PDA

View Full Version : newbie turning

mimpi
3rd August 2011, 04:15 PM
I had a few hours on Sunday to fiddle. I decided I need to do some practice turning coves and balls and things so combined that with making a wand for my five year old.

having never done it before it was quite new to me. I started at the tail stock end and did about 1 " sanded to 240 and applied eee and cream. I noticed my confidence grew the closer i was getting to the head-stock. which may or may not be evident haha I did everything with a skew. I tried using a spindle gouge at first but felt more at ease with skew.
I know the proportions are outta whack and it doesn't taper properly and its very busy for a wand but hey it was great learning experience for me and I am keen to have another crack at it. i had a go at burning some lines with a bit of wire wrapped around a 6" nail. I learnt from this that you have to burn in before you apply the finish as the finish was very heat resistant / just very low coefficient of friction so not much heat built up.

Wood was off-cut of old redgum fence post.

I also made my first rolling pin out of a bit of cherry. I was pleased with how this one turned out. Its perfect size for my kids to roll out some dough for baking biscuits. polished this with 240 as well and finished with olive oil.

RETIRED
3rd August 2011, 06:13 PM
Not a bad attempt at a first effort.

A question if I may: Did you use a parting tool to get the depth of the handles on the rolling pin?

Ad de Crom
3rd August 2011, 06:39 PM
Stunning result and that for the first time!!!
My first turning was a disaster, I can remember me.
Ad

mimpi
3rd August 2011, 09:11 PM
I think i did use a parting tool to get the depth but i didnt bother to measure it just eye balled it. I did roughly mark out the center and handle start finish with pencil first.

cookie48
3rd August 2011, 09:46 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm better than my 500th attempt.

RETIRED
3rd August 2011, 10:05 PM
The reason that I asked was because of the tearout (circled) on the roller end.

To avoid that next time, part into the handle away (waste) from the actual transition and when you roll the edge you will remove the tearout.

Another method is to use the skew to cut "V" cuts to the correct depth.

mimpi
3rd August 2011, 10:32 PM
thanks mate appreciate the tips.

Ozkaban
4th August 2011, 08:35 AM
Nicely done for a first go. Wand looks fun :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

artme
4th August 2011, 08:36 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

munruben
4th August 2011, 08:48 AM
I am surprised you have achieved such a good finish using a skew for the first time. Most would be wood turners find the skew the most difficult to master. If you can do that sort of work using a skew for the first time, you will have no trouble with the rest of the chisels.
Well done.:2tsup:

mimpi
4th August 2011, 12:45 PM
perhaps I shouldn't let the facts get in the way of a good story. its not my first go its my first go at doing fancy fiddly bits up until now its just be roughing down to a nice finish for want of a better term.

the thing I learnt most on the skew is keeping the bevel touching. as soon as the bevel lifts I get a dig in. easier said than done but I can feel the difference when I do it right.

thanks for the encouraging comments anyways folks. I am already hooked and projects in my mind and a few on paper already lined up until well after xmas i am sure.

old pete
4th August 2011, 07:29 PM
Good work MIMPI. Now I want you top turn me three more of the same of each and not to deviate more than +/- 1mm in the lengths and diameters on any part of the samples. That'll test ya!!:D

Best Cheers Old Pete

Paul39
5th August 2011, 06:59 AM
perhaps I shouldn't let the facts get in the way of a good story. its not my first go its my first go at doing fancy fiddly bits up until now its just be roughing down to a nice finish for want of a better term.

Good that you admitted this was not your first go with the accursed skew.

I was about to go down to the shop and slit my wrists with my ACCURSED skew.

I do love the finish one gets with the damned thing. I do not much admire the random spirals in an almost finished piece.

hughie
5th August 2011, 09:57 AM
I do love the finish one gets with the damned thing. I do not much admire the random spirals in an almost finished piece

Now that makes me feel better. :U I had been keeping my random spiral generating techniques to my self of late.