PDA

View Full Version : Extension arm design for thicknesser

Dengue
22nd August 2011, 12:10 PM
Hello, I have a thicknesser that sits on a plywood box about 600W x 600D x 700H on wheels, and would like to have a set of retractable or withdrawable arms that will support long pieces on the incoming and outgoing sides. I had in mind adding some ball bearing rollers (http://www.woodworkforums.com/ball%20bearing%20roller) to the extension arms.

Can anyone please suggest some ideas or links to other typical designs that I could adapt ?

TermiMonster
22nd August 2011, 02:16 PM
My makeshift, temporary setup (read temporary for the last 5 years) sees me wack a length of melamine (18mm) as a bed extention, clamped tightly, front and back, and supported both sides by whichever adjustable stands I have handy. It's an offcut from a 2400 sheet. The melamine gives a nice slippery surface. You lose 20 odd mm of thicknessing capacity, but I can live with that. Probably not the ideal solution, but seems to work for me. I screw a straight edge on it as an extra feature, and I have been known to screw a piece on the underside, if I want a slight bevel on something too (I haven't got a jointer:(,,,,,,,,yet).
Like me, it's cheap and nasty (but it gets the job done right).:cool:
Cheers
TM

Dengue
22nd August 2011, 04:38 PM
I screw a straight edge on it as an extra feature

I didn't quite understand what that straight edge was about TM, and what it is supposed to do. :?

Thanks for posting. I am looking for a temporary quick assembly table extension

STAR
22nd August 2011, 05:52 PM
If you have a look at my thread about the Carba tec bench jointer just below yours you might be able to adapt a n extension like I have.

in fact, if I remember correctly that is where i got the idea from which was in a Shop Notes mag. The Galvanized rods make the platform adjustable so you can get the top level with the outgoing thicknesser table.

I did some adjustments to the original plan to suit my situation but the idea was exactly the same. I was going to do something similar for my thicknesser but I didn't have to because it works great and does not snipe like some of its mates from the same pedigree.

Pete

TermiMonster
22nd August 2011, 08:00 PM
The straight edge just gives me something to push the timber through against.
TM