PDA

View Full Version : The concrete panel shed

jasons673
2nd August 2011, 12:31 PM
Hi all, this shed is something Ive been working on for the last 2 years, it started with 34 meters of concrete panels (2.3 x 6 mtrs) that was used as sound proofing around our plasma cutter at work, these things are bloody noisy , the sound proofing never really worked though. The wall was self supporting with back to back channels and a large base bolted to the floor, 2.3 high that the panels slipped into. The decision was made to move the plasma to another location, the sound proofing wall wasn't needed at the new place. Every time I walked past the wall I thought this would make a great shed, if I could extend the height by 1 meter, and put a roof on it…. Dreaming. The warehouse was eventually rearranged and the wall had to go. As luck would have it we recently had bought some acreage , so I had the space and a need for a big shed. Yep pee I'll have the wall! The deal was done and it was shipped out to my new place.
I worked out I could have a 17 x 10 meter shed ( 6-5-6 bays), with concrete side walls. Off to the main shed builders like ranbuild, tristeel etc to see what they could do for me, after all I only wanted a roof to span 10 mtrs with 1 mtr legs to sit on top of my wall. No one wanted to help. Next step was talking to an engineer, and build the roof our self's. After I got the engineered drawings, submit too council for approval, I went to some fabricators for pricing. Ouch, they came back twice what I expected! The footing were put in with a few drama's these blew out to 12 thousand! Check the rural thread , starting from scratch on my rural block. We planed to live in the shed, while the house was built. Then it came to a grinding halt, the money tree was committed elsewhere. After we moved into the house, the money tree, swang back my way. Below is some of our progress over the last month, more details to come….

Pat
2nd August 2011, 06:55 PM
Jason, good to see you getting onto the shed, but having a house complete will make it easier, domestically for you:;

Sawdust Maker
9th August 2011, 08:40 PM
What's next?

Think I'll sit back with a glass of red and watch this one.

just goes to show that if you do something different then it will take time, money and extra effort.

Ross
9th August 2011, 10:56 PM
.........and a lot of bottles of red.

jasons673
10th August 2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks lads, I seam to be running around like a mad man at the moment, I've got the crane booked for Friday morning to lift the trusses into place, I don’t want to be short of anything, while the crane is sitting there….. Hammer drill... Check sharp drill bit… Check threaded rod... Check cemset… Check don’t think I'll sleep much the nite before, my poison of choice is scotch, but I'm sure bottles of red wont be waisted.

Waldo
10th August 2011, 10:44 AM
A concrete shed, why not :2tsup:

jasons673
16th August 2011, 03:19 PM
Hi all this is the week end progress, the frame is up, most of the z purling are on and the wind bracing in place. The crane was there longer than anticipated, the first frame the chem set resin I was using killed both the chalking guns I had, 40 minute round trip to the hardware store for another one! :~The next frame I hit rio in the first four holes I drilled! :~ Nothing gets the hart racing when your on the clock, watching the dollars tick over with the crane sitting there. As you can see we had rain for part of the morning. I'm not good with heights and being up the ladder was a challenge, but I soldiered on. The day went well with no one hurt and all limb and digits intact. The crane is back Saturday to put the panels in place.

Sawdust Maker
16th August 2011, 09:26 PM
I reckon it looks a bit small:doh:

jasons673
17th August 2011, 08:46 AM
A bit small? Swing those 6mts lengths of timber around is gunna be a challenge!:U

Christos
17th August 2011, 09:38 AM
Looks good. Thanks for the update.

As to Sawdust Maker, you never really know when he is serious or joking. Having met the lad :rolleyes: I am tending to think that he is joking a little. As you mention 17 x 10 meters not exactly a small shed. :2tsup:

wun4us
17th August 2011, 10:24 PM
Looks good. Thanks for the update.

As to Sawdust Maker, you never really know when he is serious or joking. Having met the lad :rolleyes: I am tending to think that he is joking a little. As you mention 17 x 10 meters not exactly a small shed. :2tsup:

Big enough? Whatever IS big enough? One can be excused for thinking big enough, but once things are in, then more things and ad infinitum, and lo!! our shed is not big enough. Ergo, the best laid plans etc etc.:o:o

jasons673
30th August 2011, 01:58 PM
The walls are up! The crane took about 5 hours to put them into place, we then drilled our holes and welded the clets in place. I used chem set resin with short bits of threaded rod to hold them in place. I'm starting to get a feel for the space now, It'll feel even better when the roof goes on, with in the next few week.:U

wheelinround
30th August 2011, 02:09 PM
Ah an Irish building ............no windows just like the Irish High commission building in Canberra :U

Looks good so far Jason sound proofing for your nightly all night working sessions.

hughie
3rd September 2011, 03:13 PM
Dunno still looks abit small :U

jasons673
13th September 2011, 01:38 PM
Hi all, thanks wheelinround I like the idea of a " High commission building"….. but I'll be more like a " low or lucky to get paid commission building" :q. These photo's were from yesterday pre getting the insulation and colour bond installed. That happens today while I'm at work, cant wait to get home! :UThis is one area I didn’t want to get wrong so Ive paid the professionals to do it, and in just one day!

Sawdust Maker
13th September 2011, 10:17 PM
So where are today's piccies :photo2:

jasons673
14th September 2011, 02:23 PM
Yesterdays progress , feels like Christmas morning, it was 3 beers later looking at every aspect, yep its official I like it!:U

banjoping
14th September 2011, 06:08 PM
Holy carp, she's fairly over-engineered!

wheelinround
14th September 2011, 08:54 PM
Looking good and so is the first load of timber in pic 2 & 3 :U

John Saxton
14th September 2011, 09:10 PM
I like the idea of building a big shed then having the rest of your life to fill it with all and sundry to enjoy as the years pass.

Mine is 20x6 and I wish I had built a bigger shed.

Well done ...enjoy:2tsup:

Cheers

jasons673
15th September 2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks lads, " over engineered "…. Maybe, the footing were bigger than expected = more expense. The first load of timber into the shed will be the floor boards under the black plastic, total timbered floor / veranda area will be 9 mtrs x 10 mtrs! The other piles are waiting on a timber mill ( on my wish list )! John if only my shed would end up like those mike and frank pick through
On American pickers…..:U

Robson Valley
16th September 2011, 10:10 AM
Faintly envious, Jason. Thanks for all the pix.
I've got about 4m x 4m downstairs but I still can't wrangle sheets of ply, etc.
What do your neighbors think of it? Do your neighbors think?
Many of mine don't make the effort.

If they can see it and are somewhat unaware of your plans,
perhaps you could erect a sign which designates the building
as the Customs shed for newly arrived, off-planet aliens who need
to write their qualifying examination for political office.
I'm sure that Sigourney Weaver can scrape up a darling old lady.

jasons673
16th September 2011, 01:34 PM
Rob, don’t speak to loudly, the government and the red head that runs this country, are still looking for places to process asylum seekers.:doh: My neighbours don’t need to think about what I'm up too. The closest one is about 2 ks away, I could have a 1 man rock concert and they still wouldn't hear me. :U

Robson Valley
17th September 2011, 02:49 AM
OK, I'll never offer anything to the Feds.

I'm having a hard time trying to imagine having enough space to turn around with a 5m stick and not be concerned about wrecking anything or punching out light fixtures. If I twist my island (saw) bench just right, I can feed such timber into my shop from the hallway with the far end in the downstairs kitchen!

jasons673
19th September 2011, 12:00 PM
A few more progress shots from this morning, just some capping and install of the skylights, then the roofers job is done. Thumbs up to the lads who kept a clean site and done a great job, very happy.:2tsup: I got a start on the sub floor, cutting the concrete piers to size was a mission, they came out of my step daughters place they are knocking down, and some of them had chucks of coal in it. Hit them with a 9" grinder and you cant see your self for dust!:U We are having course sand delivered during the week for the floor of the shed, not used it before but some concrete mixed in and the waka packa, I should have a solid floor.

Sawdust Maker
19th September 2011, 02:15 PM
coming along well

geez I'm jealous of the space!

Christos
19th September 2011, 08:55 PM
Looking very nice now. :2tsup:

jasons673
26th September 2011, 01:50 PM
Hi , progress over the week end , the floor joists were moved , and screwed into place ( almost 500 screws). The roller door was raised while the brackets welded in place, the rain bucketed down and flooded most of the floor area. Still need some earth works to stop this happening, mostly ground water. Cheers Jason

jasons673
7th October 2011, 07:40 AM
Hi , this is the progress over the last weeks, photos from this morning, the rain is hanging around slowing the things down. But we have laid 4 mts of floor so far only 5 mtrs to go!
SWMBO has done a great job painting the panels , to match the house colours. Also our bob cat driver has a new toy to play with!

Ross
7th October 2011, 08:53 AM
I'm looking forward to the traditional forum shed warming and BBQ.

Ross

Sawdust Maker
7th October 2011, 11:02 AM
I'm looking forward to the traditional forum shed warming and BBQ.

Ross

Me too, am waiting for the gilt edged invite :U

jasons673
7th October 2011, 01:46 PM
Gilt edged invite's…… next you'll asking for the our best plastic crockery!:U

Ross
7th October 2011, 01:50 PM
No with this mob paper plates are the safest.

Ross

Sawdust Maker
7th October 2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah
the plastic stinks when you throw them in the barbi

wheelinround
8th October 2011, 10:50 AM
Jason you have no worries about Nick venturing that far north its out of his 40K travel limit.

Me on the other hand just an announcement on the forum no need for gold embossed invite.

jasons673
24th October 2011, 11:53 AM
Hi all, progress shots, more earth works have been completed around the shed, this will stop any water getting in. the down pipe are all now connected, all the rain water from the shed and the house is draining to the tank @ 107,000 litre capacity, we'll not run out any time soon! A big thanks to Geoff, billy and mark for the progressive effort of laying all the floor and decking boards. Almost 3000 screw into metal joists, 85 square meters of floor. Then levelling the rest of the shed with the bob cat, first layer gravel, second fine crushed granite / sand, levelling by hand, third was the 14 bags of sand and cement raked in. then a few hours on the wakka packa, wetting down and we went. Very happy with the finish, not including the bob cat hire, about $ 700 for 110 square meters. Cheers Jason

Waldo
24th October 2011, 12:25 PM
That is shaping up to be a very nice shed. :2tsup: It's lost that bunker look and together with the timber flooring and Colorbond it looks great.

Ross
13th November 2011, 08:14 AM
Any update?

Ross

wun4us
13th November 2011, 11:04 PM
Any update?

Ross

Probably taking it easy...moving those slabs around and laying all that flooring must be tiring.......but then, the rewards :;:U

jasons673
21st November 2011, 01:06 PM
Hi All, I've been away from the computer for a few weeks but some more shots, a little more progress, the shed was commandeered and used for a wedding! :oSo it had to be prettied up, walls painted , banister rails, pictures hung and floor finished. It had come up a treat, but was under strict instruction not to bring any tools or work benches in until after the wedding! But no fear the first build happened over the weekend with a new set of treated pine steps to the far side of the shed. The front wall will be installed over the coming weeks, we found 8 mtrs of windows and doors at a demo yard of western red cedar, delivery in the next few days. That leaves about 2 mtrs to fill in. the other 5 mtrs gap at the side, will have will have some sliding barn doors build, in due course. The fun continues...

BobR
21st November 2011, 01:40 PM
You could kill two birds with one stone by having the shed warming and wedding at the same time :rolleyes:

Dengue
21st November 2011, 03:08 PM
Time to get those vehicles out of that workshop - they take up way too much space !

Dengue
21st November 2011, 03:10 PM
Well done Jason. One question, why didn't you use a concrete slab floor, instead of floor boards on raised steel purlins?

Sawdust Maker
21st November 2011, 04:55 PM
A wedding in the shed, that's almost, um, arh, sacrilege. :o

vk4
21st November 2011, 05:47 PM
CAN I HAVE YOUR SHED , I THINK IT'S BIGGER THAN MY HOUSE:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

LOOKS seriously good , how much is garage , and how much is workshop//

Harry72
21st November 2011, 05:52 PM
Congrats Jase thats one seriously nice shed... a little on the small side tho!

Dengue
21st November 2011, 06:23 PM
how much is garage , and how much is workshopvk4, "too much" is garage in any shed :U

vk4
22nd November 2011, 09:10 AM
Sorry :-:- I stand corrected:D

jasons673
22nd November 2011, 12:46 PM
SACRILEGE, I agree… BUT it did make thing's easier to slip by the MOF! Every time I needed something extra for the Shed ( AKA the reception centre ), I got more yes's than eye rolling.
JILB I always wanted a timber floor in my work shop, something about the feel of the timber under your feet. We did have drawings for a full concrete floor, but I got the timber flooring ridiculously cheep and I work for a steel company so…. As it was the concrete footings have cost more than 10k. VK4 the shed is set out in 3 bays 6-5-6 mtrs. 6 mtrs of timber flooring+ 3 mtrs of veranda out the front. The wedding happend about two weeks ago , maybe a proper shed warming down the track, when I have walls and at lock up stage.

jasons673
9th December 2011, 08:09 AM
How good do these look! We shouted our self's an early Christmas present, spent a little more than I wanted, but they look great!. Weston red cedar from a second hand building yard in Morisset. I'll round up a few mates to get them installed, these things are heavy. I'll end up with about 1.8mts to in fill, with some Corro or used weather boards.

Sawdust Maker
9th December 2011, 08:21 AM
Gawd
It looks more like a reception centre now :doh:

should let in a lot of light :2tsup:

wheelinround
9th December 2011, 08:21 AM
Hope the bride and groom were impressed Jason to think they had their own wedding in a brand new premiss purpose built.

Nick just think Jason could offer woodies weddings where they dance around machines, if they dislike guests or inlaws threatening to use BS, TS or SCMS on them could possibly save marriages.

Jason that ramp needs a bigger incline it will make moving machines in easier.:;

Ross
9th December 2011, 09:07 AM
Now we know where to hold the forum xmas party.

Dengue
9th December 2011, 09:37 AM
It looks like a proper ballroom now. Very nice :2tsup:

wun4us
9th December 2011, 12:39 PM
Talk about multi-purpose room!!! Beats all so far; beauty and well done, the dsoors are inspirational:)

Pat
10th December 2011, 08:31 PM
Jason, Yes temporarily block it with what ever, but another set of doors IMHO would be better. I'd go back to the building yard and see if you can scrounge up another set of doors.

Now to see it full of toys:2tsup:

Ray, the steeper the slope is the quicker you'll get down http://serve.mysmiley.net/characters/character0032.gif (http://www.footballerpictures.co.uk)

Christos
10th December 2011, 10:17 PM
Very interesting doors.

Dengue
10th December 2011, 10:19 PM
Agree with Pat about finishing with additional matching doors :wink:

wun4us
11th December 2011, 08:17 PM
For the great work and the financial resources used for the shed, and with the great new area that obviously is suitable for receptions, some thought for the utilisation of part of the facility as a cash cow!!:D

jasons673
12th December 2011, 02:00 PM
I had the very same thought about matching windows…. They happened to have 2 x 3 mtr sections that were left out in the weather partly run over with the fork lift, broken glass panels and looking very sad. I might have caught him at a weak moment , cause I got them for free! But some how turned into " a carton of beer when you pick them up "! I've done worse deals.
I got them yesterday, most of the frames are shot, but the I'll get them back into useable shape. I've been holding of installing, till I sorted out the gap, would have been a shame to miss 2 mtrs of the view. The doors remind me of a boat shed you'd see on a sprawling lake side estate. Wheelinround ….the ramp? Only steeps down one side, wonderful treated pine. Gives me easy access to the sink and the water pump. I have good access from the other side, where I have plans for a sliding barn door. This will be about 3 mtrs tall x 5 mtrs. Also thinking of using the left over windows for some extra light in the barn door. Thanks all for your comments.

wheelinround
12th December 2011, 02:08 PM
Jason a couple of planks will do when we all come up for the opening otherwise Nick & Pat can lift the wheelchair up.:p

jasons673
12th December 2011, 04:03 PM
OK, got ya :doh:.

jasons673
11th January 2012, 08:58 AM
Hi Every one, I've been a little productive over the past four weeks, apart from changing jobs, I've had alot more shed time. my front wall of windows is installed they look a million bucks! the sliding barn door got a major leg up yesterday, the rail was installed! I got some 75 x 75 x 4 RHS , cut a slot along one side to accept the bolt from the four wheel carrage. 2 x10mtr cuts was a long time on the grinder! next we welded some arms from the upright and hung the track. I still have a few packs of timber flooring left, I'll use that to clad the doors. should be about 300 KG all up.
I have about 5 of these frames that will cover the opening.

BobL
11th January 2012, 03:13 PM
Hi Every one, I've been a little productive over the past four weeks, apart from changing jobs, I've had alot more shed time. my front wall of windows is installed they look a million bucks!
Sure does especially compared to my piddling 1500 x 600 window on my shed although I'm in the middle of adding another 1200 x 600 to let a bit more light in. Have to admit I'm really enjoying my air con right now - I guess that's one small benefit of having fewer windows .

Why are the doors so tall when a significant section of the top part of teh door way seems to be filled in with wall?

wheelinround
12th January 2012, 07:18 AM
Jason looks great :2tsup:

jasons673
13th January 2012, 08:34 PM
BOBL I envey your air con, the concrete panels and insulation offer great thermal quailities and drop the outside temp by about 6-7 degs. but I still have the aircon on my wish list. the cedar windows I had were in 3.9mtr sections, so not much framing in. I've mounted the doors that high to get the maxium height avaliable, I'll cut out the Z purlin and corro once I clad the doors. I want to avoid the " If only..." If only I'd made it a bit wider, I bit taller, a bit stronger, If only I spent a bit more..... Ive had no shed time today due to grankid duities today. but hope to clad most of the weekend. thanks all for your comments.

Waldo
13th January 2012, 08:46 PM
One of the best shed builds. :2tsup:

BobL
13th January 2012, 11:53 PM
. . . I've mounted the doors that high to get the maxium height avaliable, I'll cut out the Z purlin and corro once I clad the doors.

OK I get it - very good!

jasons673
28th January 2012, 09:10 AM
Hi all , a few progress shots of the doors, with the first coat of varnish, still a little more work needed on the rail, will have my ace welder back soon for an extra bracket or two. The doors run smothly with a little push, handeling the weight very well. still too put on the barn crosses, double rows I think.

Sawdust Maker
28th January 2012, 09:57 AM
sweet :2tsup: