PDA

View Full Version : postage time from US

Pages : [1] 2

welder
1st September 2011, 12:17 AM
I ordered some tools from cdco i got a thing from USPS Your item was processed through our ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) facility on August 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm. it has not changed how long do things usually take to come from the US.

Bryan
1st September 2011, 12:23 AM
Lately, forever. A lot of people have complained. My recent order took over 7 weeks. After I picked it up from the PO, the tracking info got updated. :((

Dave J
1st September 2011, 01:11 AM
As Brian said everyone is complaining at the moment. It used to only take 7-10 days but has blown out lately. It has something to do with Sep 11 security, well thats their excuse anyway.

Dave

matthew_g
1st September 2011, 01:30 AM
I waited quite a few weeks for my tramming tool to arrive, Even though they emails me and stated 8 to 10 days. But it did arrive..

China
1st September 2011, 01:46 AM
I had the same problem, I rang Aus Post and was told there is a unknown delay in the US, last Thursday week 80 tons of goods from the US was landed at Aus customs, the story goes they requested more staff and the request was denied

AUSSIE
1st September 2011, 03:56 AM
Same trouble as you.I thought this lot is lost,but got it yesterday.The longest post time I have ever had to wait from USA

Dengue
1st September 2011, 05:53 AM
I bought some Bessey clamps from Amazon this month, and they arrived in less than a week in two separate packages, one well packaged, the other poorly packaged.

unixbigot
1st September 2011, 07:55 AM
The last heavy order I had from the US (in June) took 18 days.

Parcels larger than 100g seem to be taking much longer now (2-4wk) than smaller ones (7-10d).

Machtool
1st September 2011, 11:07 AM
I ordered some tools from cdco i got a thing from USPS Your item was processed through our ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) facility on August 8, I’ve been following something on the track and confirm also, but it said ISC Chicago Aug 5. It got here this morning.1st September.

I went to the post office last week, they cant track those numbers. So I rang that 131318 number. She could tell me it was still in the States and there’s a 10 – 14 day backlog, coming out of the US. Strong Dollar and Ebay.

I was talking to my local delivery driver, an Auspost contractor. He said they are run off their feet, His van was full, and he had to do another load this morning

Greg Q put me on to this Freight forwarding company.

http://www.shipito.com/ (http://www.shipito.com/)

For $8.50 a parcel, they will accept a parcel on your behalf, and forward it on at cost. Some of their air services are cheaper than USPS.

Regards Phil.

morrisman
1st September 2011, 11:39 AM
I bought a 7/16" UNC helicoil set on EBAY from California..took 5 weeks to get here . The ironical thing is the helicoil kit was made In Australia :oo:

MIKE

Terry B
1st September 2011, 12:39 PM
I bought a music CD from the US that was allegedly posted on 25th July from one of the big online companies. It still hasn't turned up. I assumed it is lost. Maybe there is still hope if other things are taking a long time.

19brendan81
1st September 2011, 02:11 PM
My missus bought a vinyl record from the states that was post marked 13 June which didnt arrive until last week! All my orders from there have been slow lately...bout a month or so. Last year I was regularly getting things in 5-7 days.

kevjed
1st September 2011, 02:19 PM
I'm still waiting on a small package that was posted on the 8th July. One day at a time I guess.
All the best
Kevin

.RC.
1st September 2011, 03:17 PM
I just bought a camera from Hong Kong..... Ordered Tuesday Morning.... Arrived AU Wednesday morning..... Went through customs by 12pm and if I was in Sydney I would have it today... Ironically it will probably take a week to get to me from Sydney...

AU post has gone stupidly slow with postage these days... Over a week from Melbourne and about 5 days from Sydney...

Jekyll and Hyde
1st September 2011, 10:35 PM
I just bought a camera from Hong Kong..... Ordered Tuesday Morning.... Arrived AU Wednesday morning..... Went through customs by 12pm and if I was in Sydney I would have it today... Ironically it will probably take a week to get to me from Sydney...

AU post has gone stupidly slow with postage these days... Over a week from Melbourne and about 5 days from Sydney...

Oh good, it's not just me that thinks that. :((

woodbe
1st September 2011, 11:21 PM
I've got 2 on the go at the moment:

Processed through Sort Facility, August 22, 2011, HAZELWOOD, MO

Processed through Sort Facility, August 31, 2011, DENVER, CO

Will try and remember to update this thread when they arrive. By the sound of it, probably around the end of September...

woodbe

Dave J
2nd September 2011, 05:33 PM
Makes you wonder if it's the government and Australia post doing this to put people off buying from the US to keep the money here?
After all it wasn't long ago there was a push to lower the minimum import duty fee and it failed.
It hasn't seem to affected other countries.

Dave

Big Shed
2nd September 2011, 05:59 PM
Surely Julia wouldn't do that to us, would she?:D:rolleyes:

Noticed this week that Hardly Normal announced their annual result.

Profit up 9.5% on decreasing sales (-6.0%). Anyone would think Gerry is increasing his margins by not passing on the benefits of the stronger dollar.

Or am I being cynical?:doh:

Auskart
2nd September 2011, 06:02 PM
And they wonder why we can't compete with the cheaper imports !!

Dave J
2nd September 2011, 06:10 PM
I haven't seen any savings passed on in the tool and machinery places either, but when the dollar goes down the price will go up again, (even though they bought that stock for cheap)
I noticed this last time and am still waiting for the prices to come down
And they wonder why we buy elsewhere.

Dave

.RC.
2nd September 2011, 07:14 PM
3 days from Hong Kong to my mailbox :)

Over time we will hopefully see more vendors from China.. Postage is cheaper from China to Au then US to AU...

matthew_g
2nd September 2011, 07:31 PM
I know it sounds bad but I buy as little as possiable lacaly these days.....Unless it's gas rental or urgent I go O/S.
Matt

malb
2nd September 2011, 07:49 PM
US Tracking No's beginning with L fall off the system once the goods leave the US as most countries including Oz don't have an equivalent postal class. Once stuff in this category arrived in Oz it goes through Customs and then is handled as a general parcel article, i.e not scanned so the tracking path ends at departed US.

USPS have instituted new parcel security procedures some time ago which typically add a couple of weeks to shipping times.

AUD situation is ensuring that a heap more stuff is coming through the system, mostly stuff under the $1000 per consignment GST/duty limit. Customs is getting swamped handling this, and because there is little additional revenue being generated, the chances of getting a major staffing upgrde for Customs are not good, so backlogs will occur.

On the happy side, there is probably a few weeks to go before the international Christmas rush starts and things get truly bogged down.

Bushmiller
2nd September 2011, 07:57 PM
Surely Julia wouldn't do that to us, would she?:D:rolleyes:

Noticed this week that Hardly Normal announced their annual result.

Profit up 9.5% on decreasing sales (-6.0%). Anyone would think Gerry is increasing his margins by not passing on the benefits of the stronger dollar.

Or am I being cynical?:doh:

Big Shed

Would that be the same Gerry who was almost in tears recently on the TV because the online trade was killing his business. Perhaps he was crying poor:rolleyes:.

I did wonder if he felt a degree of compassion for all the small shops that his mega business sent to the wall many years ago. Ironically now smaller traders could be starting to wreak their revenge, although not according those figures.

Regards
Paul

Bushmiller
2nd September 2011, 08:03 PM
I purchased a book through Amazon on 25 July. They estimated delivery between 19 Aug and 9 Sept. It arrived in under 4 weeks.

I suspect parcels with metal content are slowed a little compared to my paperback package.

Regards
Paul

.RC.
2nd September 2011, 09:33 PM
B
I did wonder if he felt a degree of compassion for all the small shops that his mega business sent to the wall many years ago.

Or the Australian manufacturers he sent broke went he started bringing in cheap goods from overseas for sale at his stores...

Woodlee
2nd September 2011, 10:38 PM
Well I'm quite proud of myself ,I have never bought any thing from Harvey Norman and never will , I hate thier advertising on the radio here in the NT its very annoying ,so annoying in fact it keeps me well away from his store in Darwin.
I'd rather go without than spend one cent in his store.
Kev.

Stustoys
3rd September 2011, 12:24 AM
Rant on
I feel sorry for anyone trying to make anything in OZ. Allen keys that cost $35 here are $7 in USA. Silver steel $120 here, $20 USA. The ER32 collet set I just ordered $462 here, $154 delivered. The books I just order $20 if I go to the shop and pick them up, $10 delivered from OS not sure where etc etc.
Rant off

Now of course I have to sit and wait until they get here.

Stuart

Big Shed
3rd September 2011, 09:25 AM
Rant on
I feel sorry for anyone trying to make anything in OZ. Allen keys that cost $35 here are $7 in USA. Silver steel $120 here, $20 USA. The ER32 collet set I just ordered $462 here, $154 delivered. The books I just order $20 if I go to the shop and pick them up, $10 delivered from OS not sure where etc etc.
Rant off

Now of course I have to sit and wait until they get here.

Stuart

Stuart most, if not all, of what you are describing isn't made here, just imported from (mainly) China, as are the items we buy from the US. If it was made here at least there would be some sort of explanation for the huge price differences we see. People often give the extra costs a business incurs, such as import duties, clearing costs and stocking costs as the reason. But the US companies have those same costs and then we pay delivery costs on top and still get a lot of items at half to one third of what we pay here.

No wonder Australia Post is rushed of their feet. I wonder how the cost of, say, a $45 USPS Flat Rate box is split between USPS and AP?

WillyInBris
3rd September 2011, 09:38 AM
Yes I wouldn't mind the prices if it was made in OZ but as you have said Big Shed nearly everything is made in china so we see the price OS and then buy OS.

We didn't kill the manafacturing sector the retail sector has in their thirst for greedy profits and people like Harvey are to blame.

Auskart
3rd September 2011, 10:27 AM
Prime example, the son and I Race Karts, a PRD Fireball 125 Watercooled engine, designed in Australia, built in China costs $2700 here or $1500 delivered from the US, where's the logic in buy Australian.

Stustoys
3rd September 2011, 10:45 AM
Sorry what I meant was, trying to manufacture something here when your tools and raw materials cost so much more.

Are there infact many import duties left? I thought most of them had gone?

Auskart,
And Harvey would have us believe its that we arent paying GST. Didn't someone here purchase an Austalian printed book from the US for less then they could buy it locally! I wish I could get to the US and back with more money left over than I started with lol.

Stuart

.RC.
3rd September 2011, 10:53 AM
Engineers Black book is cheaper in the US then here... But it is printed here...

It is a paradox..... Due to our higher wages, we can afford to pay more..... But we don't want to pay more and thus wages decrease....

Stustoys
3rd September 2011, 11:26 AM
It is a paradox..... Due to our higher wages, we can afford to pay more..... But we don't want to pay more and thus wages decrease....
I'd understand that if we were talking about the same book printed in two places. In this case we are talking about the same book, the same wages went into printing the books and the same material, so how can one book make a return trip to the US and be delivered to my door cheaper than the book that stayed in AU? If it was a one off I'd just say "well these things happen" but it seems to be on pretty much anything in this field.

If we paid ourselves more by simply doubling the amount of money in our pay, the exchange rate would go down(in theory at least)

Stuart

Big Shed
3rd September 2011, 11:31 AM
It's not only in the tool/engineering area Stuart.

Son just bought 2 pairs of Quicksilver jeans from HongKong, delivered to his door at well below half the Oz price. He reckons the best part of the deal was that he didn't have to in to a "surf" (:?) shop.

Jekyll and Hyde
3rd September 2011, 01:00 PM
Auskart,
And Harvey would have us believe its that we arent paying GST. Didn't someone here purchase an Austalian printed book from the US for less then they could buy it locally! I wish I could get to the US and back with more money left over than I started with lol.

Stuart

Bilstein shock absorbers (theoretically made in Germany) to suit one of my cars - about $750 here, no matter who you buy them from.

Out of America, about $375 posted.

Assume 15% duty applied to all of that (although I don't believe duty is charged on postage!), brings it to about $430, then apply the 10% GST on top brings it to $475.

Go ahead and charge me duty and gst, I'm still saving 35%, even though its been shipped internationally twice, gone through a supply chain and bought at full retail price.

Now if Aussie distributors/importers can't ship direct (and cheaply) from Germany to Australia, and buy the product at a much cheaper price than I could ever manage, allowing them to offer an equivalent pricing, there is something seriously wrong with their business model... I mean come on, I'm paying $100 just in postage, that should allow them a 30% margin right off the bat :((

To be fair though, the store that you walk into and buy from, in a lot of cases is not to blame (particularly with those car parts) - its the top of the supply chain into the country, and the smaller store probably buys through one or more middlemen after that. Harvey Norman and others of course are exempt from this pardon, since they would import their goods directly.

Greg Q
3rd September 2011, 02:49 PM
I think the problem is indeed the distributors milking a handsome income from a small volume of sales. In this age of instant communications distributors don't warehouse goods to justify a mark-up either. Often goods are shipped from the dock to the retailer with a 100% margin added.

Retailers have to maintain their old margins from the days of the 50¢ dollar, hence the even greater price disparity now that we're at approx par.

(Before they had to double a $10 cost, now they have to add 200% to their $5* cost to make the same total profit.)

*Assuming the item now costs them $5 which it should given the currency movement.

Bushmiller
3rd September 2011, 03:21 PM
It is not just the US with these price anomalies.

A while back I bought a Land Rover S3 workshop manual from the UK. In Oz, the same book was $110 plus freight.

The book was shipped to me from the UK and included an Owners manual too for $90.

The disparity is however more marked from the US and it seems to me that their postage rates are excessive. This makes it even more amazing that there is so much money to be saved.

My understanding with import duty, mainly from being involved with other threads on the forum, is that no duty is levied if the goods are valued under $1000.

Regards
Paul

RayG
3rd September 2011, 03:29 PM
Hi All,

While on the subject of shipping times from the US, has anyone managed to unravel the USPS tracking system, for example here's the tracking information for a parcel I'm waiting on....

International Dispatch Ready, Aug-26-11, 14:29 PM
Other, Aug-26-11, 14:27 PM
Enroute, Aug-21-11, 06:56 AM, KEARNY, NJ, 07032
Manifest Ack, Aug-19-11, 14:54 PM, EXETER, RI, 02822
Accept or Pickup(by carrier), Aug-19-11, 12:06 PM, EXETER, RI, 02822

Based on past experience, I know that the next thing is it arrives on the doorstep, and between August 26th and the arrival date, the tracking information never changes...

Fedex and UPS seem much better at tracking... as for Australia Post tracking.. forget it.

Regards
Ray

BobL
3rd September 2011, 03:41 PM
Hi All,

While on the subject of shipping times from the US, has anyone managed to unravel the USPS tracking system.

A guy that worked for USPS told me that USPS tracking stops when it leaves the US because at that point it goes with the cheapest carrier available pathway/carrier that has space. UPS and others generally use the same carriers and are thus able to maintain tracking.

The disparity is however more marked from the US and it seems to me that their postage rates are excessive.
Not if you think that the tool you buy has been made by someone who earns $1.50 / hour but the guy that ships it is paid 10 times that. The disparity is kind bizarre.

Big Shed
3rd September 2011, 03:47 PM
USPS tracking, at least for their larger Flat Rate boxes, used to work right up to the point it left Oz customs, but it no longer does.

As for books, I can't remeber the last new book I bought in Oz, most are purchased fro The Book Depository in the UK, usually at half or below te price in Oz, inclduing delivery to my door (or in my case my PO Box).

They ship not only from the UK, the last book I bought came direct from Switzerland.

The same book here was 2 1/2 times the cost + postage ($13).

mike rolly
3rd September 2011, 04:43 PM
The higher prices we pay in Australia on almost everything is primarily due to the 'middleman'. The price gouging by the importers and then the distributors is unreasonable in Australia.

It is an age of online retail that allows many of us to be able to afford our goods that we otherwise would not be able to pay for in an Australian store.

Bottom line, Australian companies like Harvey Norman need to redesign their entire business model if the want to be competitive.

Mike

Big Shed
3rd September 2011, 04:49 PM
The higher prices we pay in Australia on almost everything is primarily due to the 'middleman'. The price gouging by the importers and then the distributors is unreasonable in Australia.

Mike

That is not the case with companies like Hare & Forbes and Carbatec, to name but two. They are both direct importers of most of the products they sell.

Jekyll and Hyde
3rd September 2011, 05:23 PM
My understanding with import duty, mainly from being involved with other threads on the forum, is that no duty is levied if the goods are valued under $1000.

Correct, no duty or GST levied if the goods are under $1000.

My mentioning duty earlier was simply to make the point that even if, as Harvey Norman wanted, they removed that 'loophole', it will still be considerably cheaper to purchase items overseas.

rsser
3rd September 2011, 06:58 PM
Declared goods value AND postage AFAIK.

Auskart
5th September 2011, 08:36 AM
That is not the case with companies like Hare & Forbes and Carbatec, to name but two. They are both direct importers of most of the products they sell.

They both still Gouge the prices compared to other suppliers, alot of what they sell is now available on ebay under different branding at reduced prices.

It's funny how Gerry Harvey screems poor over the online sales, I feel sorry for the poor bugger being down to his last hundred million, nearly living in poverty , isn't he.

Big Shed
5th September 2011, 08:53 AM
They both still Gouge the prices compared to other suppliers, alot of what they sell is now available on ebay under different branding at reduced prices.

Yes, my point was that they both manage to inflate prices without any help from middlemen.

Most importers and retailers haven't yet learned the internet lesson, consumers are now much more educated pricewise and are willing to do their own importing.

woodbe
5th September 2011, 09:57 AM
Update:

I've got 2 on the go at the moment:

No change on that one, but the Denver one has made it to SF:

Processed Through Sort Facility, September 03, 2011, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)woodbe.

woodbe
5th September 2011, 01:27 PM

Arrived today. 14 days from despatch. Small flatrate box 175g

Tracking still shows it at Hazelwood, so that has lost its usefulness - it used to show internal movements and international despatch as well as internal movements through customs in Australia. Package value was $50US, maybe it didn't go through customs?

woodbe.

WillyInBris
5th September 2011, 04:47 PM
well my Pro Tram System (http://www.edgetechnologyproducts.com/pro-tram-system.html) turned up today at work ordered on the 27th last month so whats that 9-10 days maybe it depends on weight and where in the US its coming from.

.RC.
6th September 2011, 05:10 PM
Just realised I have a race on... A 17kg box coming by boat from Hong Kong and a medium rate flat rate box from the US...

Both sent around the same time...

Big Shed
6th September 2011, 05:55 PM
Two triple start M14x0.8 tap and die sets just turned up.

Posted 18 Aug via USPS First Class International Mail, so about 3 weeks.

Greg Q
6th September 2011, 06:05 PM
Two triple start M14x0.8 tap and die sets just turned up.

Ah darn...you shoulda told me-I just threw out a bucket of those.:D

Big Shed
6th September 2011, 06:06 PM
Ah darn...you shoulda told me-I just threw out a bucket of those.:D

What did you use triple start buckets for???:o:D

Greg Q
6th September 2011, 06:15 PM
For performing a high-speed Ned Kelly:)

welder
6th September 2011, 06:26 PM
well my tools finally arrived today

Jekyll and Hyde
6th September 2011, 08:32 PM
Interestingly, I just received an email today from an Ebay seller based in Hong Kong. Bought some plasma cutter consumeables off him in July, arrived no problems or issues at all.

Bought some small parts off him on the 18th of August, and they haven't yet arrived - I'm not that fussed, I wasn't expecting them till sometime this week anyway, but here is the email I got today:

We are just informed that Australia Custom inspcetion very strictly since 28th July , a large number of post parcel and will be deliver delayed. Your package may be influenced . WE hope you will be patince for that package .

the item have been sent out on 19/08/2011(DD/MM/YYYY) , carried by china post air mail which such as our sale page showing, transit time is 15-30 working day normally. but It maybe 30-60 day to you now . I have no reason to disbelieve it, as I haven't contacted him to ask where my parcel is, or anything like that, and had no issue on the past transaction - this email just turned up out of the blue. Tracking number shows it left china only a couple of days after I paid.

So if this is true, it may go some way to explaining some of the more recent delays in our eagerly awaited parcels of goodies...

Greg Q
6th September 2011, 08:43 PM
Maybe Gerry Harvey got some kind of accommodation from the government to delay internet shoppers' gratification? :oo:

Big Shed
6th September 2011, 08:55 PM
I read somewhere that Aust Customs is struggling to cope with the amount of mail coming in from OS. That report stated that they have asked for extra funding to put on extra staff to deal with the backlog, a request that has been turned down by the Govt.

So, perhaps it isn't all down to USPS, in fact there were a few posts on the Canadian pen forum to say that mail from the US was arriving much quiker during August, a fact one with put down to the large number of temporary staff replacing regular workers who are on summer "vacation". The temporary staff working too hard.:rolleyes:

Jekyll and Hyde
6th September 2011, 09:02 PM
Maybe Gerry Harvey got some kind of accommodation from the government to delay internet shoppers' gratification? :oo:

I love how he's (deservedly) managed to turn himself into the scapegoat for high pricing and postal delays... What else can we pin on him, bad traffic, that hole in my shoe? Maybe the ATO should recruit him for some campaigns? His popularity could sure use a boost! :D

Dave J
6th September 2011, 09:30 PM
Not sure about the Hong Kong postage, as I have received a lot from their over the last month and am still receiving stuff quickly.

Dave

wbleeker
8th September 2011, 06:08 PM
My power draw bar for my Tormach has finally landed in Sydney, it was sent on the 23rd of July,left the US on the 30th of August and arrived in Sydney on the 3rd of September, now Customs have it and are going to charge me nearly fifty bucks for the privilege of filling out their form and then they are also going to charge me GST!
I thought as a taxpayer that I paid their wages, not sure why I have to pay for the form?
Although if I got someone else to do it it would probably cost 150 as it took me nearly half an hour to do the form and look up the item numbers, which were as close as I could find, a lady from customs rang me today to query me, I used the number for "self closing dies" I thing a lot of their stuff is dated, dividing heads are on there and I know they are still quite common but a lot of other more modern stuff isn't on there.
At least there is no duty on it!
Will

woodbe
11th September 2011, 09:17 AM
Movement... Be here this week then I guess.

Customs clearance processing complete, September 10, 2011, AUSTRALIA
Customs Clearance, September 10, 2011, AUSTRALIA
Processed Through Sort Facility, September 10, 2011, AUSTRALIA

Processed Through Sort Facility, September 03, 2011, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
Arrived at Sort Facility, September 03, 2011, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)

Weird that some shipments have Aussie movements recorded and others don't. :~

woodbe

Dave J
11th September 2011, 12:17 PM
I love how he's (deservedly) managed to turn himself into the scapegoat for high pricing and postal delays... What else can we pin on him, bad traffic, that hole in my shoe? Maybe the ATO should recruit him for some campaigns? His popularity could sure use a boost! :D

LOL
He would never read this, he is to busy flying around in his private jet.
Dave

Dave J
11th September 2011, 12:19 PM
My power draw bar for my Tormach has finally landed in Sydney, it was sent on the 23rd of July,left the US on the 30th of August and arrived in Sydney on the 3rd of September, now Customs have it and are going to charge me nearly fifty bucks for the privilege of filling out their form and then they are also going to charge me GST!
I thought as a taxpayer that I paid their wages, not sure why I have to pay for the form?
Although if I got someone else to do it it would probably cost 150 as it took me nearly half an hour to do the form and look up the item numbers, which were as close as I could find, a lady from customs rang me today to query me, I used the number for "self closing dies" I thing a lot of their stuff is dated, dividing heads are on there and I know they are still quite common but a lot of other more modern stuff isn't on there.
At least there is no duty on it!
Will

Did it come to over $1000 au ?

Dave

.RC.
14th September 2011, 05:38 PM
12 days from hong kong

21 days from US

Stustoys
14th September 2011, 05:58 PM
Been a busy couple of days here.
7 days from HK
8 days from USA
9 days from Israel
12 days from UK(from order, not sure when it was posted)

wbleeker
14th September 2011, 06:18 PM
Did it come to over $1000 au ?
Yes Dave it was over the thousand, looks like it has been released and I will get it tomorrow finally! I ordered a Tormach Toolsetter last week with UPS freight and it looks like it will be here tomorrow or Friday.
Will

BobL
14th September 2011, 06:20 PM
12 days from hong kong

21 days from US

That sounds about right as I understand that a lot of US-AUS freight goes via HK.

rsser
14th September 2011, 06:20 PM
If customs choose to inspect a parcel that can add a week to shipping times.

Happened to me; the tracking data I could access had no info on that but the shipper could get it.

Swarfmaker1
15th September 2011, 07:45 PM
I got my Protram from USA today and it was posted on 29th Aug and also an envelope that was posted on 9th september so things can't be all that bad.

wbleeker
15th September 2011, 07:50 PM
My stuff arrived today, from what I can gather we are over the slow period, till the Christmas rush!
Will

Bushmiller
15th September 2011, 08:25 PM
My mortice chisel arrived from the UK today. It was posted on 1/9/11. Makes it about two weeks by my reckoning. Not too bad at all:).

Regards
Paul

Dave J
16th September 2011, 03:08 PM
I was just talking to my parcel post postie and saying good by because he is leaving before the Christmas rush (he is an old bloke) and he said the delays where also because of the weather as planes couldn't fly out up to a week at times.
He took on the job to help a guy out, but he is run off his feet because people would rather shop at home for Australian gear or buy overseas. He is finishing at 5:30 these days and predicts he would be finishing around 7:30 coming up to Christmas like last year.
Sad to see him go as he is a great guy and always helpful.

Dave

woodbe
16th September 2011, 04:04 PM
Delivered, September 13, 2011, AUSTRALIA

Customs clearance processing complete, September 10, 2011, AUSTRALIA
Customs Clearance, September 10, 2011, AUSTRALIA
Processed Through Sort Facility, September 10, 2011, AUSTRALIA

Processed Through Sort Facility, September 03, 2011, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
Arrived at Sort Facility, September 03, 2011, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)

woodbe
26th September 2011, 01:21 PM
A small parcel shipped from NZ on 13/9 arrived today. 13 days from NZ seems like a long time to cross the ditch!

A parcel from the US shipped Sept 7 still hasn't shown up. Online tracking doesn't work at all on that consignment (USPS Priority) but the shipper has checked at their PO and has been able track it their end until it left the US apparently...

Hmmm.

woodbe.

rsser
26th September 2011, 01:30 PM
Takes a while to paddle across the ocean from NZ ;-}

Suspect std postage from there is surface mail.

woodbe
26th September 2011, 01:35 PM
Takes a while to paddle across the ocean from NZ ;-}

So, you're saying they rowed it across?

That explains it. :D

Package said 'Air Mail' but the postage was less than $10 so you could be right.

woodbe

Greg Q
26th September 2011, 01:57 PM
Lately it seems to be improving ever so slightly: Five weeks global priority from the US shipped early Aug, four weeks shipped late Aug. Still a far far cry from the implied service level when the box says "Global Priority".

DHL from Germany is even worse, believe it or not. My last package, which was light yet expensive to ship, took eight weeks. It could have come via Afghanistan with a people smuggler in less time.

(Compared to ten days air mail with stamps and everything from Germany for a pair of oil seals)

woodbe
26th September 2011, 02:25 PM
Oh yea, forgot to mention FedEx

Bought some tyres from tirerack in the US (Indiana). Shipped Sept 10, held up for 'Regulatory Compliance Inspection' in Sydney but still delivered on Sept 22, so 12 days including the 4 day inspection delay.

Even with the cost of freighting ~50kg half way around the planet, savings over local purchase were more than 50% and I landed up with way better rubber than I would have bought locally. (and a much wider range of tyres to select from)

woodbe.

Greg Q
26th September 2011, 02:38 PM
Another classic example of how broken our local retailing is if you can FedEx tyres in cheaper than buying here.:?

RayG
26th September 2011, 02:53 PM

Even with the cost of freighting ~50kg half way around the planet,

woodbe.

Hi Woodbe,

If you don't mind me asking, what was the FedEx freight cost for 50kg from Indiana, to Adelaide.

The reason I ask, is I'm currently embroiled in a protracted discussion with an ebay seller over the costs of shipping an 80lb Omer Robbins compound sine table, and he wants to gouge me on the shipping, I suspect to make up his margin on the sale price, he wants me to pay $750 for Fedex Shipping, versus the $175 I paid when the auction sale was settled... negotiations are proceeding slowly, gradually turning nasty I'm sorry to say.

Regards
Ray

Greg Q
26th September 2011, 02:56 PM
Ray, have him ship it to USA Address & Mail Forwarding (http://www.shipito.com) who will forward it to you for around $20 in fees. Their FedEx rates are around 30% of retail

Greg

On edit, just checked: for a 85 lb box 24" square by 12" deep its $248

rsser
26th September 2011, 02:59 PM

Bought some tyres from tirerack in the US (Indiana). Shipped Sept 10, held up for 'Regulatory Compliance Inspection' in Sydney but still delivered on Sept 22, so 12 days including the 4 day inspection delay.

Even with the cost of freighting ~50kg half way around the planet, savings over local purchase were more than 50% and I landed up with way better rubber than I would have bought locally. (and a much wider range of tyres to select from)

woodbe.

My motorbike club has been ordering bulk buys of tyres from the US. Shipping on just one or two is steep but with more than that the incremental cost is minimal.

There's no competition locally on price as retailers are relatively few.

So I can get a front and rear landed for little more than the cost of a rear alone locally.

And when a decent rear tyre returns only about 5000 km and costs $330 here, it's a laydown misere.

woodbe
26th September 2011, 03:05 PM
Hi Woodbe,

If you don't mind me asking, what was the FedEx freight cost for 50kg from Indiana, to Adelaide.

Hi Ray,

Shipping: $267.09 (US $)

Greg Q,

Amen to that. Another one of our cars (a VW) takes 225/40/18 tyres - last set bought locally in Adelaide were about $400 a pop - good quality tyres. It came up for new boots recently and I shopped around. Found a tyre dealer in Sydney selling on ebay, equivalent quality tyres, $225 a pop. Something is seriously wrong with distribution and retail when there are price discrepancies like that in the same market. Tyres were fastidiously checked by the installer, who could not believe I paid so little for tyres that list in his RRP price list at $460 each.

woodbe.

RayG
26th September 2011, 03:06 PM
Hi Greg,

Thanks for that, they are quoting $278, versus $700 retail for Fedex International Economy. :2tsup:

Regards
Ray

PS. Thanks woodbe, that was around what I was hoping would be the case.

Greg Q
26th September 2011, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I guess your quote was higher living out of Melbourne Ray. Good luck dealing with Reliable. I cannot bid there anymore because I dropped a negative on them, which is just as well, given my low regard for them. Too bad they have cornered the market on nice tools!

Greg

Since shipto is in California you'll have to pay state sales tax

Dave J
26th September 2011, 03:55 PM
There was a guy over on PM that was having troubles with his $6000 odd lathe he bought from them. It had a lock carriage and would not move because a gear was broken which could not have been done in transit
I had seen this type of thing from them before so I sent them an email with a link to the thread and said it would be in their best interest to look into this matter. A couple of weeks they contacted him and he got helped about half with it, but better than nothing.

Another guy bought a rotary table and had it shipped to the UK only to find it was rusted solid. He thinks they sent him a different one because it didn't look like the one he bid on which had no rust.

They have gotten the name of unreliable from many people and I suppose Greg is one of them now.

Dave

Greg Q
26th September 2011, 04:06 PM
The funny thing is that the first thing I bought from them (with trepidation, given the low esteem in which they are held) was a couple of Aloris tool holders which I bought very cheap. The shipping was fast and the standard flat rate box price.

Next time they sent my item to my old address despite the paypal payment address being my current one. Of course I never got it for which they tried to blame me. Had to get a Paypal refund. They never answer emails until after you leave a neg then the reply "Contact us first to solve any problems" ?

The buy auction items by the semi load all the time, never inspect it, just pressure wash and flip onto ebay. As I said, they try to corner the market on desirable tools/machines-too bad they can sometimes be such schmucks.

RayG
26th September 2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I guess your quote was higher living out of Melbourne Ray. Good luck dealing with Reliable. I cannot bid there anymore because I dropped a negative on them, which is just as well, given my low regard for them. Too bad they have cornered the market on nice tools!

Greg

Since shipto is in California you'll have to pay state sales tax

Hi Greg,
I've heard of that Reliable mob, nothing good.. I hope these guys are better, this is what I'm getting shipped..

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250876058665?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

It's been just over a month since the auction closed, and we are still yet to reach agreement on shipping... with the option of using shipto (thanks again) I hope to break the impasse.

Regards
Ray

Greg Q
26th September 2011, 05:56 PM
Sorry Ray, should have asked. I saw Reliable sold one of those last week and jumped to conclusions (the only exercise I get:rolleyes:)

Trying to extract more shipping fees than the listing shows is an ebay problem for which they can be reported. And what's with their $75 domestic shipping?

Anyway, they're in Irvine, close to Irwindale ( Reliable. ) Must be something in the water.

Greg

Dave J
26th September 2011, 07:24 PM
Hi Greg,
I've heard of that Reliable mob, nothing good.. I hope these guys are better, this is what I'm getting shipped..

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250876058665?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

It's been just over a month since the auction closed, and we are still yet to reach agreement on shipping... with the option of using shipto (thanks again) I hope to break the impasse.

Regards
Ray

The auction still says it's $175 postage so whats their problem? It's a bit late to change their mind after they sold it.

I am not sure if this is the same one Greg was talking about, but it is called Shipito and have addresses in California, Nevada, Oregon, Hong-Kong and China.
There are a few others around as well, this one is connected to ebay some how?
Long Jump Express - USA to Australia - Freight Forwarding Service (http://www.longjumpexpress.com.au/)

Dave

Dave J
26th September 2011, 07:28 PM
Just had a look and that one I gave a link to is $299 to join for a year:o and no one offs:no:

Dave

Greg Q
27th September 2011, 12:39 PM
At least shipito will do one-offs. Although I paid the $50 for a mailbox for a year. I have recouped that by consolidating some shipments into one box on a couple of occasions. They aren't free by any means, but for bulky/heavy items their FedEx discounts more than offset their fees.

The best value of all is still finding a seller who has 19.9 lbs of stuff you need who will cram it into a 20lb flat rate USPS box however.

.RC.
27th September 2011, 02:13 PM
Or find one that crams 20kg into a flat rate box and sends it over ;)

Greg Q
27th September 2011, 02:20 PM
LOL:2tsup::2tsup:

I'm glad that I am almost all tooled up...I'm almost broke getting a lathe and mill ready to rock.

Only a few more hundred kilos to go:wink:

woodbe
27th September 2011, 04:26 PM
Here's another one just to show how inconsistent the post is.

Ordered a small item (fits in an A4 envelope) Air Mail charges $6US

Shipped September 21
Delivered September 27

6 Days shipping!

Go figure.

woodbe.

Swarfmaker1
28th September 2011, 10:02 AM
I suspect that the recent delays may have been compounded by Customs and Quarantine problems here in Aus.

Also has anyone notice excessive delays from Amazon.com orders. I'm convinced that some of my packages end up on the plane to Austria, I've seen the customs stickers over stamped with markings from Amsterdam and Deutche Post for redirection and then they come via Auckland. I've had 1 shipment go missing over the last 10 years and that probably explains it. I thought Amazon had a new fangled computerised system. I'm perplexed as to why something destined for Australia should go via Europe.

rsser
28th September 2011, 11:17 AM
I suspect that for some lines Amazon do bulk shipments to NZ and redistribute from there.

morrisman
28th September 2011, 11:47 AM
Frank at CDCO always helps out..he crams all he can into the 9kg flat rate boxes .I received a box from him in rather quick time .... just goes to show that sometimes, the cross Pacific mail service is reasonably fast . But on other occassions, it's back to the wind jammer, square rigger type sail boat service, and the winds dont co-operate all of the time . There isn't any stability to it all .

Mike