellent mechanism to vary the grind.

tea lady
26th July 2011, 11:47 PM
The guarantee is for the ceramic parts of the mills which is for 25 years.

So far in the last 4 years of selling them we have replaced 1 , still not sure it was a fault of the mill but was replaced anyway.My thoughts were that it would be good to have something to give to the customer so they could go directly back to crush grind if there was a problem. Otherwise they'd have to come to me, and I'd have to go to you and you'd have to go to the importer and the importer would have to go to "crushgrind". :shrug: Did you pass the "broken" mechanism back to the manufacturer JIm?

brendan stemp
26th July 2011, 11:58 PM
Jim is right; the guarantee is only for the ceramic components. I have been told they have been tested for the equivelant of 200 years use. My personal experience is the two I have at home are still grinding as well as they did when new. I would use nothing else. I had 500 swing tags printed to highlight the guarentee and the fact the mechanisms are of high quality and on the other side instructions. See attached pdf.

I have had some returned to me for repairs but not because of the ceramic components. It has been more to do with the plastic plug that fits into the knob. I glue them in now.

tea lady
27th July 2011, 12:05 AM
I have had some returned to me for repairs but not because of the ceramic components. It has been more to do with the plastic plug that fits into the knob. I glue them in now.The top does seem like the weakest link! Cos it just grips the post with a wire spring type thing. It makes it infinitely adjustable I guess.. But does it loose its grip sometimes? :think:

ian
27th July 2011, 12:12 AM
My thoughts were that it would be good to have something to give to the customer so they could go directly back to crush grind if there was a problem. Otherwise they'd have to come to me, and I'd have to go to you and you'd have to go to the importer and the importer would have to go to "crushgrind". :shrug: Did you pass the "broken" mechanism back to the manufacturer JIm?technicalities, technicalities bedevil our lives ...

the garrantee is no doubt an excellent selling point
however, ultimately it's about customer service and you are the manufacturer, or retailer, so, in the first instance, are responsible for fullfilling any garrantee. It might be a bit much to expect crushgrind to sort out a "defect" with your turning or assembly.

for a good model of customer service look at how Lee Valley does it -- if you have a problem with a product, LV replaces the item or refunds your money. If the item has manufacturing issues, Lee Valley goes back up the supply chain, not the end customer.
don't know about you but that model of customer service works for me and encourages me to repeat shop

dai sensei
27th July 2011, 08:27 AM
Jim is right; the guarantee is only for the ceramic components. I have been told they have been tested for the equivelant of 200 years use. My personal experience is the two I have at home are still grinding as well as they did when new. I would use nothing else. I had 500 swing tags printed to highlight the guarentee and the fact the mechanisms are of high quality and on the other side instructions. See attached pdf.

I have had some returned to me for repairs but not because of the ceramic components. It has been more to do with the plastic plug that fits into the knob. I glue them in now.

Great tag Brendan. I assume you are referring to gluing the plastic plug into the timber. Did you cut a recess for the luggs?

The top does seem like the weakest link! Cos it just grips the post with a wire spring type thing. It makes it infinitely adjustable I guess.. But does it loose its grip sometimes? :think:

The spring is only to hold the cap on, not for the turning function of the mechanism, so should be no problem. If anything, I have found they are sometimes too tight, and have had to sand the shaft to ensure they fit.

brendan stemp
27th July 2011, 09:27 AM
Did you cut a recess for the luggs?

I do now. But the problems have also included the plug rotating as well as pulling out. I think these mechanisms are better suited to softer timbers.

tea lady
27th July 2011, 09:47 AM
technicalities, technicalities bedevil our lives ...

the garrantee is no doubt an excellent selling point
however, ultimately it's about customer service and you are the manufacturer, or retailer, so, in the first instance, are responsible for fullfilling any garrantee. It might be a bit much to expect crushgrind to sort out a "defect" with your turning or assembly.

for a good model of customer service look at how Lee Valley does it -- if you have a problem with a product, LV replaces the item or refunds your money. If the item has manufacturing issues, Lee Valley goes back up the supply chain, not the end customer.
don't know about you but that model of customer service works for me and encourages me to repeat shop:think: Right! I see! I guess I have chosen the mechanism so I need to be able to fix up any problems. I satill think an official looking tag from the mechanism manufacturer could be good. :shrug:

I do now. But the problems have also included the plug rotating as well as pulling out. I think these mechanisms are better suited to softer timbers.Ah! So it needs some way of locking into the wood so it doesn't spin! :hmm:

Jim Carroll
27th July 2011, 10:11 AM
:think:

Ah! So it needs some way of locking into the wood so it doesn't spin! :hmm:

The new Crushgrind relief tool (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/robert-sorby-crushgrind-relief-cutting-tool) helps to cut the recess for the lugs on the top and bottom fixtures.

Even doing this I still glue the parts into the body of the mill to eliminate the mill spinning.

You will find with most items where there is any sort of warranty there is nothing officially produced it is more the retailer making you aware of this and you making your own tag like Brendan.
Machinery exempted from this as they usually put it with the parts list and instructions.

Yes Anne Marie for good customer service to your clients it always looks better that they come back to you and you rectify the problem, you then have more of a chance of selling them something else.

tea lady
27th July 2011, 05:48 PM
T
Yes Anne Marie for good customer service to your clients it always looks better that they come back to you and you rectify the problem, you then have more of a chance of selling them something else.:think: Yes! I guess you are right! Will make up some sort of swing tag with info about it on it! :cool:

ian
27th July 2011, 11:06 PM
:think: Right! I see! I guess I have chosen the mechanism so I need to be able to fix up any problems. but you know what you are doing, you are a conscious turner
so there wont be any problems :U

I still think an official looking tag from the mechanism manufacturer could be good. :shrug: :2tsup: good thinking 99 -- just make your own
looks professional
looks smart
inspires confidence