PDA

View Full Version : XP Software in Win7

smidsy
4th August 2011, 08:14 PM
Anyone know an easy way to run XP programs in Win7, I need to use Solid Edge for work, I know there are Win7 versions but our license is only for XP.
Cheers

DavidG
4th August 2011, 08:27 PM
On the icon right click.
Select properties.
Select Compatibility.
Tick "Run this program in....
Select Windows XP.

Warning - some programs wont run in Win 7 no mater what you do. Grrrr :C :no:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2011, 08:43 PM
Perhaps you should look at installing Microsoft VirtualPC and XP mode:

Windows Virtual PC: Home Page (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx)

chrisb691
4th August 2011, 10:00 PM
You can download XP Mode for windows 7, IF you are running windows 7 professional. Otherwise, I have successfully run xp on windows 7 using Virtualbox (free).

smidsy
6th August 2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks Chris I shall try virtual box
I tried to download virtual PC from Microsuck and I got stuck at validation - 3 times I downloaded the validation updater and this is a legit registered version of Win7.

andrewr79
6th August 2011, 10:48 AM
I've just googled solid edge and if it's the 3D tool I think you're out of luck. XP mode works fine for database style apps, but anything graphically intensive tends to play up.

If you still want to try it, download the genuine validation tool separatly and run it, I've had a similiar issue and I'm sure that was the fix.

There's also patch for virtual PC that stops it looking for certain CPU types, try putting it on first as I.

I've successfully run my old version of photoshop under XP mode, though wouldn't recommend it for a long term solution due to the display glitches when run this way.

smidsy
6th August 2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks Andrew, I think I will have to just stay late at work and use it there - I need to teach it for a class otherwise I wouldn't bother as I have Autocad at home.