PDA

View Full Version : How do you glue Sugar Gum?

robri
2nd January 2005, 09:47 PM
I am half way through making a project that I had to leave for a couple of months due to a minor inconvience. I had glued up the top of the piece with Titebond and now that I have come back to it it has moved so that the join lines are visible - obviously I should have sealed it prior to leaving it but didn't have time.
What are the general "rules" about joining timber for tops as to the time it is joined and sealing it.

Sugar Gum is a very hard timber and is fairly oily - I did wipe each join with turps immediately prior to joining (used biscuits) - should I have used epoxy resin? I thought that epoxy resin would dry too hard and therefore cause more problems- any thoughts?

ozwinner
3rd January 2005, 08:17 AM
Hi

Maybe the turps is your problem, turps is very oily.
Maybe metho would have been a better option?

Al :(

echnidna
3rd January 2005, 09:40 AM
Acetone or lacquer thinners dries fast and dissolves oils that metho wont touch

robri
3rd January 2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks for both of these suggestions- I hadn't thought of that - I have some acetone so will try that next time. All I need now is a thin kerf blade so that I can recut the glue lines and re-glue the slab!!

Rocker
3rd January 2005, 12:24 PM
robri,

I think your problem is more to do with the nature of PVA glue, which is liable to creep, rather than the sugar gum. Having had similar problems in the past, using PVA glue for table tops, I now use urea formaldehyde or epoxy for edge joining, instead of PVA.

Rocker