PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

kraits
26th August 2011, 07:16 PM
ive been burning this stuff for years and not too keen on burning it as it's only good for kindeling but, today i thought i might try turning it and i was very suprised how it came out. ive been led to beleive its some kind of naitve pine, anyone seen it before? it has a very strong smell and is very light in weight.

i live in roxby downs s.a which is quite arid but these trees are in abundance here.

MajorPanic
26th August 2011, 08:41 PM
It looks like Cypress pine to me.

Could be black or white variety, grows in NSW & QLD in inland areas.
Burns very hot & smells nice when worked.

AJ
26th August 2011, 08:50 PM
Im agree with MajorPanic. My father loves the smell of this timber when burnt and he used to get it from a property near Wagga Wagga (NSW).It is also called Aust.White Cypress or just Cypress Pine If you want to get more info look up Callintris glaucophylla. Cypress pine is used to make a lot of outdoor furniture as it wont rot and the white ants hate it.

kraits
26th August 2011, 10:22 PM
sorry but your both wrong but, you have helped and the key word is cypress. i started looking up sth aust cypress and i beleive i found it, commonly known as rottnest island pine, murray pine, Callitris preissii or callitris verrucosa also known as mallee pine.

Sawdust Maker
26th August 2011, 10:57 PM
Interesting

can I have some? - would make pretty speccy pens

kraits
27th August 2011, 12:56 AM
no problem, send me a PM and we will arrange something. also have loads of myall and mulga, pen blanks wouldn't be an issue in terms of postage i wouldn't imagine.

AJ
27th August 2011, 06:17 PM
Sorry Kraits, you are right. Murray Pine is what my father called it and he said it grew on ridges in harsh country which is similar to where you have it:doh:

kraits
29th August 2011, 05:52 PM
seems like i too was wrong, i got incontact with arid recovery and was informed its called northern cypress pine.

Cliff Rogers
29th August 2011, 10:23 PM
Northern Cypress Pine Callitris columellaris
Northern Cypress Pine Callitris intratropica

White Cypress Pine Callitris columellaris
White Cypress Pine Callitris intratropica

Murray Pine Callitris columellaris
Murray Pine Callitris glaucophylla
Murray Pine Callitris hugelii
Murray Pine Callitris preissii

Common names can be misleading. :D