PDA

View Full Version : Bear

Bear
5th January 2005, 06:00 PM
G'day to everyone
This is the first time I have done anything like this so I only hope it works(posting the message that is). I am about to start restumping my house, I have never restumped before. I realise this is a big and difficult job, but I do have a lot of experience as a handyman. Does anyone have any pointers (besides don't do it). I intend to use concrete stumps as I believe they will last longer (tell me if I am wrong). As I said any pointers will be appreciated

Regards

Bear
<!-- / message -->

Kev Y.
5th January 2005, 10:34 PM
YES DONT DO IT, I know what you said but I just had to...

I had my place re-stumped about 12 months ago, I quizzed the guys and was told.. Stump holes will be 500mm deep, 300mm square, filled with 250mm concrete, stump inserted then topped up with concrete.

NO sole plate just concrete

antcaps are a must, as well as tying them onto the floor joist(?)

I would recommend you still seek the services of a professional team, now-days they have to give a gaurentee(sp) and have a building permit for the work...

It may be an added expense but I feel it is worth the good nights sleep knowing if it does go pearshaped you havesome comeback.

Gumby
5th January 2005, 10:39 PM
Your house is probably your most valuable asset so I agree with Brudda, get it done properly. The resale value will increase. Doing it yourself could lead to problems, especially if you decide to sell it in the next few years.

johnc
6th January 2005, 08:40 PM
Don't do it yourself at the risk of repeating earlier posts, you need to jack the house up evenly or you risk damaging plaster etc. This will mean a lot of fiddling, digging post holes in dry earth is hard going and a short spade with a very heavy handle helps. There have been a number of people killed doing this over the years so if you are hell bent on this project take out plenty of life cover and accident insurance to ensure your loved ones are covered if you stuff it up. By the way did I mention don't do it.

JohnC

gnu52
7th January 2005, 09:30 PM
Hi Bear, the others who posted are correct, it can be dangerous, hard to get right and very time consuming. That said if you are going to have a go consider using steel in place of concrete. Its durable (duragal) and much easier. The following are ideas to consider:

Check with your council as to what they require.

Check with BSA as to what they require. Doing it by the book will save a lot of problems if you sell in the future & council checks show unauthorised work.

Replace a few at a time, avoids jacking the whole house on RSJs. and means you need the min of equipment& dont interrupt the household routine. Safer too.
Use a water level and a mate and find the highest stump and then use it as your benchmark. ie all other stumps come up to its level. If this causes problems with services etc use the stump nearest them as the benchmark. Some will have to come down & others up.
Use adjustable steel stumps, bought or homemade, and use the adjustment for minor corrections now and in the future.
Jack the bearer using pigsties for max support. Watch which side of any half checks you jack on, you dont want to crack the structural timber.
Use hardwood sties & blocks, square & solid, DO NOT use bricks, blocks or cypress pine. Use a 20 ton jack min. Watch for sinking under blocks.
Jack only enough to slip the cap out, I either drill an inch hole thru stump, insert a hi tensile bar and jack the stump out with a jack on both sides, or drag it out with a landcruiser. Either way you will need to cut some off the top of the stump.
If jacked out the hole will possibly only need cleaning out & you can save a lot of digging.( & cement).Use half a 20 Lt drum on side with 2 ropes to feed concrete under tight areas.
Fix the steel stump to the bearer & suspend it in the hole. Half fill with cement, check for plumb, then overfill and dome out to finish . When dry loosen the coach screws, take the weight on the jack, remove sties & lower bearer onto the stump. Retighten & its done.
Repeat 101 times or until sick of it. 5/day, hand mixing is fair going.
If you want to use cement stumps or more info on steel send a message & I will phone or email you. WORK SAFELY, and it is a doable thing. Best of luck, Bill

Bear
12th January 2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the advice I would love more info re different stumps or anything else you can think of. I know I am going agaisnt the advice of the majority. However as you suggested I will do it bit by bit. I wont be starting for a couple of months as I have to clear a site for a garage then erect it and the carport. I am just gathering the info for now Thanks for your time and your reply

seriph1
14th January 2005, 06:57 PM
Hi Bear - I would be happy to have a chat with you about the pitfalls of DIY restumping. being in Kilmore, we are practially neighbours

:)

... and WELCOME to the forum!

FWIW I concur with the other post'ers - restumping is never "a breeze the second time" unlike repairing a set of chairs, regluing a table and so forth. It is a dirty and difficult job, made harder if the home is like mine and 12 inches off the ground.

Could you give us some more info pls. What is the age of the home? - has extensive interior work been done, like replastering, rewiring, kitchen baths etc? How much "fall" is the home suffering from?

you get the idea :D

Do you have any pics? If your home is 1930's or earlier I may have further knoweldge to assist.

Finally, if you PM me I can give you my contact details

Have fun!

Steve