PDA

View Full Version : Chased threads

powderpost
7th September 2011, 11:55 AM
Haven't chased a thread for a while, (or anything else for that matter :wink: :D), so I dug out the chasers and had a go. The first one is a lidded box for crochet needles. Made from black iron bark. This was a request and prompted the thread cutting. The second is just a small box made from an unknown species, with a n open grain that was difficult to thread.

Jim

cookie48
7th September 2011, 03:31 PM
Both look nice. Never tried that before. Might happen one year

orificiam
7th September 2011, 07:31 PM
Nice Work Jim. I'll give it a go one of these days.
Cheers Tony.:)

jefferson
7th September 2011, 09:33 PM
Dare I say it, Jim, that you must have been bored to do some chasing? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I assume you did it the "right" way or did you use one of those machines from NZ?

wheelinround
7th September 2011, 09:42 PM
So you have been chaste for a while Jim :p

The skill, the finish,
the tools used??

powderpost
7th September 2011, 10:42 PM
Ok, Ok, I will admit there is no glue joints, in fact both pieces came from the same piece. Just needed to confirm that it is possible to make something from a single bit of wood.

Yes Jeff, it was done "the right way" using Sorby hand thread chasers. Thread pitch is 20 tpi

Ray, I thought it was easy to do, but that is for others to judge I suppose. Because it was a request and to be used, I sanded it to 800# and applied a coat of Ubeaut trad wax. And the other bit... I no nought about that to which you refer.... :D

Jim

Sawdust Maker
7th September 2011, 11:06 PM
Yup

Nice work, Jim