PDA

View Full Version : Temperature + paint + flooring?

blt
2nd January 2005, 02:13 PM
Hi all - hope you're all enjoying some holiday time!
We're planning on laying laminate flooring & new skirting in half the house, and noticed in the flooring instructions it says in bold "only lay if temp is between 10 and 30 degrees". On the paint we got for skirting it says "only use if temp is between 10 and 28 degrees".
Normally I just ignore instructions like that, but am a bit paranoid about stuffing up the laminate flooring because it seems fairly sensitive to humidity etc.
The temps this week are going to be mid to high 30's.... is this really a problem? Or should we just go ahead and get it done?! Am I being paranoid for nothing! :)

edit: Probably a completely stupid question, but when you prime skirting board, do you bother to prime the back as well as the front face? We have a concrete slab.

dzcook
2nd January 2005, 10:00 PM
just laid a hse full of the stuff here in nth qld and the only extra that i did was to allow a bit more in the expansion side of it ( around the outside) it seems to be fine been down about 2 wks and no problems at all is a raised floor not a slad so maybe would make a difference

i wouild be tempted to paint the backs as well but thats just my choice

Harry72
3rd January 2005, 03:49 PM
Hi all - hope you're all enjoying some holiday time!
We're planning on laying laminate flooring & new skirting in half the house, and noticed in the flooring instructions it says in bold "only lay if temp is between 10 and 30 degrees". On the paint we got for skirting it says "only use if temp is between 10 and 28 degrees".
Normally I just ignore instructions like that, but am a bit paranoid about stuffing up the laminate flooring because it seems fairly sensitive to humidity etc.
The temps this week are going to be mid to high 30's.... is this really a problem? Or should we just go ahead and get it done?! Am I being paranoid for nothing! :)

edit: Probably a completely stupid question, but when you prime skirting board, do you bother to prime the back as well as the front face? We have a concrete slab. It wouldnt hurt to paint the skirting all the way around, it would help reduce warpage/gaps over the years.
When a product has BOLD writing it usually pays to adhere to it, unless you have previous experiance with the product and know of ways around the problem.