PDA

View Full Version : My father's day present.

Sturdee
4th September 2011, 11:59 AM
For quite some time I've wanted a small mini lathe to go with the H &F MC900 I've got, as these two would complement each other.

However I wanted one that not only had Electronic variable speed but also matched spindle thread size with my existing lathe as I've now got a size able collection of chucks and jigs (and more planned) using face plates.

I know that you can get other inserts and keep changing them but the very reason I bought multiple chucks, to avoid fiddling about changing jaws, stopped me getting one earlier.

However recently Pop's shed, a new store in our area, changed the specs of their mini lathe so that it fulfilled my needs.

So I wanted it for father's day and have asked for cash donations to assist in purchasing it. Having met with approval I got the area ready for the lathe to be installed.

Peter.

Sturdee
4th September 2011, 12:05 PM
The area I wanted to put the lathe was on the bench behind the existing lathe, so that all the tools, jigs and chucks are readily available for use.

The bench was a bit too high so I had to cut a recess into it to lower the bench, connect a dust collection output, and install extra lighting.

Photo 1 shows the bench before starting, photo 2 shows the cut out with a new bench top in place. This benchtop is the sink cutout of a kitchen bench which is finally getting some use. The final photo shows the sides of the cutout fixed up and the touch up painting done.

Peter.

Sturdee
4th September 2011, 12:15 PM
I then fixed up the dust extraction hose attached to a flexible shaft so it can be moved to where it's needed and installed the extra lighting.

I wanted to install some enclosed see through storage boxes on the back wall, but unfortunately CT has deleted an excellent item from their range with their newfangled cheesy grinning cattle dog.

So I will be building some shelving and using containers from K mart, which will be cheaper as well.:D

For those interested the lathe specs are here (http://www.popsshed.com.au/Product_Main.aspx?cid=8&scid=56&pid=23). BTW Pop's shed will give a generous discount to those purchaserd who are members of a woodturning club. :2tsup:

So it was cheaper then their website price. This together with my family contributions make this a wonderful and affordable father's day present.

Photo 1 shows the lathe with the dust collection hose and photo 2 shows the extra lathe lighting.

Finally the last photo shows the lathe in detail.

Peter.

springwater
4th September 2011, 12:47 PM
Onya Mr Sturdee :2tsup: that's a comfy hut you've made yourself. What's that thing supporting the end of the dust collection hose, can you buy them or has it been adapted from something else? And have you mowed the grass yet :D

Peter36
4th September 2011, 12:52 PM
Looks like you knew you were going to be getting that .:D
Great set up :2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
4th September 2011, 12:56 PM
Peter, that's one tidy workshop you have got there. Every time that I tidy up mine it only takes a few days to mess it up again. Must remember to put things back in their proper places. The missus made me move my wood pile under our back verandah to the back yard. Can't understand her reckoning as the wood pile is still there, just somewhere else.

dai sensei
4th September 2011, 12:57 PM
Looking good Sturdie, great set-up :2tsup:

$395 for a variable speed lathe is pretty dam good, perfect for a pen-turner.

letzzzgo
4th September 2011, 01:48 PM
Great set up Peter!!!.... I'm envious :)

Sturdee
4th September 2011, 03:11 PM
Onya Mr Sturdee :2tsup: that's a comfy hut you've made yourself. What's that thing supporting the end of the dust collection hose, can you buy them or has it been adapted from something else? And have you mowed the grass yet :D

Craig, I made them using the flexible arm of an old desk lamp, if you want I'll take some photos next week to show the details.

Yes I did mow the lawn last week before I started on the changes.

Peter.

Sturdee
4th September 2011, 03:13 PM
$395 for a variable speed lathe is pretty dam good, perfect for a pen-turner.

It is a pretty good price and with the 10 % discount for being a member of a wood turning club it's even better. :2tsup:

Peter.

kcam
4th September 2011, 04:58 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:Great all round result Peter,

wheelinround
4th September 2011, 07:30 PM
:o Peter thats almost a Jet with out the price tag and badges. Well done

Now we know why all that new wood storage.:;

Yes know what you mean going from 1x10 to 30x3.5 between lathes is APIA but nice having the two.

springwater
4th September 2011, 08:47 PM
Craig, I made them using the flexible arm of an old desk lamp, if you want I'll take some photos next week to show the details.

Yes I did mow the lawn last week before I started on the changes.

Peter.

That'd be good Peter. I adapted and old desk lamp myself but for another purpose and I was just wondering if you'd done the same as it's hard to tell from the photos.

Treecycle
5th September 2011, 02:03 PM
I like your style Sturdee. Nicely laid out and a place for all the goodies. Good idea with the old flexible arm from the lamp.

Sturdee
6th September 2011, 08:29 PM
So I will be building some shelving and using containers from K mart, which will be cheaper as well.:D

Managed to get the containers, but because I wanted 27 of them I had to go to three different stores to get them, so it took a whole morning driving around. :~ They are a good quality of clear plastic and a good size and were only $ 1.00 each.

So I made the shelving using recycled melamine boards, touched up the edges with paint and filled up the containers with various bits and pieces, all to do with turning various ornaments and knicknacks.

It finishes that side of rather neatly. Another job finished.

Peter.

kcam
6th September 2011, 08:43 PM
Great storage unit Peter, that looks like a good ol' GMC router/trimer with a sled that is very much like my combo, thou' my sled is gathering dust with the trimmer mounted permanently under my router table as a second router for dovetailing...lasted a bit longer than the 2yr warranty. cheers Kerry

Sturdee
6th September 2011, 08:45 PM
That'd be good Peter. I adapted and old desk lamp myself but for another purpose and I was just wondering if you'd done the same as it's hard to tell from the photos.

Craig,

Here are the details of the DC hose adapters/ holders.

Firstly the DC hoses are not the standard types, but came from GMC with their single bag DC's which I bought as boosters for my system. They are very corrugated and when all pushed in they are only about 500mm long but extend to 3000mm fully extended. This allows them to be bent around tight corners and pulled out to the length needed. See photos 1 and 2.

I use them for the lathe but also for cleaning the bench and floor after turning by sliding one into a hand or floor wand, when extending them is very handy.

The holders are made with the flexible shaft of old desk lamps. That means they can be bent in the right shape as needed. I have 2 of them as per photo 3 , one with the base attached to a block of wood and the other bolted through a bit of plastic pipe nailed to a wooden block as per photo 4.

The top of the holders are small pieces cut from a 4" plastic drainage pipe. The shaft is bolted through a hole cut into it and another short piece is glued in the other to act as a stop as per photo 5.

Of course if making a jig or tool is worth making then it's also worth finishing it of by giving it a coat of paint. It protects it and gives a more professional appearance, so I've painted them black. :2tsup:

Peter.

Treecycle
6th September 2011, 09:07 PM
I have one of those GMC dust collectors. Is the trunking still available somewhere? I like the way it pushes back together lengthwise, and you can bend it to suit different situations.

Sturdee
6th September 2011, 09:11 PM
I have one of those GMC dust collectors. Is the trunking still available somewhere? I like the way it pushes back together lengthwise, and you can bend it to suit different situations.

I don't know if they are still available. If someone knows please post the details as I would like some more as well.

Peter.

RETIRED
6th September 2011, 09:13 PM
Not sure if I saw some at Jim Carrolls or it may have been Woodworkers Warehouse.

TTIT
6th September 2011, 10:50 PM
SEQld Woodworking Supplies and Carbatec have a very flexible clear hose that crunches to about 900mm and extends to about 3000mm. I got a length to try and ended up buying a second. Made a carrier sort of gadget to keep it short and reduce overall length while it's connected to the bandsaw but then the whole lot pulls out when I want to clean up around the saw or hook up to another machine :2tsup:

artme
9th September 2011, 01:40 PM
Nice collection of presies everyone!:):)

Good set-up there Sturdee.