PDA

View Full Version : dust extractor

kraits
28th July 2011, 09:23 PM
can anyone recommend a dust extractor that is both suitable for wood and steel, not planning on throwing swarf into it, mores so grinding particles which fill my shed and im left blowing black out my nose for the next day.

Jim Carroll
28th July 2011, 09:51 PM
Grinding particles are almost as bad as sparks so a big no no for dust extractors

cookie48
28th July 2011, 10:20 PM
Did see dusty that was for both metal/wood somewhere. All it is a dusty that run through a box type confieration and the metal dropped down rest carried through to dusty. Will try and remember where I saw it. ( sorry getting short mem )

RETIRED
28th July 2011, 10:23 PM
We used to run a dust extractor with metal pipe to drum half filled with water then to the extractor itself.

Hope that makes sense.

ian
28th July 2011, 10:39 PM
can anyone recommend a dust extractor that is both suitable for wood and steel, not planning on throwing swarf into it, mores so grinding particles which fill my shed and im left blowing black out my nose for the next day.Festool sell a spark arrestor for their dust extractors (Part Number 484733) -- but at $365 it might be cheaper to run two different extractors with colour coded hoses

NeilS
29th July 2011, 12:23 PM
We used to run a dust extractor with metal pipe to drum half filled with water then to the extractor itself.

Sounds like a bong to me, but not that I would know about such things.... :rolleyes:

Stu-in-Tokyo did something like that to quench the sparks from his grinder, here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/what-well-dressed-grinder-wearing-year-53392/#post612102).

RETIRED
29th July 2011, 01:29 PM
Sounds like a bong to me, but not that I would know about such things.... :rolleyes:

Stu-in-Tokyo did something like that to quench the sparks from his grinder, here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/what-well-dressed-grinder-wearing-year-53392/#post612102).
.I know I smoke a lot but........... mmmmmmmmmm.:D

Tim the Timber Turner
29th July 2011, 05:27 PM
I know I smoke a lot but........... mmmmmmmmmm.:D

Thought you were giving up:;

hughie
29th July 2011, 05:56 PM
[
Grinding particles are almost as bad as sparks so a big no no for dust extractors

Whilst the sparks are very hot intially around 6000c its mass is tiny and it cools at a very rapid rate. But under the right conditions the laminar flow can form a envelope around the spark. When this occurs it can carry the spark along with a high enough temp to ignite any combustible material.

The solution is very simple, fit some sort of static mixer into the duct. This disrupts the envelope and allows the spark to cool. One of the simplest I know is to cut a turbine blade pattern out of sheet metal and fit it into the duct. This mixes up the flow as it pass through the static turbine

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th July 2011, 07:13 PM
I wonder whether that mixer idea would work for cigarette butts? :innocent:

And to think that not so long ago the hot topic was whether to earth duct-work/run copper lines in PVA duct-work 'cos "static can cause explosions."

:rotfl:

kraits
29th July 2011, 08:45 PM
i dont have any intentions of shooting sparks directily into the dust extractor, primary use would be to remove the glistening particles that fill my shed and cover everything, not to mention my lungs.

Jim Carroll
29th July 2011, 09:14 PM
Thought you were giving up:;

Was

Sorta

Maybe :rolleyes:

RETIRED
29th July 2011, 09:29 PM
All of the above.

cookie48
30th July 2011, 02:46 AM
Kraits. Do as I do when grinding etc. Get a vac that has plenty of go and a bag, then vac after every stage of work.

kraits
30th July 2011, 06:22 PM
thanks Cookie, not trying to be a smart a#* but i would have to have the vac strapper to my back, its more like trying to remove the air borne particles so im not sucking them in for the next 5 minutes post grind. not keen on wearing a dust mask, not unless im doing something thats going to make me feel like i just smoked a carton of smokes in the last 2 minutes.

Paulphot
8th August 2011, 10:21 PM
Again, Hare and Forbes have the answer (no affiliation, I have just been looking at their site a lot) https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W322

ian
9th August 2011, 12:52 AM
i dont have any intentions of shooting sparks directily into the dust extractor, primary use would be to remove the glistening particles that fill my shed and cover everything, not to mention my lungs.maybe you also need to upgrade your grinder to one with a dust shroud?
or get a very serious sucker for your work area

kraits
9th August 2011, 05:29 PM
went and got myself an extractor fan, the kitchen variety, but wall mounted, 400mm dia, still need to mount it. got it through rexel,, actually a mate who's a sparky did, for me the special price was $600 odd but he got it for $260 something plus gst. only problem i can foresee would be the dust spewing into the atmosphere and if it just doesn't do what i need it to, but it's supposed to move something in the ball park of 1650 cubic metres per minute.

will let you fellas know how it works out.