PDA

View Full Version : compass plane restoration

fletty
25th August 2011, 07:19 PM
I am restoring, to user status only, an antique Stanley compass plane. I have reduced it to components ready to be shot blast and painted BUT, some covered areas of these components, indicate that the original finish may have been electroplated rather than the greenish-silver hammertone finish that it first appeared to be?

Can anyone help as below ....

has anyone seen a plated Stanley compass plane? and....
as the cosmetic surfaces are heavily pitted I am going to have it painted anyway so can anyone recommend anywhere in (south western) Sydney that I can have the components shot blast and painted ... in greenish silver hammertone ?
fletty

wheelinround
25th August 2011, 07:31 PM
Hans (http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au/stanley%20by%20numbers/Stanley%2020.htm) has some info Fletty Nice score BTW :2tsup:

Claw Hama
25th August 2011, 08:17 PM
Yes Mr Fletty I have seen what I thought were nickel plated compasses, some only had the knobs plated too (I think) I have one but it didn't/doesn't have any bling.

fletty
25th August 2011, 08:48 PM
Hans (http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au/stanley%20by%20numbers/Stanley%2020.htm) has some info Fletty ....

Thanks Ray.
(after a quick run down to the shed) mine is a Stanley 20 and the finish looks remarkably like the smaller pic on Hans website. It seems that the nickel plating goes through a greenish-silver hammertone phase ... before falling off all together.
even though mine is to be a user, it would seem to be more representative if I painted it black.

fletty

elanjacobs
25th August 2011, 09:41 PM
I am restoring, to user status only, an antique Stanley compass plane. I have reduced it to components ready to be shot blast and painted BUT, some covered areas of these components, indicate that the original finish may have been electroplated rather than the greenish-silver hammertone finish that it first appeared to be?

Can anyone help as below ....

has anyone seen a plated Stanley compass plane? and....
as the cosmetic surfaces are heavily pitted I am going to have it painted anyway so can anyone recommend anywhere in (south western) Sydney that I can have the components shot blast and painted ... in greenish silver hammertone ?
fletty

the earlier planes were nickel plated, then they moved to the black finish. I have a 20 1/2 (the 20's big brother) and it is a joy to use