PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a turner to do a job for me

groeneaj
27th August 2011, 10:54 AM
Hi,

I'm about to purchase a set of seven chisels - Narex® Classic Bevel-Edge Chisels - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504)

I'm looking for somebody to turn handles for these chisels. I will supply the wood and send everything to you, or if you live in Sydney I can drop it off to you.

I'm after a basic design, nothing fancy which we can discuss if your interested.

If your interested, send me a PM and we can discuss payment.

I really hope there is someone out there willing to help :D

Kind regards,
Andy

Sawdust Maker
27th August 2011, 11:11 PM
Why do you want to rehandle them?

groeneaj
28th August 2011, 06:09 PM
Why do you want to rehandle them?

Because I like the look (nicely figured timber) and feel of sold hardwood handles.

Andy

Byc
29th August 2011, 12:02 PM
I too recently received the set of seven Narex® Classic Bevel-Edge Chisels - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504)
I also do not like the feel of the handles but I will get some use from them before I rehandle them. I think I would make each handle a little different in some way. Maybe an extra ring on one, or a small carving on another, along those lines. Now if I can remember this when I do make the new handles.

ian
30th August 2011, 01:17 AM
Because I like the look (nicely figured timber) and feel of sold hardwood handles.

AndyHi Andy
Given that the Narex chisels have "stained beech handles [with] steel hoops and ferrules for strength, and are oval shaped for comfort and to resist rolling on a bench"
I'd be inclined to reshape them with a rasp or sand paper rather than fit new handles. I'd also keep the steel ferrules to restrict splitting when struck

stuffy
30th August 2011, 12:48 PM
Hi Andy
Given that the Narex chisels have "stained beech handles [with] steel hoops and ferrules for strength, and are oval shaped for comfort and to resist rolling on a bench"
I'd be inclined to reshape them with a rasp or sand paper rather than fit new handles. I'd also keep the steel ferrules to restrict splitting when struck

I wasn't too sure about the handles either. The beech handles are very light in weight with a dark stain and no apparent sealer finish. The hoops and ferrules are rather cheap looking pressed steel.

They would look better with nicely shaped, figured dense hardwood handles with nice brass ferrules......But would they work better?

After playing with them for a little while I like the light weight of the handles, it makes it easy to hold them by the blade for accurate light chopping.

Having no shiny finish makes the handles nicer to hold, warm not slippery.

The oval shape is comfortable to hold for most tasks, not skinny feeling like most round handles, without hard corners like plastic Stanley's or London pattern octagonal handles, and they won't roll off the bench.

I don't think they could withstand a lot of heavy bashing but I won't be using them for that, these are cabinet making chisels not carpenters chisels.

I'm a woodturner and could easily turn some lovely new handles, but I think I'll save that for some of my oldies and leave these as they are, well at least for now anyway.

Best wishes

Steve
:)

Avery
30th August 2011, 08:29 PM
I'm not the world's best turner - I'm probably not the best in my street , but I have successfully done a few chisel handles and I work (very) cheap

If you don't get a better offer I would be happy to help out.

If you want I could help you do it yourself on my lathe.

A sample in red box.

Byc
31st August 2011, 10:53 AM
Not a thing wrong with your turning Avery. Great looking handle.

groeneaj
31st August 2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the offers.... Avery and Nick:2tsup: - very nice of you.

After reading the comments above I might just wait and see how I go once I start using them.

Andy