PDA

View Full Version : Not a bad buy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th August 2011, 12:29 AM
Just a head-up for those of us around Melbourne's SE Suburbs...

Pete's Bargain Centre is selling these sets of three 400mm long brad-point drills - 6, 8 and 12 mm dia. - for a whole $9.99

I'm thinking they'd be handy for longhole boring. Even if they're not the best of steel (at that price I'd be stunned if they were even decent steel! :U) a bit of TLC should see them do the job.

Obviously I haven't used then in anger yet. :;

pommyphil
10th August 2011, 08:56 AM
I hate to rain on your parade but they look the same as the ones Mic had. They lost their twist the first time they touched wood, just straightened out. :rolleyes: Phil .

Waldo
10th August 2011, 10:37 AM
Could be a goer :shrug: I've gotta get out there and get some mesh for the air comp to make a shield around it. But they've moved to Chirny somewhere haven't they?

bellyup
10th August 2011, 10:46 AM
Skew,
Maybe you should take some before and after shots when you use 'em?
Bruce.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th August 2011, 12:55 PM
I hate to rain on your parade but they look the same as the ones Mic had. They lost their twist the first time they touched wood, just straightened out..

Will be interesting to find out! :)

But they've moved to Chirny somewhere haven't they?

Yup. If you stand in the doorway to Bunnies and look over the rooves of the shops opposite... there 'tis! Practically next door. :;

Waldo
10th August 2011, 12:56 PM
Easy-peasy. :2tsup:

Now I just have to sort things out for a trip down the road sometime.

maņana
10th August 2011, 04:43 PM
G'Day
Just like Pommie Phil said, I hope the drill bits don't finish up like the ones I bought. Photos and thread re drill bits "Have you ever wondered about drill bits" started by JMK on 26/10/2010. My drill photos posted 5/11/2010. Have a look.
Mick C
maņana<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

KevM
10th August 2011, 06:14 PM
G'Day
Just like Pommie Phil said, I hope the drill bits don't finish up like the ones I bought. Photos and thread re drill bits "Have you ever wondered about drill bits" started by JMK on 26/10/2010. My drill photos posted 5/11/2010. Have a look.
Mick C
maņana<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Link here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f155/have-you-ever-wondered-about-drill-bits-126066/#post1231988)

maņana
10th August 2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the link, Kev. I knew there must have been a way to do that.
Mick C

Paul39
11th August 2011, 02:27 PM
I bought a set of metal drilling long bits, 5/16, 3/8 & 7/16 from Harbor Freight here in the US for about $10.

They have held up well drilling the ends of vases and twig pots. I had one jam so tightly I was afraid it was going to be in there forever. I eventually got it out without hurting the drill or pot.

I can't find them on the Harbor Freight site. They are about 18 inches long.

As they come form China, you might find them on your side of the pond.