smiife
23rd August 2011, 08:26 PM
hi guys,
does anyone have any ideas on a free standing tool rest,
ideas,suggestions,photos or plans would be appreciated:2tsup:
cheers smiife

hughie
24th August 2011, 01:01 AM
Hmm I have a thread etc way back on the one I made for my MC1100 it might be of some use to you

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/mods-mc1100-out-board-turning-23684/

Paul39
24th August 2011, 03:51 AM
Pipe welded to a truck brake drum. Pipe sunk into a bucket of concrete. Base of a big floor fan. Any cast iron three legged base with a column.

Galvanized pipe nipples and fittings, L fittings open end down for feet, T shaped base, T fittings to make the cross bar and one open end up just before before the cross bar, reducing nipple at top of column, then as below.

Fit smaller pipe to telescope into the fat pipe on the bottom, yet again smaller pipe or tubing to fit your tool rest. Drill and tap the pipe that the tool rest fits into, thread a nut on to a bolt to screw into the tapped hole in the pipe snug nut up to pipe, weld nut to pipe. If bolt comes out freely weld rod on end for a T handle.

If bolt is hard turning, use new bolt, and / or run tap through bolt and pipe.

Hughie has a good design, not so much on the floor to trip over.

Look at some of the outrageously expensive free standing tool rests and weld one up to your taste from square tubing. Fill the bottom tubes with sand, lead shot, junk hardware, etc.

Sturdee
24th August 2011, 04:25 PM
Hmm I have a thread etc way back on the one I made for my MC1100 it might be of some use to you

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/mods-mc1100-out-board-turning-23684/

Hughie,

I like your outboard support. Can you give some more details on the steam pipe and the way you fixed it to the ground, please. Like to copy that as I've got a spare banjo and outward swing thingie.

Peter.

smiife
24th August 2011, 08:17 PM
thanks hughie & paul39,
some good ideas there i like the idea of a fan base:2tsup:
should be able to find one of those lying around the tip
will have another look at yours hughie on the weekend
when i have a bit more time ..hopefully:roll::roll:
thanks again for your thoughts guys
cheers smiife

hughie
24th August 2011, 10:07 PM
I like your outboard support. Can you give some more details on the steam pipe and the way you fixed it to the ground, please. Like to copy that as I've got a spare banjo and outward swing thingie.

Peter,

No steam pipe its a solid bar 20mm dia and it just sit on the ground not unlike the Vicmarc set up. Its actually a brace for outboard banjo, works well a bit fiddly tho' for my liking.

Sturdee
24th August 2011, 10:45 PM
Peter,

No steam pipe its a solid bar 20mm dia and it just sit on the ground not unlike the Vicmarc set up. Its actually a brace for outboard banjo, works well a bit fiddly tho' for my liking.

Thanks for that, will have to have a bit of a hunt around for some suitable pipe and flange that I can adapt to say a wooden base plate.

It opened up some future turning possibilities.:2tsup: That's what so great about these forums.

Peter.

Robomanic
1st September 2011, 11:29 AM
If you are going free standing, just remember that not all the force on the rest is straight down. As you lift the tip and drop the handle, the rest is pushed towards the work as well.

I like Hughies design because the two directions of strength compliment each other perfectly. The extension down to ground takes care of any horizontal vibration, which was originaly weakest in this direction. The banjo and horizontal extension arm will prevent you from pushing the rest towards the work as it is strongest in this direction.

Good luck and of course post some pics when you are done :)

Paul39
1st September 2011, 12:16 PM
Toward the bottom with the sliding bed lathes:

Page Title (http://www.lathes.co.uk/oliveruk/)

And with the sized bowl lathe, 2400 pounds of iron is not going to dance around the shed.

Page Title (http://www.lathes.co.uk/oliveruk/page3.html)

hughie
1st September 2011, 01:43 PM
The reason behind my shaft support for the outboard turning set up being the way it is, is that it can go from one lathe to another. Nothing is really fixed as far as swing or height is concerned. I did this as I had several lathes and every one was different. :C

It worked OK but I would do it a little bit different now. It needs to be less fiddly and quicker to adjust, other wise it is very stable and a reasonable bit of gear for a DIY.

Paul,:2tsup: good one, very heavy :o