PDA

View Full Version : Richard Blizzards Rolls Royce Wheels

Dick Turpin
12th August 2011, 04:54 AM
Hello to all Members or should I say G,Day,

On being a new member and this being my first post can any one help , I have just got Richard Blizzards book on Wooden Toys and want to build the model of the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost apart from fabricating the wheels from scratch does anyone know where I can obtain a set
Any help would be appreciated :doh:

crowie
12th August 2011, 11:30 AM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum Dick,
I have one of the Richard Blizzards books and will have to dig it out to see if it has the Rolls Royce plan.
Meantime have a look at Woodworks Ltd in Texas, USA, Wooden Toy Wheels & Other Unfinished Wood Wheels (http://www.craftparts.com/toy-wheels-c-178.html) for some wooden wheels of various styles & sizes.
I have had a bunch posted to me here on the Lower Blue Mountains.
The purchase experience was okay.
Also, have a search though the "toy making" threads as I've seen some of the blokes make there own fantastic wheels complete with great WIP photos.
Cheers from "On Top Down Under", Crowie

bj383ss
12th August 2011, 11:41 AM
Welcome to the forum. I have the same book you are talking about as well as his other 2 books. I don't know if these are the wheels he used but they are very similar.
He might have painted them silver.

They are at this website which I think is in England.
160mm White Plastic Moulded Spoke Wheel For Toys (http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Models/Wheeled-Toys/Moulded-Wheels/160mm-Moulded-Spoke-Wheel.ice)

The red wheels they sell are what Richard used on the Mack truck, Scania truck, and the 2 Land Rovers. They also sell the axles and spring caps he uses.

I am currently building the Scania truck from the same book you can see it at this thread.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f201/1982-scania-truck-136676/

Hope this helps,
Bret

Dick Turpin
18th August 2011, 04:27 AM
I am sorry I have not replied sooner but a big Thank You for your support,
The link that you gave me Bret for the wheels from Hobbies will do just fine,in fact I am delighted, the painting will be no problem in fact it allows me to apply the colour I want first time.

Once again a Big Thank You

Eric

bj383ss
18th August 2011, 09:18 AM
Hello Eric,

Glad I could help. Hopefully you find this forum useful. I want to encourage you to post your work in progress pics. All the people on this forum are very supportive and will be excited to follow along on your build. I would be interested in watching how you go about building the Ghost. What species of wood are you going to use?

Later,
Bret

Dick Turpin
18th August 2011, 06:52 PM
Hi Bret,
My working life has been in engineering and the furniture trade ie running factories making furniture and in that time I have come across some fantastic timber around the world I thought about using perhaps burr timbers but I think that may be overpowering in colour I had a good look at the picture of R Blizzards model and seen that he used Rippled Ash this gave a very good figuring across the timber and shows up well on the mudguards I thought about Rippled Sycamore or even Flamed Maple or is it called Tiger Maple it has that pronounced striped effect across the timber but I decided in the end to use Rippled Ash, Know this is where I have hit a problem I have contacted YANDLES
REID TIMBER,DAVID GUNTONS HARDWOODS, and none of them can supply me with any Rippled Ash so if any member of the forum knows where I can get some Rippled Ash do please let me know, Because the ripple in the timber is caused by the compression in the fibres when growing it is not a standard timber of the shelf but they say persistence pays off so I will keep on trying.

As I have just joined the forum I will have to find out how to post any WIP photos so I hope there is some blurb on the site to show me how to do this
I was a member of another site years ago and never could work out how to post some photos so in the end I gave up, So as soon as I start the build I will post a continuation of photos of the build

Eric

Christos
19th August 2011, 08:13 PM
That would be good to do a work in progress and welcome to the forum.

Yonnee
20th August 2011, 11:13 AM
Hello to all Members or should I say G,Day...

Welcome Dick, or should I say "Top 'o' th' mornin' Guvna". :q

Have a look around, maybe even try searching "wheel" for some information. I've put a section in our Forum Library (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f64/best-woodwork-forums-16776/) with some links to wheel making which you get some ideas. If you find any of your own links, please let me know to add them.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the 'Rolla'. :2tsup:

bj383ss
22nd August 2011, 10:48 AM
Eric,

Posting pics on this forum is a snap. All you do is click on post reply and in the top toolbar there is a little paper clip. Click this and it will open a window called manage attachments. Then all you have to do is browse you computer find the files you want to post and upload them. By the way I only upload 1 at a time you can do more than 1 but it takes longer and sometimes it doesn't work. At least for me.

Also once you have them uploaded they will automatically post at the bottom of your post unless you want to insert them into your text. All you have to do is put your cursor where you want your pic and select the little down arrow next to the paperclip and select which photo you want to insert.

I always do a preview post also lets you see what your post will look like and if you have your pics in the right place.

Hope this helps.
Bret

pauker
18th September 2011, 03:45 AM
Welcome to the forum. I have the same book you are talking about as well as his other 2 books. I don't know if these are the wheels he used but they are very similar.
He might have painted them silver.

They are at this website which I think is in England.
160mm White Plastic Moulded Spoke Wheel For Toys (http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Models/Wheeled-Toys/Moulded-Wheels/160mm-Moulded-Spoke-Wheel.ice)

The red wheels they sell are what Richard used on the Mack truck, Scania truck, and the 2 Land Rovers. They also sell the axles and spring caps he uses.

I am currently building the Scania truck from the same book you can see it at this thread.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f201/1982-scania-truck-136676/

Hope this helps,
Bret
Hi
I have been looking for wheels for the Rolls Royce model for ages, and have just stumbled on your link to the Hobbies shop. So I had to go to Australia to find something on my own doorstep here in the UK - talk about going round the world for a shortcut! Anyway, many thanks, and hoping your own model-build went well.
Regards
Alastair

crowie
18th September 2011, 12:30 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top Aussie Woodwork Forum, Alastair,
You'll find a heap of helpful blokes & ladies with lots of knowledge that they are all to willing to share.
Have a look through the Toy Making & Scale Models sections for more inspiration.
Cheers, From On Top Down Under, crowie