PDA

View Full Version : Repairing rust holes in metal hex dumbbells.

Dimeron
24th August 2011, 08:58 AM
Hello.

My friend gave me bunch of dumbbells, and one of them has two large rust holes in them. The holes are about an inch or two wide and about an inch deep. Instead of throwing them out I'm wondering what would be the cheapest way of filling and repairing those holes.

I'm going to repaint all of them eventually.

Attached are some pictures of the dumbbell. Never done anything like this before and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Auskart
24th August 2011, 09:13 AM
If you are going to repaint them, just give the holes a good clean out and fill them with auto body filler, no one would be the wiser if they are painted.:D

Greg Q
24th August 2011, 10:41 AM
+1...get over to Canadian Tire or a real auto body supply place. Then check the prices on abrasives, filler and paint. Then go buy new dumbbells as it will be cheaper/faster/easier. Plus they'll be the correct weight. Don't want to get underdeveloped guns now, do we?:wink:

Jekyll and Hyde
24th August 2011, 08:04 PM
Hello.

My friend gave me bunch of dumbbells, and one of them has two large rust holes in them. The holes are about an inch or two wide and about an inch deep. Instead of throwing them out I'm wondering what would be the cheapest way of filling and repairing those holes.

I'm going to repaint all of them eventually.

Attached are some pictures of the dumbbell. Never done anything like this before and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Find a mate with a welder? :D

joe greiner
24th August 2011, 10:41 PM
I doubt that they're rust holes at all. It's very unusual for rust to form so precisely. More likely, they were drilled to make it an exact weight. Before proceeding with "repairs," weigh it to verify underweight.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Cheers,
Joe

kraits
25th August 2011, 05:46 PM
if your worried about the way they look you might want to put a few more holes in them and make them lighter.
back when i was doing weights i was using a bench seat from a kingswood as a bench press and an axle with the discs and wheels still attached, then i would go out and kick a 150m goal (drop punt) from the bar stool at the pub with a smoke in one hand and pint in the other.

Auskart
25th August 2011, 05:56 PM
150m goal is that all, maybe you needed a bigger field :2tsup:

Harry72
25th August 2011, 07:02 PM
Joe is correct they started out as calibration holes to make matched pairs.

woodhunt
27th August 2011, 09:11 AM
Or just plain bad casting that was filled in :-)

Pete F
28th August 2011, 03:01 PM
At least one of those holes looks like it's a casting flaw, the other is drilled. If it really bothers you then bondo + paint :D

WillyInBris
28th August 2011, 04:32 PM
Anyone have a feeling he wont be back.

There's some holes in the dumbbell,
Dear Liza, dear Liza
There's some holes in the dumbbell,
Dear Liza, there's some holes.

woodhunt
28th August 2011, 04:44 PM
the other is drilled

to calibrate the casting flaw:wink: