PDA

View Full Version : Screwless vise

Big Shed
6th August 2011, 10:25 AM
I have one of these small vises, from Ozmestore.

Quite happy with the quality but I have a question, what are the threaded holes in the end jaw used for?

Stustoys
6th August 2011, 11:03 AM
For holding a stop if you were making multiple parts?

Stuart

Abratool
6th August 2011, 11:53 AM
I have one of these small vises, from Ozmestore.

Quite happy with the quality but I have a question, what are the threaded holes in the end jaw used for?
I have owned one of these vises for some years & use it on my Hercus Model O milling Machine. In fact it replaced a used Hercus vise that originally came with the mill, because of improved accuracy & gripping power.
I checked my vise & sure enough it has the tapped holes you mentioned, I must say I never noticed them before. I would guess they are for mounting a stop for repetitive work,as mentioned.
The only modification I have made to the vise was to make a 4 inch long sliding pin about .290 inch dia (clearance in the .325 inch dia holes) Knurled on one end half an inch, for a grip.
This pin makes it faster & easier to make a change to the sliding jaw positioning, than the original short pin that comes with the vise. The short pin was always dropping down when making a change & frustrating to say the least.
This is a brilliant hardened & ground accurate vise & great to use !
regards
Bruce
ABRATOOL :)

Big Shed
6th August 2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for your replies guys, I have just found another use for the 2 holes, at least one guy uses it for partially mounting this type of vise, see here

[/URL]http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CGgQFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.finger.de-web.cc%2Finfo%2FDrehen%2Fscrewlessvise%2520C8.pdf&rct=j&q=screwless%20vise&ei=1zg-TpvGCJGIrAfN8cT-Dw&usg=AFQjCNGv8Fiy0ZcoDIz7I7FxWDHHTaMPZg&sig2=ONTDHIvde9EedKjbmi7Vvw&cad=rja

Here are some more examples of these holes being used for a stop

http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/vises.htm#Screwless_Vises (http://www.finger.de-web.cc/info/Drehen/)

(Talk about TES!)

Bruce, not sure what you mean by your replacement pin, does that replace the socket head bolt in the photo above?

Could you show a picture perhaps?

Actually got around to making some hold down clamps for my little vise today, as per these drawings, they work well

[URL]http://littlemachineshop.com/Projects/ViseClamps.php

Abratool
8th August 2011, 10:48 AM
Falco
I have taken a picture of my vise on the Hercus Model O mill
The "Pin" I refer to is the one I made as previously mentioned to replace the short pin that originally came with the Screwless Vise.
The short pin was always dropping down when changing sliding jaw positions & was frustrating, until I made up the longer pin.
I hope this clarifies things.
regards
Bruce
ABRATOOL:)

Anorak Bob
8th August 2011, 11:07 AM
Hello Bruce,

How do you secure the vise to the table if mounted 90 degrees from the position shown?

My only complaint about the original 3" Hercus vise is the narrowness of the dovetailed bed .

Bob.

Abratool
8th August 2011, 11:42 AM
Hello Bruce,

How do you secure the vise to the table if mounted 90 degrees from the position shown?

My only complaint about the original 3" Hercus vise is the narrowness of the dovetailed bed .

Bob.
Good to hear from you Bob.
With the Screwless vise at 90 degrees to the position shown I hold the vise by fitting the 2 hold down clamps in the slot underneath the fixed jaw. This does not hinder any operation of mounting workpieces or sliding jaw movement.
I just had a look at the original Hercus vise that came with the mill after you made mention of it.
Yes the dovetail slide is very narrow, & I found the overall height a bit limiting on the Hercus model O mill.
I have not used it for some years, as I have found the screwless vise to be more accurate & suitable for the fiddly stuff I work on, particularly in its clamping & holding ability.
When mounting a workpiece in the vise say over 2 parallel strips I usually tighten up the sliding jaw & then "bump" the workpiece down onto the parallels using a lump of lead, its about 2 inches in dia approx.The lead piece does not spring the workpiece & settles things tightly onto the parallels. I could not achieve this with the Hercus vise as the sliding jaw must have had a bit of movement in it that would not allow this to happen,easily.
Aside to this subject I had a problem with my Churchill Surface Grinder over the weekend. It has 2 elec motors of about 1 HP each 415 volt. Each motor is started by seperate push buton switches. The wheel head motor is OK but the motor that operates the table travel just kicks over & does not come up to speed.
This machine was built I would say during the WW2 & is solid to say the least. I would gues this is the first problem it has experienced in 70 yrs.
Would you have any suggestions on what could be a problem, I am not good on electrical stuff but considered it may be a capacitor malfunction that is mounted on the motor.
If you cannot help then perhaps there are others out there that could stear me in the right direction.
regards
Bruce

Anorak Bob
8th August 2011, 12:12 PM
Hello Bruce,

You may need to ask the motor question in the general forum. Electrons are a form of magic to me. Ray Gardiner or Pete Fleming, amongst others, should be able to proffer some assistance.

The height issue is a constant on these little mills. Removing the swivel base on the Hercus vise has helped on occassion. I do have a beautiful Brown and Sharpe 4 inch vise that sits low to the table but will only hold work parallel to the Y axis.To enable the vise to be mounted at right angle to the table would necessitate the milling of slots along the vise base sides, something I don't want to do.

A two piece vise would be a useful addition to my collection. Have you ever used one?

BT

Big Shed
8th August 2011, 02:38 PM
Falco
I have taken a picture of my vise on the Hercus Model O mill
The "Pin" I refer to is the one I made as previously mentioned to replace the short pin that originally came with the Screwless Vise.
The short pin was always dropping down when changing sliding jaw positions & was frustrating, until I made up the longer pin.
I hope this clarifies things.
regards
Bruce

Thanks for that Bruce, I thought that is what you meant, but it would interfere with the clamps I have just made.

How hard is it to line up the hole of the clamp when the vise is clamped to the table and has, you wouldn't want to unclmap the vise just to change position?

I have seen some images on Google where the pin in the screwless vise is visible from the outside, so there must be different versions around.

RayG
8th August 2011, 02:55 PM
Would you have any suggestions on what could be a problem, I am not good on electrical stuff but considered it may be a capacitor malfunction that is mounted on the motor.
If you cannot help then perhaps there are others out there that could stear me in the right direction.
regards
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Apologies to BigShed, for breaking into his thread... :)

Given the age of the machine, I'd think that perhaps some of the wiring might be starting to deteriorate, insulation becomes brittle and cracks, (like my sense of humor as I get older), so, rather than try and point you towards potential causes, I think it would be better for you to get a local electrician to come and check it out properly, look for an electrician that does industrial work, rather than a just household installation type work.

If it's a motor problem, then check out the cost of rewinding.

Regards
Ray

Abratool
8th August 2011, 04:22 PM
Hi Bruce,

Apologies to BigShed, for breaking into his thread... :)

Given the age of the machine, I'd think that perhaps some of the wiring might be starting to deteriorate, insulation becomes brittle and cracks, (like my sense of humor as I get older), so, rather than try and point you towards potential causes, I think it would be better for you to get a local electrician to come and check it out properly, look for an electrician that does industrial work, rather than a just household installation type work.

If it's a motor problem, then check out the cost of rewinding.

Regards
Ray
Thanks Ray,I think that would be my next best move, to get an electrician to check it out.
regards
Bruce

Abratool
8th August 2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for that Bruce, I thought that is what you meant, but it would interfere with the clamps I have just made.

How hard is it to line up the hole of the clamp when the vise is clamped to the table and has, you wouldn't want to unclmap the vise just to change position?

I have seen some images on Google where the pin in the screwless vise is visible from the outside, so there must be different versions around.
Falco
Very nice clamps!
I can see why your clamps would not work with my system.
A picture is worth a lot of words.
I use 2 flat traditional type clamps... one either side of the vise to fit into the groove underneath the fixed head of the vise, so the moveable "pin" does not interfere with its operation.
Thanks for your feedback.
regards
Bruce:)

Big Shed
8th August 2011, 04:46 PM
Falco
Very nice clamps!
I can see why your clamps would not work with my system.
A picture is worth a lot of words.
I use 2 flat traditional type clamps... one either side of the vise to fit into the groove underneath the fixed head of the vise, so the moveable "pin" does not interfere with its operation.
Thanks for your feedback.
regards

Yes, I have done that too, but only when I want to use the vise parallel to the T slots in the table. These clamps are meant for when I want to use it at right angles to the T slots.

Here is one of the vises with the longer pin, visible from the outside of one of the holes.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=screwless+vise&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1000&bih=688&tbm=isch&tbnid=m8gwhzOlBrCfWM:&imgrefurl=http://www.travers.com/product.asp%253FRequestData%253DCA_Search%2526q%253Ditem_id%252B%252761-208-066%2527%2526catalog%253D100266&docid=JPZ7zXxgtOiWsM&w=500&h=500&ei=QHg_TrqgEejmmAX_waWDCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=699&vpy=357&dur=1053&hovh=163&hovw=224&tx=83&ty=184&page=6&tbnh=163&tbnw=224&start=57&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:57

Abratool
8th August 2011, 06:47 PM
Hello Bruce,

You may need to ask the motor question in the general forum. Electrons are a form of magic to me. Ray Gardiner or Pete Fleming, amongst others, should be able to proffer some assistance.

The height issue is a constant on these little mills. Removing the swivel base on the Hercus vise has helped on occassion. I do have a beautiful Brown and Sharpe 4 inch vise that sits low to the table but will only hold work parallel to the Y axis.To enable the vise to be mounted at right angle to the table would necessitate the milling of slots along the vise base sides, something I don't want to do.

A two piece vise would be a useful addition to my collection. Have you ever used one?

BT

Bob
No I think I need a photo, as I am not familiar with the 2 piece vise you have mentioned.
regards

Anorak Bob
8th August 2011, 07:10 PM
From an Ebay seller's page.

Anorak Bob
8th August 2011, 07:17 PM
Though a set of these would be nicer.