PDA

View Full Version : Dont use glasses use a mask

Orange
31st December 2004, 03:38 PM
i have spoken to alot of people and they all say that a mask maybe un kool but is alot cooler than get a needle in ur eye to get crap out of ur eye. i think a mask is a good idea. at skool we use glasses and we still get crap in our eyes. so i think everyone should wear a mask also i need to know what sort of guage i should use to start off a bowl. what should i use.

ozwinner
31st December 2004, 04:42 PM
First off welcome to the BB

Second I would use some sort of cream for your face, that is your face on your avatar isnt it??

Al :D

smidsy
31st December 2004, 09:40 PM
I think the preference for a mask is for safety because what we are doing is taking an unbalanced lump of wood and spinning it at high speed. That is something that is inherantly dangerous - you minimize the risks by working safely and keeping your equipment in good condition, but this game is still dangerous.
I am only 34, but I've been around power tools since I was about 9 (I got a power drill for xmas when I was 10) and in terms of the potential for injury I would say that the lathe tops the list.

A mask is not a helmet by any stretch of the imagination, but it will stop larger splinters that could cut your face and it will provide a small amount of cushioning if a piece of wood flies off. A guy at my club got hit in the face when a peice of jarrah broke up and was lucky to escape with nothing more than a bruise between his eyes, in a situation like that a mask will provide a small amount of cushioning.

Cheers
Paul

DavidG
31st December 2004, 11:10 PM
Put a dollar value on your eyes.
Add a dollar value for your lungs.
Then compare to the cost of a Triton respirator mask.
Then go and get one and never work without it on.

MathewA
1st January 2005, 06:17 AM
In 1980 I was in grade 10 at school. Back then it was far more uncool to wear safety equipment. Hearing and eye protection were provided but not a requirement in class (hard to believe). For the first month or so I can remember being the only one who would wear ear muffs and a face shield. At that time I didn't look at them as safety equipment I wore them because I hated the noise and dust being blown into my face and I think everyone else started thinking the same thing. It just needed one person to start them off. I think it was much easier for me to wear this stuff cause I wasn't what you would call a trendy kid. I couldn't loose any coolness cause I had none to begin with:)

MathewA
1st January 2005, 06:39 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by guage. Are you talking about a bowl gouge. For me I've only ever used a 1/2" bowl gouge. What I mean by 1/2" is the gouge has a 1/2" diameter, some refer to the flute width which would be a 3/8 gouge I think. I've tried larger and smaller sizes but alway end up back with the 1/2". The picture attach is the style of tip I like. This grind allows me to use the gouge in a great deal of situations.

i need to know what sort of guage i should use to start off a bowl. what should i use.

chook
1st January 2005, 06:43 AM
I suppose that if there is nothing valuable inside your head then there is no need to go to any great trouble or expense to protect it. Otherwise a face mask is essential when using any tool with a fast spinning part.

rsser
2nd January 2005, 03:49 PM
A good polycarbonate (least that's what I think it is) visor from Bunnings will set you back about $30. Tell your folks to get you one so you'll be able to look after them in their old age :p

smidsy
2nd January 2005, 04:14 PM
Tell your folks to get you one so you'll be able to look after them in their old age :p

Better yet, remind them that one day you will be choosing a nursing home for them.

Seriously though, the thing to think about when buying this sort of gear is not what you will pay now but how it will feel on your head and the view you will have through it in 12 months.
Cheers
Paul