PDA

View Full Version : Wood Sealer

WOODbTURNER
29th July 2011, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know if there is a similar product to BP Log End Sealer or Mobil Mobilcer m/c (195) as these two products aren't made anymore. I know you can get small amounts of wood sealer like End Check? but this works out too expensive.

Paul39
29th July 2011, 03:07 PM
Does anyone know if there is a similar product to BP Log End Sealer or Mobil Mobilcer m/c (195) as these two products aren't made anymore. I know you can get small amounts of wood sealer like End Check? but this works out too expensive.

I was in a fancy wood working shop several years ago reading the label on expensive wood sealer. An employee asked if he could help. I asked it the wood sealer worked any better than left over latex paint. He looked around and quietly said he used latex. I have seen a lot of blanks dipped in paraffin wax here. It is what we use to seal jelly jars. I think paraffin to the Brits is what we call kerosine.

I have used latex, roughed out green bowls and slathered with boiled linseed oil, soaked roughed out bowls in hand dish washing liquid, wrapped roughed bowls in many layers of news paper, some cracked and some didn't.

Logs for bowls I cut twice as long as the diameter, split in half and stack outside in mostly shade, flat side down on a pallet off the ground. In 6 months, a year, two years, I cut off the cracked ends and rough out a bowl. Some crack and some don't.

hughie
29th July 2011, 05:29 PM
I have a couple of home made solutions. The first one is styrafoam melted with turps or similar into a thin paste or thickish soup. Then there is the latex paint into this a mix 1/2 litre of cheap PVA glue. This gives it good stickability and thickens it up as well. I use both for log ends and large blanks.

I use cheap ceiling paint from Bunnies $14 per 4 litres and another $5 for the PVA. Both work well and have been using them for quite a while now.

TTIT
29th July 2011, 10:13 PM
I've got half a drum of Mobilcer here that I'll never use if you want to take a short drive to pick it up :; - gave up on the stuff :~ Found most species around here still cracked anyway and the stain it left in the timber spoilt a few otherwise good blanks. These days I use nothing but a parrafin wax/beeswax mixture in an old electric frypan - :2tsup:

joe greiner
29th July 2011, 10:20 PM
I've found that the latex paint needs re-coating every few months. Sometimes available free from hazardous waste disposal, so the price is right.

Wax works nicely, either dipped (for small logs), or brushed on if the log won't fit in the pan. I think almost any solid wax will work - canning supplies from supermarkets, surplus candles (garage sales?), etc.

Our WT club proprietor buys AnchorSeal in 55-gallon drums, sells to members at cost; 5-gallon bucket included, decant into a jug. It's a wax and water emulsion, brushed on with water cleanup. Need to shake the jug (and the bucket) to re-mix after it sits for a while.

Cheers,
Joe

WOODbTURNER
29th July 2011, 11:02 PM
I've got half a drum of Mobilcer here that I'll never use if you want to take a short drive to pick it up :; - gave up on the stuff :~ Found most species around here still cracked anyway and the stain it left in the timber spoilt a few otherwise good blanks. These days I use nothing but a parrafin wax/beeswax mixture in an old electric frypan - :2tsup:

Vern,

I mainly use it for logs that are a bit big to lift. I suppose I could cut them all into blanks and use my parrafin electric frypan setup too but then I would be restricted to those sizes I cut. I would love to drive over but I think End Check would be cheaper:-)

brendan stemp
30th July 2011, 12:19 AM
Caltex have one. Called Timber Sealer

WOODbTURNER
2nd August 2011, 07:33 PM
Caltex have one. Called Timber Sealer

Thanks Brendan. I ordered 5 x 20kg drums from the Caltex distributors up here.

bellyup
2nd August 2011, 08:34 PM
Was it expensive?

WOODbTURNER
2nd August 2011, 09:03 PM
Was it expensive?

$103+gst/20kg

Cliff Rogers
2nd August 2011, 10:02 PM
Not bad, I bought 20L (20Kg) 7 or 8 years ago & it cost $75 then.

hughie
3rd August 2011, 05:18 PM
[found that the latex paint needs re-coating every few months. Sometimes available free from hazardous waste disposal, so the price is right.

Joe,

Yeah it does a bit thats why I put the PVA glue in to try and stop that happening, seems to work. I got the tip from a friend who makes billiard tables. They seal thier timber stock with watered down PVA glue.

dr4g0nfly
4th August 2011, 05:49 AM
I have seen a lot of blanks dipped in paraffin wax here. It is what we use to seal jelly jars. I think paraffin to the Brits is what we call kerosine.

We're happy to call it Paraffin or Kerosene but what you are talking about is the wax candles (not bee's wax) are made from.

I have an old roasting tray half full of SWMBO's smelly candle leftovers. The scent does not seem to affect the wood but the wax seals it just fine.