PDA

View Full Version : Home Design Software

johnmc
6th January 2005, 12:25 PM
I'm in the market for some home design software. I primarily want to redesign my kitchen, design a carport and design a workshop.

I would like to be able to produce basic floorplans and also 3D visualisation.

Can anyone offer suggestions ?

Thanks

John

aussieglen
6th January 2005, 04:14 PM
I am about to enrol with TAFE at Brackenridge (North Brisbane) for a Computer Aided Three Dimensional Drawing course - evenings 5pm to 8pm Cost $58.

Maybe of interest to you. TAFE contact phone number is 131 248
Hope this helps.:)
Peter.

SWR
6th January 2005, 05:49 PM
I'm in the market for some home design software. I primarily want to redesign my kitchen, design a carport and design a workshop.

I would like to be able to produce basic floorplans and also 3D visualisation.

Can anyone offer suggestions ?

Thanks

John
John,

Go and buy Januarys copy of PC Authority - it contains a free verson of IMSI Floorplan 3D Ver. 7

Haven't tried it yet but it looks okay and it will only cost you $8.50.

Give it a go!

Cheers,

Scott in Peakhurst.

johnmc
10th January 2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks Scott. I actually subscribe to PC Authority but have not thoroughly checked out the January edition yet.

Rocker
10th January 2005, 10:48 AM
Aussieglen,

Can you tell me which software that TAFE course is using? If it is TurboCAD, I might give it a go.

Rocker

doublejay
10th January 2005, 11:16 AM
The IMSI site http://www.imsisoft.com/free_trials.asp offers free trial of a range of software including turbocad and designcad.

aussieglen
10th January 2005, 01:03 PM
Aussieglen,

Can you tell me which software that TAFE course is using? If it is TurboCAD, I might give it a go.

Rocker
Although they do not say in their correspondence I do believe it is AutoCad though not sure which version - maybe 2004. The first evening commences 31 JANUARY.

Their email address for details is :- [email protected]

Hope this helps

Aussieglen

Rocker
10th January 2005, 01:56 PM
Aussieglen,

Thanks; I think I will give it a miss then; Autocad 2005 is US$3750, and even AutoCAD LT is US$899 - way beyond my price range.

Rocker

aussieglen
10th January 2005, 03:56 PM
Aussieglen,

Thanks; I think I will give it a miss then; Autocad 2005 is US$3750, and even AutoCAD LT is US$899 - way beyond my price range.

Rocker
I have a "hand-out" from TAFE during the AutoCad Introduction course I did last semester (8 weeks one evenig per week for 3 hours) which shows that Tertiary students are able to purchase the Inventor Series 8 which includes AutoCAD 2004, Autodesk Inventor 8, Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2004 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2004 all in the one package for the total sum, of $275. (there is 2 yr limit to the licence with possible extensions)

So the cost of the course plus the students package seems approachable.

Might be worth a second thought.
Aussieglen

Rocker
10th January 2005, 05:46 PM
Aussieglen,

Thanks for the info. I think I will just keep plugging away at learning TurboCAD by the time-honoured method of RTFM. It helps to keep Alzheimer's at bay :)

Rocker

jackiew
10th January 2005, 10:20 PM
don't forget to try your library. I borrowed a copy of a Stanley ( as in the tool manufacturer ) home design package on CD from the local library over christmas.

Its not desperately intuitive but comes with an ok booklet. The biggest disadvantage is that while you can toggle between metric and imperial all the sizings of doors windows etc are still in imperial ... its designed for the american market.

it allows you to do the 3 d thing and walk through the rooms and look at things from different angles which is quite neat.

Yvette S
16th January 2005, 02:35 PM
Hi John,

May not be of use to you but I have been having a ball with a program called Kitchendraw V4.5. It allows you to design kitchens and bathrooms quite easily and will also give you full perspective from any angle as well as 3D. I presume that you would be able to do other designs also. It also allows you to run an animation. Despite some people here laughing at the fact that when you put in a window it gives you a view, it is quite handy. It was a free download and you get 30 hours free of using the program. I have done about 6 different version of the bathroom and also the ktichan and have only used 5 hours so far. You can purchase additional hours if you need to but I have found it to be quite good. If you want some examples of what it does, look at my previous posts or let me know and i can upload for you.

mathewdaniels
9th March 2008, 09:26 PM
Hey John, i have recently redesigned my kitchen with 3d home architect version 9. the software only cost $29.95 for all the basic home design needs.

cheers
mathew :2tsup:

www.3dhomes.blogspot.com (http://www.3dhomes.blogspot.com)

barney118
11th March 2008, 07:10 AM
See if you can get a copy of autocad LT is is quite good. I bought a copy of Turbocad $300 and Im not happy with it vey slow to do something simple eg copying and offsetting then trimming lines etc, I will check out the TAFE option too as I have done Autocad back in Ver 12-13 and you cant beat it.

Turbo cad still in the box and can stay there.

Ashwood
11th March 2008, 08:28 AM
AutoCAD, etc are "proper" design software, but they take too long to learn for someone who is just interested in getting his/her basic home floorplans & 3D views done.

As mentioned by Mathewdaniels, 3D home architect is a more user friendly option for those who done want to get bogged by software learning. It's very purpose specific - you click & draw walls, click and insert windows/doors, click & select furniture, and click to view the 3Ds. Well, almost but not quite that simple, but much much easier than the "proper" CAD software for those who want such functionality. I've found the roof design function to be tricky, but otherwise, it's a cinch for basic home interior planning.

3D home architect is by Broderbund. There are many similar programs out there, but at the time I got mine, this was the one recommended by various people for ease of use & reasonable functionality.

DvdHntr
11th March 2008, 09:24 AM
Definitely go with one of those Architect style programs. To set up and get a good result with AutoCAD would take a newbie too long.

Barry_White
11th March 2008, 11:30 AM
If you want a free easy to learn and use drawing program download Open Office and use the "Draw" module. I tried it out the other day and found it very simple to use and I have used Autocad Lite, Deltacad, Publisher, Turbocad and several others and found Open Office Draw the simplest of all to use.

http://www.openoffice.org/index.html

aussieglen
11th March 2008, 12:41 PM
In Brisbane in 2006 I did an evening course with TAFE (2hrs/week) for 12 weeks at a retired (concession) cost about $30 for the course in Autodesk Inventor 8. You can buy the student later version for a cheap price too. After experiencing Corel Draw , then AutoCad 2004, and then Inventor I think Inventor takes the cake - quite easy to use, 3d, and intuitive and I have only used Inventor since. Currently using Autodesk Inventor 2008 and have no need to try anything else - I can recommend it.
Aussieglen.