PDA

View Full Version : Big old Blue Streak Chainsaw

timncfc
20th August 2011, 03:36 PM
Hi,

Amazing what you find in a very big old shed full of loads of old stuff.

Hidden behind a pile of rotten sofas was this old beauty, along with a lot of other treasure.
2.5 metres long - must have been a bit of a beast to use!

Anyone any idea what it's worth? Or how it was used? Never seen one before.
Would love to see it go to a proper collector or museum rather than a garage sale oportunist who tells me its only worth $30...

Thanks, Tim.

BobL
20th August 2011, 05:03 PM
Like any rare and unusual collectible it's worth as much as the few collectors of such saws out there are prepared to pay for it. Factors that will influence the value are things like it's actual mechanical state and whether the collector already has one and what state that one is in.

pioneer saws
20th August 2011, 07:07 PM
Hi Tim, Im a chainsaw collector from North East Vctoria. The Blue streaks were made for many years in many different models, what you have there is a blue streak major.
Im interested in this old saw, maybe send me a private message or email and let me know how much your asking.
Cheers
Justin:)

Bushmiller
20th August 2011, 08:12 PM
I have seen a couple of those behemoths. The handle on the nose was for a second operator, but I have never been certain whether the intention was for the second person just to position the bar or whether he had to hang on during the cutting.

Certainly I wouldn't be puting my hand up if it was the second option. I think the only people game enough for that would be retired racing, motorcycle sidecar passengers.:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure they were light on in the safety department, but nevertheless amazing bits of gear.

Regards
Paul

BobL
20th August 2011, 08:12 PM
In case others don't know about this site here is are some interesting leads on this old saw.

Here
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/452d6a8100cdf549882570f900174b24?OpenDocument

And here
http://www.chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/search.php?keywords=blue+Streak&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

pioneer saws
20th August 2011, 08:24 PM
Both great sites for anyone with an interest on old chainsaws, chainsawcollectors.se also covers dragsaws and clearing saws ect, a great bunch of blokes (and women) from all over the world, Im a regular poster under the username Pioneer Saws.
Blue Streaks were made by Titan and CC Industries (both American companies) and sold as Blue streaks in Australia.
Cheers
Justin

BobL
20th August 2011, 08:25 PM
I have seen a couple of those behemoths. The handle on the nose was for a second operator, but I have never been certain whether the intention was for the second person just to position the bar or whether he had to hang on during the cutting.
They hung on, often with the helper handle above their heads. When dad was cutting big Karri with his two man-er he used to be at the helper handle end because at 5'8" he was a 6" taller than his cutting partner. The blade was angled slightly upwards at the start of the scarf cut because operating the 40 kg powerhead to chest height was nigh on impossible.
Dad's was a Teles Smith with a 96" bar.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f132/163335d1299354412-dead-arm-chainsaw-oct58ps.jpg

Certainly I wouldn't be puting my hand up if it was the second option. I think the only people game enough for that would be retired racing, motorcycle sidecar passengers.:rolleyes:
The engine end was no picnic. These things had basically very little muffler so it was a choice of going deaf or getting constantly covered in sawdust and oil.

pioneer saws
20th August 2011, 08:33 PM
Thats a great photo.

pioneer saws
20th August 2011, 08:34 PM
The helper handle was also known as a stinger handle, you can guess why.

Bushmiller
20th August 2011, 08:38 PM
Bob

Thanks for the links. The second one denied me access but I get the gist of it all. Amazing.

The picture too is a blast from the past. I had this nagging feeling that the second cutter had to hang on to the end of the bar, but at the same time sanity said no that can't be the way it is.:oo:

The older generations were tough old buzzards, not like us wimps (really I mean me, but have included others to minimise the effect on my sensitivities.)

Thanks again for the info.

Regards
Paul

timncfc
20th August 2011, 09:10 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far - nice to know a bit about the machenery. Would love to know how a couple of guys used the beast...was it used vertically to chop stuff or did they fell trees horizontally with it (looks like a nightmare for the guy on the motor end!).
Any companies still make simalar tools or is it now defunct/superceded by other tools?
I'm up on the Sunshine Coast if anyone wants to get in touch.

All the best,

Tim.

timncfc
20th August 2011, 09:14 PM
Excuse my ignorance as I posted the last mail before I read all the replies and looked at the links.
Great stuff thanks.

BobL
20th August 2011, 09:15 PM
Bob

Thanks for the links. The second one denied me access but I get the gist of it all. Amazing.

Sorry I guess you have to be a member of that forum.
The pic below is a 360º panorama of the chainsaw museum
There are a few more pics of two person saws from that museum in this thread i (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/pacific-north-west-chain-saw-adventures-part-1-a-118946/)n case you didn't see it.

BobL
20th August 2011, 09:30 PM
Would love to know how a couple of guys used the beast...was it used vertically to chop stuff or did they fell trees horizontally with it (looks like a nightmare for the guy on the motor end!).
Some details here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/dead-arm-chainsaw-132263/) about my dad and his mate Charlie and how they used their saw.

Any companies still make simalar tools or is it now defunct/superceded by other tools?

The latest big chains saws are one quarter the weight for twice the working chain speed. But perhaps more significantly they are <1/4 of the downtime.

Double ended bars up to 102" are still available here (http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?catid=12431&skw=double%20end%20bar).
Helper handles (http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46975&catID=) for long bars are still available - they are usually used on chain saw mills.

Bushmiller
21st August 2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks to Tim for starting this most interesting thread and to BobL for all the additional info.

I had indeed missed earlier threads on the subject and I have just "wasted" another 45 mins following through on all the links:D.

Regards
Paul

BobL
21st August 2011, 10:55 AM
Just like the rest of the WWW, this forum has a huge repository of info but unfortunately only a few folk know where that specific bit of info resides. Things like search tools and engines are fine if one already knows something about what they are looking and are able to assess the credibility of sources but otherwise it's often a case of the blind leading the blind. This is why participation on a forum like this is so useful.

On another track I often think about my dad who worked his guts out in the bush to send us to school and uni and now in my spare time this is what I like doing. He would be laughing so hard if he knew this.

timncfc
21st August 2011, 06:30 PM
Like Bushmiller I've just spended an age going through some fascinating history and stories. Thanks BobB.
Work commitments have left me stranded today...wanted to check it out a bit closer but just got back and it's getting dark. Will do so soon...
Tim.

timncfc
21st August 2011, 06:52 PM
One other thing that was suggested to me at the yard sale yesterday, just after finding the saw, was that it might have been bought/used to cut houses in half. Not quite sure I can picture how that would work but it might be likely as the previous owner ran his house removal business from here for 30 years.
Tim.

dakotax3
26th August 2011, 08:26 PM
Methinks the female of the species probably didn't invent that little handle.

timncfc
27th August 2011, 06:17 PM
That's a great photo.
Would love to see me and the wife trying that!

CM76
29th August 2011, 07:07 PM
Hello Tim,

Very nice Bluestreak MB Major you have found there. I am very interested in buying that saw for my Bluestreak collection if it is still for sale. I tried a private message but you inbox is full.

If you can please send me a message or email to discuss my offer it would be greatly appreciated. I am prepared to pay good money for this machine!

Regards,

Chris.

CM76
17th October 2011, 04:10 PM
Both great sites for anyone with an interest on old chainsaws, chainsawcollectors.se also covers dragsaws and clearing saws ect, a great bunch of blokes (and women) from all over the world, Im a regular poster under the username Pioneer Saws.
Blue Streaks were made by Titan and CC Industries (both American companies) and sold as Blue streaks in Australia.
Cheers
Justin

Hi Justin - just wanted to clarify a couple of points made here:

Bluestreak saws were indeed made by Titan and CC Engineering. Titan saws were designed and manufactured by the Mill and Mine Supply Co. based in Seattle, Washington. CC Engineering was an Australian company (not American) who manufactured the Bluestreak model saws in Sydney. The Australian Bluestreak saws were in no way associated with the Titan machines, and are a completely different machine. The first 'Bluestreak' two man chainsaw developed from the IEL model M machine, which was marketed in Australia as the IEL / CC Engineering MA. The IEL designation was gradually removed, and the MA became the 'Blue streak' Major MA.
The Major developed into an Australian designed machine for our conditions, and the models include the MB, MC, and MC MK2.

A great part of our early timber history.

Chris.

Twisted Tenon
18th October 2011, 06:56 PM
V8 V8 Chainsaw :D

Cliff Rogers
18th October 2011, 10:12 PM
There is an advert in the window of a servo in Malanda where somebody wants to buy a blue streak.

CM76
19th October 2011, 08:33 AM
There is an advert in the window of a servo in Malanda where somebody wants to buy a blue streak.

Hi Cliff,

Its a shame it is not a 'For Sale' ad, as I would be interested in the saw!

Regards,

Chris.

BobL
1st August 2018, 08:38 PM
londonreef (http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/139487-londonreef) wants pictures - I've posted it before but here t is anyway.

Some details here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/dead-arm-chainsaw-132263/) about my dad and his mate Charlie and how they used their saw.

The latest big chains saws are one quarter the weight for twice the working chain speed. But perhaps more significantly they are <1/4 of the downtime.

Double ended bars up to 102" are still available here (http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?catid=12431&skw=double%20end%20bar).
Helper handles (http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46975&catID=) for long bars are still available - they are usually used on chain saw mills.

artful bodger
23rd August 2018, 08:49 PM
Thanks for putting that picture up Bob.
Missed the original thread in 11.
Wouldn't mind one of those in the tool kit.

BobL
24th August 2018, 08:27 AM
Thanks for putting that picture up Bob.
Missed the original thread in 11.
Wouldn't mind one of those in the tool kit.

I wish I had it too. Dad sold the motor for 20 quid to someone who used it as an inboard motor and it ended up in the bottom of Geographe bay in South West WA. The 8ft bar hung around the back shed getting rustier and rustier for a few more years until dad took it to the tip :oo: in the late 60's.

onetrack
25th August 2018, 12:57 AM
I used to own a Whitehead model 108 chainsaw, it was a beauty, all cast magnesium parts, and a West Bend motor. Then some theiving lowlife knocked it off. I have a deep suspicion it was a local scrappie, who is noted for light-fingeredness.

The day I find it, he'll be amazed to find that I still have the cast magnesium spark plug cover for it, which will hopefully reinforce my rightful claim to it.

Model Profile: 108 MAG (http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/05495dc59bad197588256b54001cace9?OpenDocument)