PDA

View Full Version : old style planes

graino
17th August 2011, 09:32 PM
Just dug out a box of old hand planes. They all have wooden bodies and different profiles. They are all stamped on the blades by the makers. Henshaw/ John Bull Mawhood/ Reany and Wood/ W.Marpels and sons.All the planes are made in Sheffield 19 in total.Can anyone provide me with imformation on these or refer me to a website that may be able to.

Evan Pavlidis
18th August 2011, 12:49 AM
Just dug out a box of old hand planes. They all have wooden bodies and different profiles. They are all stamped on the blades by the makers. Henshaw/ John Bull Mawhood/ Reany and Wood/ W.Marpels and sons.All the planes are made in Sheffield 19 in total.Can anyone provide me with imformation on these or refer me to a website that may be able to.

Graino,

Try this website; HAND TOOL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION OF AUSTRALIA (http://www.htpaa.org.au/nextsale.php)
Someone from HTPAA will be more than happy to assist you with your enquiries.

BTW---I am in no way affiliated with HTPAA

Cheers, Evan :)

dr4g0nfly
18th August 2011, 12:56 AM
It sounds like you've come across a set of Cabinet Makers planes. There should be several matched pairs, Tongue & Groove, Cope & Stick etc.

A full set in good condition will have some value to collectors (galoots).

When you look at them, think about all the old furnature you've seen and the people that used these (and similar) tool to make them, non of the modern power tools we take for granted.

Scribbly Gum
18th August 2011, 09:44 AM
I can't think of a single website that would help, but there are lots of antique tools websites that list old wooden planes. These often have descriptions to go with them and you can learn quite a lot by trawling through.
Also Patrick Leach publishes a monthly sales list which includes wooden planes - more American than British - but his descriptions are very good.
Once again you have to trawl.
You would probably do best by visiting your local library.
There are plenty of books on handplanes and your library may have them.
If not, they can be borrowed on inter-library loan.
Here are a couple to get you started:
The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack ISBN 1561581550
Planecraft: A Woodworker's Handbook by John Sainsbury ISBN 0806978481
If you would like some input from the collected wisdom of the forum, then some pictures would help - particularly of the profile if they are moulding planes.
Happy hunting
SG

nick_b00
18th August 2011, 01:40 PM
Hi Graino,

As others have - I am also assuming you are talking about wooden moulding planes.

All the above advice is relevant, although I will add a book called "British Planemakers from 1700" by Goodman to the list of resources. Libraries might have it, although it does come up for sale on ebay or secondhand tool websites. I think its out of print. Here is a copy on Hans Brunners site:

British Planemakers 3rd edition (http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au/BritishPlanemakers3rd.htm)

If you can post some photos of the stamps and makers marks I am happy to look up my copy and scan the relevant pages if you think it useful.

Nick