PDA

View Full Version : Using Leather in wood working tools

BobL
1st August 2011, 12:41 PM
I like using leather in woodworking tools and related situations. Here are a few things I have made that involve leather. Not exactly premium grade leather work but extremely functional and easy to make.

RufflyRustic
1st August 2011, 07:12 PM
what's the mallet like Bob? What has been the best use of the mallet so far?

I have so many leather offcuts and scraps building up:rolleyes:

BobL
2nd August 2011, 01:29 AM
what's the mallet like Bob? What has been the best use of the mallet so far?

I have so many leather offcuts and scraps building up:rolleyes:

I use it to assemble or disassemble anything small made of wood. It saves having to find and hold onto a protective wooden block when easing joints and unlike rubber it does not mark the wood.

Claw Hama
2nd August 2011, 06:31 AM
Great job Bob, I have always used my Thor leather/copper hammer for years. It has lots of wieght for those big joints I do sometimes on large hardwood tables but you can stil be gentle enough with smaller work. I juust dress it now and then with the sander to keep it smooth and put a little BLO on now and then to protect the lether (BLO doesn't soften it too much but still protects)

jmk89
2nd August 2011, 10:54 AM
Here's a link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/blogs/jmk89/roll-481/) to my rawhide hammer - like Bob, I use it whenever i don't want to mark the surface. One good use is to ensure that rawl plugs and suchlike are well seated in the masonry without marking the paint/wallpaper.