PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw suitable for steel?

mike rolly
23rd August 2011, 09:34 PM
Good evening fellers,

My name is Mick and I live over here in WA, I have spent some time reading the many informative posts and topics. Glad I found this place, its a great resource for metal work.

OK, first post and a question,

I have a 14" heavy duty Carba Tec bandsaw that has only seen wood at this stage. I have since bought myself a metal lathe and dipping my toe into this new and interesting hobby.

After cutting several sections of 30mm 4140 round, I am well and truly over my hacksaw!

So, am I able to press my Carba Tec bandsaw into steel cutting duties?

What would you blokes recommend for a blade, being that I am cutting a fair whack of tool steel such as 4140, D2, W1 and some 416 stainless.

Thanks,

Mick

dj_pnevans
23rd August 2011, 09:43 PM
Hi Mick I know you can but don't know if yours will. The blade is the main thing. Myself I us mine for wood and one day will buy some thing that will cut metal.
David

RayG
23rd August 2011, 09:44 PM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Interesting question, is the tool steel in it's annealed state?

First up, your bandsaw for wood is much too fast for cutting steel, it's tricky to slow down sufficiently, most approaches I've seen use a reduction gear box to get the speed down from the ~2000 fpm for wood to ~200 fpm or so for steel. It's possible you could get away with a change of pulleys and a vector type VFD, but that's going to cost more than just buying a metal cutting bandsaw.

Your best bet is a metal cutting bandsaw with a bi-metal blade, but of course even that won't even scratch hardened D2.. A grinder would be a better choice for that.

Have a look at the numerous posts on the $300 H&F horizontal bandsaw.

Regards
Ray

Dave J
23rd August 2011, 10:04 PM
Hi Mick, and welcome.:2tsup:
To add to what Ray has said.
I have seen these bandsaws converted with reduction boxes, and if you look around the internet you will find them. One bloke uses a weighted pull system to pull the steel through the blade, as it' takes a lot longer than wood and gets boring real quick.

You are much better buying the horizontal one as Ray pointed out, as it will use it's own weight and you don't need to do anything while it's cutting.
These bandsaws can be used vertical, but mine rarely gets used that way other than for sheet metal, as it takes so long and takes a lot of effort to push thick stuff through.

Dave

Anorak Bob
24th August 2011, 09:45 AM
Hello Mick,

Walk away from the notion of slowing your saw down and do as recommended by Ray and Dave. I did. I bought my chintzy Chinese 4 x 6 horizontal saw from Fiora Machinery in Cannington. Fiora sell a replacement bi-metal blade for about 30 dollars. Certainly a worthwhile investment. H and F in Belmont don't sell a better replacement blade for the small bandsaw. Hughans Saw Service in Osborne Park will make you narrower blades should you require one for curved work. These little saws can be used in the vertical mode. I held off buying one because I thought they were trashy looking things and I have a neat little Lotze power hacksaw. The Chinese saw can cut larger stuff, is more versatile ( the vertical option ) and small enough to hide away under a drop sheet.

BT

Big Shed
24th August 2011, 09:59 AM
+1 for the Chinese 4x6 horizontal bandsaw.

I have 2 bi-metal blades for it, 13tpi for hollow stuff, eg tubing and small solid round/square bar, and a variable 6/10 pitch for bigger solid stuff. I have just cut 60mm 1214 with that blade and it went through it like butter without any coolant.

I also have a 17" Carbatec woodworking bandsaw and have cut aluminium plate up to 6mm on it, but wouldn't dream of using it for steel.

Stustoys
24th August 2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Mike,
Welcome.
+1 for the Chinese 4x6 horizontal bandsaw.
I have a slightly different model but as the others are probably sick of hearing me say "its the best money I've ever spent in my shed". One piece of 50mm bar was enough to put a big smile on my face knowing all the sweat what would have gone into hacksawing it.

Stuart

mike rolly
24th August 2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks Fellers!

Well, looks like I am getting a new power tool, a new vertical bandsaw.

Appreciate the fast replies.

Mick

Dave J
24th August 2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks Fellers!

Well, looks like I am getting a new power tool, a new vertical bandsaw.

Appreciate the fast replies.

Mick

They are only on special for August so you don't have much time it you want it at the lower price.
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=B002

With the blades if you buy 10 you get one free, and it doesn't matter if you mix blade tpi, they even have wood blades for these saws.

Dave

Stustoys
24th August 2011, 01:43 PM
, a new vertical bandsaw.

Vertical?

$270! if they get much cheaper I'm going to buy a spare lol

Dave J
24th August 2011, 02:59 PM
I hate the way they put the $270 in bold red and the price with GST $297 in black.

Dave

Stustoys
24th August 2011, 03:44 PM
:doh: They saw me coming again!
Maybe I should call the ACCC.

Stuart

WillyInBris
24th August 2011, 08:17 PM
+1 as well I have the same saw love the little thing but need to do a little work on it again though and get it all realigned after the removal guys speared into the asphalt off the gutter :((

WillyInBris
24th August 2011, 08:19 PM
:doh: They saw me coming again!
Maybe I should call the ACCC.

Stuart

Yep I hate how they put it in red like its a good deal :(( but normally you can get it for the red price if you push them a bit.

Dave J
24th August 2011, 08:59 PM
They started doing that a couple of years ago when the dollar put everything up, I think it was their way of masking the price a bit.
Talking about that, when the dollar went down everything in the store went up pretty well instantly, but when the dollar went up higher than it has ever been, the prices stayed as they where when the dollar was low.

Dave