PDA

View Full Version : Supercheap engine crane

Darren_111
7th September 2011, 12:41 PM
For anyone needing to move their lathes etc around - The Supercheap engine crane is on special for $199 (save $163). Its probably normally overpriced, but that's a good discount. Rated to 1250Kg with 4 position boom. Its similar to H&F model but rated higher. Also comes with a free load leveller.

Edit: Sale is from 07/09/2011 to 17/09/2011

Hope its useful to someone.
Darren

simonl
7th September 2011, 01:28 PM
I was looking at one the other day as I wanted to compare as I just finished building my own. Why? Well I had some time on my hands and the steel was scrap steel that was given to me.

Anyway, I was quite impressed by the gauge of the steel and construction. If I was to buy one I would probably buy the super cheap one..

Cheers

Simon

WillyInBris
7th September 2011, 08:07 PM
Cheers Darren guess I will go have a look on the way home tomorrow.

Jon_77
9th September 2011, 05:23 PM
Good price, especially given the bonus leveller.

They all used to be rated @ 2 ton, apparently somebody injured themselves, and surprise surprise, and they lowered the rating.

I have a Supercheap crane, rated @ 2 ton, the ram is supposedly good for 8 tons (which it's not), but neither are the H&F ones for that matter.

simonl
9th September 2011, 05:49 PM
If you look at the moments of inertia about the ram, it does not take much heavy lifting to get up around the 4 tonne of load on the ram.

Looking at the dimensions on some of the cranes on ebay. With the boom all the way housed (max lifting capacity) it looks like the lifting point (where the hook is) is twice the distance from the ram to the pivot point. Lifting 2 tonne would place 4 tonne at the pivot point, which means approx 6 tonne on the ram.

These calcs are approximate as it also depends on the angle that the boom is at etc etc. But it doesn't take long for these moments and forces to add up.

Just recently built my own engine crane and went through some basic calcs to see what I was in for and to see if I really needed to buy an 8 tonne ram. I wouldn't use anything less that for sure!

Simon

Darren_111
12th September 2011, 07:08 PM
When I got my crane from H&F it was rated at 1 tonne (min boom). The sales assistant said they test them at 2 tonne. He also said that many of the supposed 2 tonne cranes are identical to the 1 tonne one... not surprising.

Thats interesting about the rating reduction. I remember the Supercheap Auto ones being stamped 2 tonne.

Dave J
12th September 2011, 07:36 PM
I used one of those rams on my ute crane, and when I went to the text book and worked it all out, the lifting weight quickly drops off the further you go out.
I do believe the rams are rated at 8 ton, but boy do you know your jacking it up.
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/top720/img020Large.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/top720/img017Large.jpg

As for the engine cranes being the same for both weights, some might do it but mine has a lot heavier steel and is a 2 ton.
When I bought it, I had a choice of one with a 1.2 ton air assisted ram or this one which was built with heavier steel, both for $300. My way of thinking is you can replace the ram, but you would have to completely remake the crane to get thicker steel, so I bought the heavier one.

I have lifted to capacity with mine at the 1 ton mark and get some flex, After seeing the Supercheap ones, I would never try lifting 2 ton with them no matter what they said. They are the same as the one I could have bought with the air ram.

Dave

dakotax3
13th September 2011, 11:38 AM

LordBug
13th September 2011, 04:21 PM
I've got the H&F crane, worth its weight in gold.
Have lifted more than the quoted max. at full extension too many times, but I haven't seen any actual flex happening. I still treat it veeeeery carefully at those times though.

Dave J
13th September 2011, 09:06 PM
Sorry, I miss quoted and misled above about it flexing at capacity.
I just thought back and the flex was coming lifting my mill at the 500kg full extension mark, because it needed the reach to get up their and the mill weighs somewhere around 850-1000kg. It was only to lift it high enough to get the pallet jack under it when I was raising it up. It did it with some flexing as I said and was fairly hard to jack, but was manageable.

I just measured it up and it is all 5mm tubing and the U shaped pieces that the legs sit in and where to arm bolts on the post is all 8mm thick.

Bryan has a 3 ton crane, from what I have seen on ebay they are a big step up from these types and so is the price.

Dave

Gaza
13th September 2011, 09:49 PM
I

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/top720/img017Large.jpg

Dave

did you make the crane, if so you are bloody champion

Dave J
13th September 2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks,
I built the crane, tray, tool boxes, and rebuilt the whole truck from ground up over a 3 1/2 year period. I also did/do all the polishing at home.
I have never got around doing a right up on it as it was 8-9 years ago before my internet days, but we still have it.
Here is a little bit more on it.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f116/nissan-720-my-avatar-114310/

After extensive reading though text books it started life as a drawing on the shed floor, then into some simple pieces of timer to make sure it was all going to fold up right. It was a struggle between reach, and keeping it low on the tray so it didn't look out of place. I took the sheet for the main arm to the sheet metal folders as I cant fold that thick, but all the rest was done at home.
I have lifted a Dodge 360 V8 truck engine at 3/4 reach with all accessories like the clutch bell housing, air etc with no problems.

My next one is going to be a miniature knuckle boom crane with a 1.5 ton lifting capacity. You often see them on semis and they fold up like a number 4. No one makes one that small so it will be a challenge and mine will fold up as 1 post not much bigger than this one.

Dave

Darren_111
14th September 2011, 02:30 AM
OK, first prize goes to Dave. That's a fantastic crane, well done.
Second prize goes to dakotax3 for the most amazing use of a crane, OMG!

I was very happy with my H&F crane... now I feel a bit inadequate.

eskimo
14th September 2011, 09:20 AM
looks like this post is heading in the direction of "Mine is bigger than yours":D

Great work on that tilt tray and crane Dave

Dave J
14th September 2011, 12:40 PM
looks like this post is heading in the direction of "Mine is bigger than yours":D

Great work on that tilt tray and crane Dave

No, I only posted mine to show the rams do have the 8 ton lifting power. I doesn't look like dakotax's has one anyway?
I built mine before my injury, but helps out of my neck problem now, well worth the effort for anyone thinking of making one for their ute.

Dave

dakotax3
14th September 2011, 03:46 PM
Same here, I just did it for a laugh. Never knew they made pigs as big as that.

Back to topic: I am constantly surprised by the workmanship displayed by members of this forum, in all fields of work, Dave J included.

Dave J
14th September 2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks, and I agree there is a lot of talented people on here in a range of subjects.
It's the work that interests me, not the finished product. This is why I am thinking of modifying a few things to keep me interested in it.
I remember seeing your crane posted up a year or so ago, not sure what the thread was though.

Dave

Darren_111
14th September 2011, 06:44 PM
Yep, very talented, and very helpful. :2tsup: