PDA

View Full Version : Beryllium copper

hughie
2nd September 2011, 02:29 PM
Heres a question for the gurus. I looking to weld Beryllium copper with my TIG, Iam aware of the health hazards. But are there any things to look out for in the welding process.

Karl Robbers
9th September 2011, 12:15 PM
Heres a question for the gurus. I looking to weld Beryllium copper with my TIG, Iam aware of the health hazards. But are there any things to look out for in the welding process.

AC current with a zirconated electrode and the correct filler material for the alloy being welded. Mechanical cleaning of the parent metal would do no harm either.
I also believe that the resulting weld will be of lower mechanical properties to the parent metal.
You mention that you are aware of the health implications, but I will restate the need for respiratory protection and fume management, consider a respirator and fume extraction or set up a fan of some type to circulate the air and force fumes away from you still while wearing respiratory protection of some type, (not a paper dust mask either).
It pays to remember the old saying "you never see an old welder, they're all dead" at times like this
What exactly are you welding and why?

ian
9th September 2011, 08:04 PM
Heres a question for the gurus. I looking to weld Beryllium copper with my TIG, I am aware of the health hazards. But are there any things to look out for in the welding process.but do you have the appropriate work environment and PPE?
and have you considered those who might wash your clothes?

hughie
11th September 2011, 11:13 PM
What exactly are you welding and why

I am doing some research on spark plugs and intend to modify the central plug electrode. The amount of weld time is very little, probably with the B-copper less than 5 minutes all told.

but do you have the appropriate work environment and PPE?
and have you considered those who might wash your clothes?

PPE etc ,as for washing I do my own work clothes.

ian
12th September 2011, 11:00 PM
I am doing some research on spark plugs and intend to modify the central plug electrode. now I'm really intrigued

what I was alluding to with the work environment is the possibility of third party exposure to Be or BeCu that settles on surfaces in the work environment or "down stream" where your exhaust stream exists

wheelinround
12th September 2011, 11:04 PM
This sounding more intriguing as it goes.

You sparking up a new wonder tool Hughie?:U

Hunch
13th September 2011, 08:36 AM
Turn a bit of it for valve seats, never tried welding. With the small percentage of Be involved, I'd expect it welds almost like copper.

Do know when Porsche were playing around with an Al Be mix with something seeing around 800~1000C, they were advised of the potential health liabilities and quickly scuttled that idea, so the respirator suggestion seems prudent. Always thought most plugs have rare earths as electrodes too.