PDA

View Full Version : Small cast iron straight edges from Germany

jhovel
1st September 2011, 11:47 PM
GergQ alerted me and a couple of others to an eBay item in Germany:
Abrichtlineal Messbrücke Messbalken 490x40mm, | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270636458014)
It's a small "camelback" style straight edge that is precision scraped and finished. It comes in blue, hammertone blue or hammertone green (no choices).
The price is quite good. So I contacted the seller in German for a shipping price and they got back to me today with an offer of Eu130.00 (~ AUS$174.50) complete, airmailed to Aus (German VAT deducted already).
I checked with machtools (Phil) and he suggested I post the find here as he considers it a prretty fair price.
If anyone wants assistance to check or confirm anything in German with them, let me know and I'll post suitable German text here.
Cheers,
Joe

welder
1st September 2011, 11:52 PM
i wonder how much postage to Switzerland would be my fathers family lives there so he regularly visits.

jhovel
2nd September 2011, 01:32 AM
According to Versand nach Deutschland | Portokalkulator | Deutsche Post (http://www.portokalkulator.de/portokalkulator/std) (German Post office postage calculator) it would cost Eu30.00 ..... not cheap either, is it?
They weigh 5kgs packaged up according to the information I received. I should have mentioned that in the first post.
Joe

Bryan
21st September 2011, 09:29 AM
Did anyone else get one of these? Mine arrived yesterday, 18 days from purchase. Very nicely packed, with a thick catalogue full of neat stuff. A lot of it is Chinese, but not all. Without pricing and closer photos it's hard to tell. Will see if I can assess how straight the straight edge is. Thanks to Joe for the heads-up.

jhovel
22nd September 2011, 12:27 AM
Good stuff Bryan! Thanks for letting us know. GIve us some more feed-back once you have checked it out - and show us what you are using it for!

Joe

Bryan
22nd September 2011, 12:59 AM
I was expecting to have to scrape it in, but I was horrified when I sat it on my plate. It rocked badly. Turned out to have matching dings on two opposite corners. I filed the burrs mostly down and it doesn't rock now. Can still see a whisker of light under it. Haven't spotted it yet. Will bring it to the course for show & tell. Interestingly, where I've filed it you can now see fine flaking marks.

jhovel
22nd September 2011, 01:31 AM
The original ad said it was precisoin scraped! That is a sad surprise....