PDA

View Full Version : Tools / techniques for snap rings?

Bryan
24th August 2011, 09:46 PM
I don't mean circlips. I have circlip pliers. I mean the ones that are internal and have no lugs or holes, just a plain wire in a groove. I've always managed to prise them out in the past but now I have a hefty one on the Tough drill and can't seem to get any purchase on it. It got me wondering: what is the correct method for dealing with these pesky critters?

SurfinNev
24th August 2011, 10:50 PM
Got a pic of it and where it is? If it's on a shaft which is inside another part, support the shaft and give the other part a good smack with something. Another way is to place the shaft inside a piece of pipe and then smack the pipe on the ground and catch the other part as it comes off. This is the way to remove outer CV joints from drive shafts that have the internal snap rings, so don't know if this will work for you.

Nev

Anorak Bob
24th August 2011, 11:05 PM
Hello Nev, long time no hear.

Bryan, I would have had to deal with the same clip and while I have no memory of actually removing the thing , I imagine I would have used a couple of cheap jewellers screwdrivers as small levers. Nev's method offers more sophistication.

BT

rogerbaker
25th August 2011, 12:14 AM
Hi Bryan
Havent done one for years but I used to get a suitable sharp obbect to get under an end of the clip, lift the end out of the groove then either push or pull the clip out. sometimes you need to get brutal.

Good luck

Roger

azzrock
25th August 2011, 01:10 AM
is a external clip or internal

azzrock
25th August 2011, 01:33 AM
hi if i im right at what you talking about one or more of these might help. u may have to lift
the ri9ng with one tool and slide a small screw driver under it.

Bryan
25th August 2011, 07:37 PM
So the options are pry or pound. I was hoping there was a special tool that made it easy & safe. I tried prying but just couldn't get anything behind it. I didn't try pounding but the ring is 1/8" thick and very stiff. I think that process might have got very violent and risky. In the end I punched a notch out of the lip so I could get screwdriver behind it. Then it was business as usual. I didn't like deliberately damaging a nice machine, but it seemed the only real option. Think of it as a modification, I tell myself. It will be hidden under the pulley, until the next poor bugger has to do it and he will thank me.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/59697-bryan/albums/tough-drill-press/6910-p8251594.jpg
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/59697-bryan/albums/tough-drill-press/6909-p8251596.jpg

Stustoys
25th August 2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Bryan,
Little late now but did you try a drift on the outer bearing shell to push it away from the ring?
If you clean your notch up a little with a die grinder, who would know it wasnt meant to be there? (other than Bt of course because he'll have the parts list ;))
Stuart

SurfinNev
25th August 2011, 10:08 PM
Pounding works on the snap ring on a shaft, but in your situation I think the choice not to was a good one. Probably would have broken the casting being an internal snap ring retaining the bearing. Yeah, clean up the slot and it will be handy for the next person.

Nev