PDA

View Full Version : It has been six days now

Phil Spencer
24th August 2011, 05:08 PM
At 12.30 last Thursday my doctor retired me from work for health reasons, it is the strangest feeling I got out of bed and went into the office and left at around 9.30 to go out and see some customers. I started to feel odd realy odd so I dropped into see my doctor, I was white and clammy, my blood pressure was something like 210/120 and I had the shakes. The doctor sat me down and left me while he attended to some other patients when he came back I was a little bit better and he than told me it was all over red rover as far as work was concerned. I was told to drive my company car straight home not pass go and not collect $200.00. So I sent the company an email with a copy of my doctors letter and that was it.

The car was picked up today along with all my files and crap, what really hurts is not a by your leave or thank you for all the hard work Phil, there is no sense of closure and to realise that there was no appreciation for all the effort hurts deep.

I still get up in the morning and wonder which customers I will see and what I need to talk to them about, I suppose it will take a bit of time to clear my head.

On the positive side I have a nice piece of Backwood and some nice pieces of Red Myrtle that are calling, and I now have more time to look after Mrs Phil who has been left with a disability after a workplace accident.

Cliff Rogers
24th August 2011, 05:16 PM
All the best with it Phil.... however... if you feel the need, you can come & deal with a few of my customers for me. :D

Phil Spencer
24th August 2011, 05:24 PM
All the best with it Phil.... however... if you feel the need, you can come & deal with a few of my customers for me. :D

Thanks Cliff. I would have to get up early :D

Cliff Rogers
24th August 2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks Cliff. I would have to get up early :D
How about if I send them to you? :think:

Phil Spencer
24th August 2011, 05:46 PM
How about if I send them to you? :think:

Are they that bad?

Dengue
24th August 2011, 06:05 PM
OK, Phil, that is exactly how my retirement went, but blood pressure less than yours, but still at stroke level.. On doctors orders, with immediate effect.

After she told me this news, my BP started dropping straight away, in her surgery, and 2 months later has dropped back to perfectly normal levels.

I have had trouble coping with retirement, often tempted to return to the workforce, but it is not worth it.

Now is the time to do those things you always wanted to do, but do them now before age catches up, and the legs can't carry you the way they used to. Once door closes, and another opens with lots of new and exciting challenges and opportunities.

Keep busy, keep active, do regular exercises and do some volunteering work. You can make this next phase of your life very interesting, but it is going to take some planning, and probably some professional help. I was quite depressed there for a month or so, until some family members needed something built for them, so it was into the shed again, the first time since cyclone Yasi, and the black dog disappeared.

Thing I have trouble coping with is the Groundhog Day, where I can't tell the difference between days, and have trouble knowing which day it is,as they all seem the same in retirement, but specific activities on specific days soon gets around that.

Good luck Phil, with your retirement. Don't be afraid to get help

Sorry about the company you worked for. What a mob of selfish ungrateful mongrels. They run you into the ground, then don't want to know you, and complain you have let them down. You need to move on from that mob, Phil.

Sturdee
24th August 2011, 06:06 PM
what really hurts is not a by your leave or thank you for all the hard work Phil, there is no sense of closure and to realise that there was no appreciation for all the effort hurts deep.

That stinks.

Similar thing happened to me at the last place I worked, after 11 years when I handed in my notice, giving them a month to get organised, I was handed a cheque a couple of hours later and asked to hand over my keys and leave forthwith. Still hurts when I think of it. :((

The unofficial backdoor comments were that I might stuff up their precious computers, but if I wanted to do such criminal acts I would have placed a time delayed wrecking file long before leaving and probably time stamped with the date of the last non in house upgrade.

Peter.

Phil Spencer
24th August 2011, 06:33 PM
OK, Phil, that is exactly how my retirement went, but blood pressure less than yours, but still at stroke level.. On doctors orders, with immediate effect.

After she told me this news, my BP started dropping straight away, in her surgery, and 2 months later has dropped back to perfectly normal levels.

I have had trouble coping with retirement, often tempted to return to the workforce, but it is not worth it.

Now is the time to do those things you always wanted to do, but do them now before age catches up, and the legs can't carry you the way they used to. Once door closes, and another opens with lots of new and exciting challenges and opportunities.

Keep busy, keep active, do regular exercises and do some volunteering work. You can make this next phase of your life very interesting, but it is going to take some planning, and probably some professional help. I was quite depressed there for a month or so, until some family members needed something built for them, so it was into the shed again, the first time since cyclone Yasi, and the black dog disappeared.

Thing I have trouble coping with is the Groundhog Day, where I can't tell the difference between days, and have trouble knowing which day it is,as they all seem the same in retirement, but specific activities on specific days soon gets around that.

Good luck Phil, with your retirement. Don't be afraid to get help

Sorry about the company you worked for. What a mob of selfish ungrateful mongrels. They run you into the ground, then don't want to know you, and complain you have let them down. You need to move on from that mob, Phil.

Thanks Jill, since finishing up I have not had to use my Nitrolingual prior I was using it every day, so that is a plus. I have some ideas in the back of my mind to keep me busy, at the moment I am enjoying not having to get out of bed at 5.30 every morning.:)

Phil Spencer
24th August 2011, 06:37 PM
That stinks.

Similar thing happened to me at the last place I worked, after 11 years when I handed in my notice, giving them a month to get organised, I was handed a cheque a couple of hours later and asked to hand over my keys and leave forthwith. Still hurts when I think of it. :((

The unofficial backdoor comments were that I might stuff up their precious computers, but if I wanted to do such criminal acts I would have placed a time delayed wrecking file long before leaving and probably time stamped with the date of the last non in house upgrade.

Peter.

Thanks Peter
Lots of revenge thoughts are going through my head but that is where they will stay I will not lower my self to their level. I am glad I will not be obliged to partake in their alcohol culture having some one drive a forklift after six beers is dangerous.

Life is too short after I have recovered my health I plan to enjoy my new life. :D

Scribbly Gum
24th August 2011, 06:51 PM
When we were working we had a "work" oriented mindset, whether we wanted to or not. Working full time, conditions us to see life as work-filled with short periods of time off - weekends, holidays etc.
Once we stop work we enter into the next phase of our lives, and we have to develop a different mindset to deal with it. We will do this mostly unconsciously I believe, but sometimes - like in your case Phil - it needs a conscious effort to get our heads around our new circumstances.
Don't dwell on the circumstances that led you to your retirement - particularly the negative thoughts that you might have from time to time. Let them go.
It's time to set yourself some new priorities, and these include doing all those things that you like and enjoy.
We really only need three things to be happy:
someone to love, something meaningful to do, and something to look forward to.
Time to get on with living old mate.
Go get 'em Phil.
Cheers
SG:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
24th August 2011, 06:56 PM
Are they that bad?
Not worth the postage but I don't want them. :p

Dengue
24th August 2011, 07:15 PM
Wot Scribbly said. :2tsup: Well put !

Foo
24th August 2011, 07:53 PM
Money and work are no good to you if, you don't have your health to enjoy things Phil! :no:

Get your health right and look at doing something later on and forget about the ungrateful b****ds. :wink:

Phil Spencer
24th August 2011, 08:08 PM
When we were working we had a "work" oriented mindset, whether we wanted to or not. Working full time, conditions us to see life as work-filled with short periods of time off - weekends, holidays etc.
Once we stop work we enter into the next phase of our lives, and we have to develop a different mindset to deal with it. We will do this mostly unconsciously I believe, but sometimes - like in your case Phil - it needs a conscious effort to get our heads around our new circumstances.
Don't dwell on the circumstances that led you to your retirement - particularly the negative thoughts that you might have from time to time. Let them go.
It's time to set yourself some new priorities, and these include doing all those things that you like and enjoy.
We really only need three things to be happy:
someone to love, something meaningful to do, and something to look forward to.
Time to get on with living old mate.
Go get 'em Phil.
Cheers
SG:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Well said Scribbly, I think why I will have trouble turning off is that I worked from a home office, most days I would drive into the work office and be there by 8AM after doing a few hours work in the home office. So although I have been retired and don't have to go into the work office any more I still have the office if you know what I mean, I have an office and no work to do :oo:.I think I will have to move some tools into it.

Sturdee
24th August 2011, 08:31 PM
Once we stop work we enter into the next phase of our lives, and we have to develop a different mindset to deal with it.

Fully agree with that, that's why I'm so busy altering things, rebuilding the workshop and now the wood store conversion getting things ready for when I 'll start taking it easy. If ever.:D

(At least my daughter will get the benefit of them.)

Phil a whole new world of renovation, workshop and gardening awaits your attention.

Peter.

Avery
24th August 2011, 08:47 PM
That is bad news Phil.

A similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I was 57.

It is bloody difficult, but try to see it as a positive. Perhaps a new beginning rather than an end.

Get some help that suits you and accept that things change.

Good luck, make it work out for yourself.

Sturdee
24th August 2011, 09:04 PM
BTW mine happened on the 4th of July and I will always think of that day as my "Independence Day". :2tsup: No longer any sad feelings.

Peter.

Phil Spencer
24th August 2011, 10:03 PM
BTW mine happened on the 4th of July and I will always think of that day as my "Independence Day". :2tsup: No longer any sad feelings.

Peter.

Good idea I think I will mark the 18th August 2011 as Independence day :2tsup::2tsup:. Do you think I should send them a reminder on every anniversary? :rolleyes:

Sturdee
24th August 2011, 10:50 PM
Good idea I think I will mark the 18th August 2011 as Independence day :2tsup::2tsup:. Do you think I should send them a reminder on every anniversary? :rolleyes:

No, don't bother.

Peter.

johnredl
24th August 2011, 11:46 PM
Just my couple of cents...I'm not near retirement age mind you...

My dad passed away a couple of years ago, and he had always worked hard, long hours. What do I remember the most about him? Not his dedication to work, or the times he missed out on things in my life...my best memory if him is us sitting in the backyard on a bench and watching the birds.

At least now you have time to spend with the people that matter the most to you...and you can make all the wood chips you please!

Phil Spencer
25th August 2011, 08:38 AM
Just my couple of cents...I'm not near retirement age mind you...

My dad passed away a couple of years ago, and he had always worked hard, long hours. What do I remember the most about him? Not his dedication to work, or the times he missed out on things in my life...my best memory if him is us sitting in the backyard on a bench and watching the birds.

At least now you have time to spend with the people that matter the most to you...and you can make all the wood chips you please!

Good advice I plan to spend more time with my grandsons, Mrs Phil and in the shed.:) I think Mrs Phil might get sick of me making a pest of my self :wink::rolleyes:

Unfortunately the only memories I have with my father is being belted until I bled and wet my pants. :(

Dropcat
25th August 2011, 09:57 AM
what really hurts is not a by your leave or thank you for all the hard work Phil, there is no sense of closure and to realise that there was no appreciation for all the effort hurts deep.

The difference between mates & workmates...

rsser
26th August 2011, 02:58 PM
Phil, I think it's great you felt able to share your story with us.

Being 'let go' without recognition or an event to mark the transition would rankle with me and it may still with you. There's 'energy' in that experience which should be respected, given due weight and processed.

For some folk, writing about it helps. For others, a simple thing like getting some plasticine, forming it into shapes or just mushing it up helps. For me, getting a rootball or similar, scorching it, then hollowing out a small socket and staining it red, has been a useful thing to imagine but is yet to be done in practice.

SG's wisdom otherwise is spot on, and you have to find something worthwhile to do. For those of us brought up on the work ethic and a sense that our work should have some value as well in public terms, it's a bit of a challenge.

I'm lucky that I can continue to do a bit of paid work part-time of the type that I've always loved. But it's not enough.

Good luck.

Phil Spencer
26th August 2011, 06:03 PM
Phil, I think it's great you felt able to share your story with us.

Being 'let go' without recognition or an event to mark the transition would rankle with me and it may still with you. There's 'energy' in that experience which should be respected, given due weight and processed.

For some folk, writing about it helps. For others, a simple thing like getting some plasticine, forming it into shapes or just mushing it up helps. For me, getting a rootball or similar, scorching it, then hollowing out a small socket and staining it red, has been a useful thing to imagine but is yet to be done in practice.

SG's wisdom otherwise is spot on, and you have to find something worthwhile to do. For those of us brought up on the work ethic and a sense that our work should have some value as well in public terms, it's a bit of a challenge.

I'm lucky that I can continue to do a bit of paid work part-time of the type that I've always loved. But it's not enough.

Good luck.

Thanks Ern

A question first is a 'rootball'?

After talking to a very good friend this morning, I have decided to turn my back on them and do something else outside the industry, I made a start and took the first step in implementing plan 'B' this afternoon.

Any one know why I can respond on my laptop and my desk top won't let me? All I get on that machine after typing my message is a message back saying my message was too short:?

rsser
26th August 2011, 06:08 PM
Plan B ... onya.

'Rootball' .. just the lump of a tree below the ground. As in 'mallee root'.

fenderbelly
31st August 2011, 12:07 PM
Phil, i'm sure there are places near you that will be looking for volunteers which does fill a gap and can be very satisfying.

mens shed in my area are always doing something for the local community.

When i first finished working my old mum in the Uk once asked me if i was still working, my reply was " mum i havent got time to work "

As far as the message saying too short i sometimes get that on forums when the Title is only one word. Some forums require ten letters in the title.

Phil Spencer
1st September 2011, 08:45 AM
It has been two weeks now, so far I have not had to use my Nitrolingual once in that two weeks, before that when I working I was using it every day, so obviously work was having an impact on my health.

I have started thinking of a plan B and making progress on it.

My daughter also wants me to build some stuff also.

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2011, 09:21 AM
Can you call past & mow the lawn & spray the weeds around the trees for me.... if you are not busy that is? :D

Phil Spencer
1st September 2011, 10:00 AM
Can you call past & mow the lawn & spray the weeds around the trees for me.... if you are not busy that is? :D

Do you pay travel??

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2011, 11:25 AM
Nuh, but I'll like to be able to afford to. :p

Phil Spencer
1st September 2011, 12:16 PM
In the past I have had an offer to do some business consulting to a whore house things like:-

Business plan
Operations procedure

The business plan I thought would be OK but the operations procedure where what they do and how they do it I could not get my head around, I had an image in my mind of sitting on a chair in the corner taking notes and putting my hand up to ask questions and clarify points of interest.

I had plenty of mates wanting to help but alas I refused the commission.

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2011, 12:52 PM
I've installed an ATM in one. :D

Phil Spencer
1st September 2011, 01:28 PM
I've installed an ATM in one. :D

How did they pay you??

Geoff Dean
1st September 2011, 01:33 PM
Careful how you answer that one, Cliff. :D

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2011, 01:45 PM
I was paid by the ATM company, not the brothel. :p

Toggy
1st September 2011, 07:49 PM
Jees Cliff,

I hope the ATM company didn't try screwing you around with payment.http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Ken

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2011, 09:03 PM
They wouldn't dream of it.... they need somebody to go back there when it needs maintenance, repairs, or upgrading. (Notice I didn't say servicing.) :D

Phil Spencer
1st September 2011, 09:25 PM
They wouldn't dream of it.... they need somebody to go back there when it needs maintenance, repairs, or upgrading. (Notice I didn't say servicing.) :D

Do you modestly avert your eyes when servicing the machine??

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2011, 09:49 PM
Hell no, I just organise it to be done before the open for the day. :p

Phil Spencer
1st September 2011, 11:08 PM
Hell no, I just organise it to be done before the open for the day. :p
Where is the fun in that :D

Toggy
2nd September 2011, 09:28 PM
Steady on there Phil, remember you have a crook ticker. Better not get too excited or you will be back on the spray again.

Been there; done that. In may case it started off with spasms around an artery, until the artery finally collapsed. As my cardiologist put it:- angina pain is the heart muscle screaming out for oxygen.

I am guessing that you have been told more about your health than you have said. Like the old saying " You're a long time dead". Stuff the ex-employer. Worrying about them will only make you depressed and that will not help your condition.
You have a new job description now. It is looking after yourself and your wife and making chips in the new office (the workshop).

Take care.

Ken

rsser
2nd September 2011, 09:52 PM
Phil, I'd just love to take that consulting challenge with the brothel into a prac class of MBAs.

What a hoot.

Thanks for that post; made my day.

Phil Spencer
3rd September 2011, 08:49 AM
Phil, I'd just love to take that consulting challenge with the brothel into a prac class of MBAs.

What a hoot.

Thanks for that post; made my day.

I can imagine it now. The MBA's all dressed up like pox doctors clerks sitting on straight backed chairs lined up against the wall with their note books busily and franticly taking notes, and, every now and then one would shyly and timidly put their hand up to ask a question or or have a particular point explained :D

Phil Spencer
3rd September 2011, 08:51 AM
Steady on there Phil, remember you have a crook ticker. Better not get too excited or you will be back on the spray again.

Been there; done that. In may case it started off with spasms around an artery, until the artery finally collapsed. As my cardiologist put it:- angina pain is the heart muscle screaming out for oxygen.

I am guessing that you have been told more about your health than you have said. Like the old saying " You're a long time dead". Stuff the ex-employer. Worrying about them will only make you depressed and that will not help your condition.
You have a new job description now. It is looking after yourself and your wife and making chips in the new office (the workshop).

Take care.

Ken

I have been thinking about the troglodytes less and less, the shed is beaconing me like the siren in Jason and the Argonauts, hopefully I will spend more and more time there Mrs Phil is worried I might move my bed out there :oo:

Grommett
3rd September 2011, 11:00 AM
Phil, take care of yourself. Retirement forced or otherwise is that time of life you can enjoy doing what you like. Now, get off the forum, its Saturday am, and get into the shed. Thats where I am heading.:D

artme
8th September 2011, 09:35 AM
I was retired after having a double by-pass and 12 months later a pair of stents. Wasn't expecting any of it!! Luckily my cardiologist knew me well and reckoned that I would be better off retired with my propensity for stress and worry.

Some of the time has been occupied with travel and some with doing a great number of odd jobs. I have knocked over the job list ( at least the "must dos" ) and am about to start on the vege garden and the tidying of the shed, as I haven't really done any turning or other woodwork for about two years.

I did suffer from work withdrawal symptoms for some time but as my general health improved and, as I was without the stress of work' I was able to adjust pretty well.

My main worry now is that the current stockmarket turmoil has knocked about 60g off my super. This on top of the losses suffered during the GFC.

Now it's a matter of spending both my time and my money as wisely as possible.:)

rsser
8th September 2011, 10:33 AM
Warning: flippant follows ... ;-}

For anyone used to unproductive work, here are some suggestions for unproductive retirement:

1. Start telling your partner how do do things the right way.
2. Tell the offspring that as you now have more time you plan to get more involved in their lives.
3. Regularly ring your financial advisor or fund manager saying that you're thinking of changing your investor profile.
4. Watch and worry daily about the swings in your retirement fund value.
5. Kick yourself for not buying gold after the GFC.
6. Carefully scrutinise any change in your body and spend a lot of time on medical websites doing self-diagnosis.
7. Make forum posts like this one.

What have I missed? .... I'm worrying about my memory. Where did I read that exercise helps it? Must Google it. :D

artme
8th September 2011, 10:52 AM
:aro-u::roll::roll:

Phil Spencer
8th September 2011, 11:37 AM
The dog has me sussed already, she nags me every morning and takes me for walkies :D

Cliff Rogers
8th September 2011, 01:11 PM
Warning: flippant follows ... ;-}

For anyone used to unproductive work, here are some suggestions for unproductive retirement:

1. Start telling your partner how do do things the right way.
2. Tell the offspring that as you now have more time you plan to get more involved in their lives.
3. Regularly ring your financial advisor or fund manager saying that you're thinking of changing your investor profile.
4. Watch and worry daily about the swings in your retirement fund value.
5. Kick yourself for not buying gold after the GFC.
6. Carefully scrutinise any change in your body and spend a lot of time on medical websites doing self-diagnosis.
7. Make forum posts like this one.

What have I missed? .... I'm worrying about my memory. Where did I read that exercise helps it? Must Google it. :D

You need a hobby Ern.... maybe woodturning. :think:

nrb
8th September 2011, 01:32 PM
I have been retired for 11years now and made that choice myself,can understand how you feel about it all coming to a end so quickly ,not in your planning can make it hard.I saw it happen in the group I worked for and some were really taken by suprise so had a hard time.
The things I really enjoy now are being able to spend time building stuff for my kids and grandkids,what I used to tear around trying to do this or that at lunch time or weekends now happens without the rush.
The wife told me when I retired don't expect me to make your lunch or get in the way of my golf,lunches,coffee with girlfriends,works out well with us both having our oun space when we need it.
We have been lucky to be able to travel a bit and meet some great people whom we have formed good friendship,preople we never had time to meet while working.
Never seem to have a day sitting on the butt very often.
Life's good which I'm sure you will see with time.:U:U

rsser
8th September 2011, 02:05 PM
You need a hobby Ern.... maybe woodturning. :think:

Yep!

For 9 weeks all I've had is a pile of skis for the alps up the road, and the laptop and a pile of books.

If there was a vice attached to the bench outside the granny flat there'd be the chance to play with ski edge tuning.

Next year I'll get the motorbike up so if there's another r.s. snow season at least some fanging can be done.

Overall though this temp spell of being a ski bum is my biggest experiment in semi-retirement and worth repeating.

It's great to be out of the city, amusing to see folk's reactions when they ask a grey-haired old phart what he does, and regular XC touring and telemarking mean no back pain.

There's a vacant block of land next door with the 2 car garage still standing. That's a sign! ... if only I'd taken my own advice and bought gold after the GFC :rolleyes:

Hey ho. Time for my nap :U

Sturdee
8th September 2011, 04:51 PM
if only I'd taken my own advice and bought gold after the GFC :rolleyes:

Hey ho. Time for my nap :U

Ern,

You should have bought gold in the 70's when it was still only US$ 35. per ounce. Could have made a fortune.

Peter.

rsser
8th September 2011, 05:19 PM
B*gger ... something else to regret unproductively!

Whatever. As my kids say.

Still count myself v. lucky despite the rough ride out of the f.t. workforce.

Ski bum for 10 weeks is a blessing.

Bucket item to ski Mt Bogong has been ticked off. (Crikey it was hard work; pic link below if interested).

Now if it'd only dump overnight! LOL.

Sorry Phil; this is something of a hijack.

Yeah, it often helps to have something to pull us into something new; a mutt is good; would like one myself.

* Bogong ski trip 2011 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/30283858@N07/sets/72157627264125241/)

Phil Spencer
8th September 2011, 05:28 PM
Bucket item to ski Mt Bogong has been ticked off. (Crikey it was hard work; pic link below if interested).

Can't see the point of snow skiing why go all that way to to get a cold thingy (not allowed to say #### on this forum) :?

rsser
8th September 2011, 05:38 PM
LOL.

There's a long and a short story.

Short story, it's demanding work so it doesn't get short ;-}