PDA

View Full Version : VL175SH Belt Change

Woodchuck2
29th July 2011, 12:48 PM
Here I go again. Has anyone with a VL175SH 6 Speed had to change a belt? (or anything else for that matter) I am thinking of converting to an EVS system but can't seem to find any specific info. on changing belts,and/or pulleys which is going to be required.Any advice would be appreciated.
:?:?:?

RETIRED
29th July 2011, 01:35 PM
I would retain the original pulleys as you get a better range of torque and speeds.

Have the motor pulley machined to fit the new motor.

hughie
29th July 2011, 06:01 PM
]I would retain the original pulleys as you get a better range of torque and speeds.
Have the motor pulley machined to fit the new motor

Exactly and dont forget to fit your EVS unit in a dust free cabinet and follow the instructions of minimum space requirements as this is needed for cooling purposes.

Jim Carroll
29th July 2011, 07:26 PM
To buy an original Vicmarc EVS kit for the VL175 you would be looking at $1894.00

This gives you a 1.1Kw motor, 1.5Kw inverter and braking resistor housed in a wall mountable steel box, Remote magnetic switch box including reverse.

This does not include pulley or belt as you have that already.

Woodchuck2
29th July 2011, 11:19 PM
Thank you all for the advice. However, I am still looking for knowhow on the actual belt/pulley changing process i.e. how to remove the headstock bearings etc.

Fredo
30th July 2011, 10:46 AM
Hi Chas,

Go to the Vicmarc website: Vicmarc - Woodturning Lathes, Chucks, Jaws and Accessories - Home (http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp)
Go to downloads and open up Vicmarc Lathe Manuals (all models)
Find page 26/27 - VL175 belt change procedure (with pictures)
The manuals include comprehensive instructions for all model lathes as you would expect from Vicmarc quality machinery.

Good luck with it,
Fredo :U

Woodchuck2
31st July 2011, 11:51 AM
Thank you Fredo,
I have followed your suggestion which is somewhat helpful, however,none of the instructions refer to my version of the VL175 6 Speed (circa 2000) which also has six pulleys on the motor spindle and has to be dismantled to remove the belt.
:?

turnerted
31st July 2011, 05:48 PM
Chas
If you have problems just ring Vicmarc for advice . On the couple of times I have rung them I found them very helpfull , afterall I think when you spend your money on a Vicmarc the follow up service is built in .
Ted

bellyup
31st July 2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Chas,
I've just replaced the headstock bearings on my VL250 - I would assume your rig would be very similar to mine. The headstock spindle comes out quite simply - the outboard turning wheel is the key.
(1)Take the tension off the belt/s
(2) Lock the spindle in place using the locking pin.
(3) The wheel that you use to stop the spindle needs to revolve towards you to loosen, from top coming over to the bottom. Just think that when you slow the wheel down when you are turning, you are actually tightening up the wheel onto the spindle.
(4) Once the wheel is off you need to use Allen keys to release the grub screws on the collar/lockring against the headstock - this will then thread off.
(5) Use Allen keys again to undo the retaining screw/s on the internal pulley assembly on the spindle shaft.
(6) The spindle is now free to move, push/tap the spindle toward the tailstock.
(7) The first bearing near the collar/locking ring is now exposed and ready to be put somewhere safe. The pulley assembly should slide as you move the spindle toward the tailstock, carefull it doesn't drop off and fall down onto the bits below, there is a keyway on the spindle that corresponds to a keyway slot on the headstock casing - line these two up and the spindle should be out.
Thats about it - if you need further help let me know or see my entry from a week or so ago on "New old VL 250"
Good luck,
Bruce.

Woodchuck2
1st August 2011, 02:34 PM
Thank you Ted and Bruce,
Your advice is much appreciated. I'm now waiting on Vicmarc to give me their info on the motor pulley/s scenario.
P.S. Do you know if the segmented belts/belting (like the Fenner T-lonk belts) are available in Australia?

bellyup
1st August 2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Chas, Sorry can't help with any info on belts.
Bruce.

Woodchuck2
1st September 2011, 02:11 PM
Eureka! The Good Guys at Vicmarc have solved all my problems, albeit at a cost. As I happened to be travelling via Brisbane to the Gold Coast they asked me to drop off my lathe retaining ring and headstock at their workshop where they fitted new motor, bracket and pulleys and associated EVS hardware. Now I'm back in Mackay and everything is up and running smoothly. Can't wait to put the beast back to work! Thanks to all forum contributors for their input and advice.
Cheers,
Woodchuck:2tsup:

bellyup
1st September 2011, 04:57 PM
Sounds like your on a winner!! - out of curiosity, what did the conversion cost?
Show use some pic's of the conversion if you can.
Bruce.

rsser
1st September 2011, 05:59 PM
Great service from VM ... as usual.

You will love the EVS Woodchuck.

Woodchuck2
3rd September 2011, 11:48 AM
Hi Bruce,
No photos yet but I'm working on it. The conversion cost around $1650 with the Commander inverter. No freight involved here as I dropped off and picked up the headstock etc myself.
Cheers

bellyup
3rd September 2011, 01:47 PM
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upgrade ( and seeing the pics)
Bruce.