PDA

View Full Version : Triton TR001 Surge Problem

Mike_R
8th September 2011, 09:28 PM
Of late my Triton TR001 router surges when in use. It has always been used in the Triton Router table and was a very reliable tool.

In its current use it seems to be varying its speed throughout the operation. I first started to notice this as a change in pitch of the motor and then realised that the speed of the bit seemed to be fluctuating. I always use it on the #5 setting (fastest). It completes the job satisfactorily each time but I keep wondering if it is going to pack up on me at any moment.

Any suggestions on possible causes? The brushes are OK and I have given it a good clean over with a vacuum and compressor.

rayintheuk
9th September 2011, 06:44 PM
Sounds like it could be the variable speed controller (TRA027), which sits under the vented black plastic top. It can be seen at the top of the picture below and is held in place by the same screws that affix the top.

The electrics are snap-connectors and it's simple to replace. HTH :)

Ray

http://www.raygirling.com/images/trrep05.jpg

Chris Parks
10th September 2011, 12:47 PM
Another possibility is the bearings beginning to seize.

Mike_R
10th September 2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks to each of you for your advice. It gives me some insight into what may be developing.

acmegridley
11th September 2011, 09:42 AM
Make sure there are no knots in your lead:q

Woodlee
13th September 2011, 01:10 PM
My TRA001 does this as well , but it is due to a fall from the table and landing on the end cover , at the time triton was gone along with GMC and I had a lot of trouble trying to get any thing out of GMC.
I never got around to replacing the speed controller so mine still surges , but only occasionally and I noticed that it only happens around start up , once it has been running for a minute or so it stops surging.When it finally irks me enough or it spits the dummy Ill replace it.
Kev.

Mr Brush
13th September 2011, 04:25 PM
Since these speed controllers seem to be a fairly common point of failure on Triton routers, does anyone (Ray?)know what component on the PCB is letting go?

Mine is showing the symptoms too, and since I have a soldering iron the obvious first port of call is too change the dud component on the speed controller board. Surely it can only be a semiconductor (rather than passive component), and obtainable from electronic component suppliers?

rayintheuk
13th September 2011, 06:41 PM
Since these speed controllers seem to be a fairly common point of failure on Triton routers, does anyone (Ray?)know what component on the PCB is letting go?
A while back, when Triton had a UK HQ in Caerphilly, I might have been able to find out more, but that option is now long gone. The current distributors of Triton in the UK are just that - distributors - and while they carry a decent range of spares now (including the variable speed controllers), their interest is solely in sales, not R & D.

It could, as has been suggested by Mr Brush, be a simple component failure. It could also be failure of the contact cement of the heatsink, or a couple of other problems. Regretfully, I don't have a faulty one to experiment with, otherwise I'd get the iron out! :)

Ray

Mr Brush
13th September 2011, 06:59 PM
Cheers Ray

My MOF001 is due a strip down and clean out (following your excellent instructions), so I'll take a look at the speed controller board while I'm at it.

My background is in electronics/telecomms, so I do have a vague idea what to look for !

The fault is most likely with the component handling/switching power (e.g. thyristor), or the heat-sinking of that component. It does seem curious that many people have experienced a gradual degradation of the speed controller, rather than the usual catastrophic failure. As all electronics fiddlers know, once the magic smoke escapes from a component it is damned hard to get it back inside......:(

Phil Hansen
19th September 2011, 01:41 AM
Mine does the same.
Problem is the whole speed unit is encapsulated so sort of impossible to replace components.
There is a place in the UK who has spares. Cannot find the name now. Was something like 50 pounds. Still cheaper than a new router.
Have though about bypassing the speed control as an option.
Phil

rayintheuk
19th September 2011, 09:22 AM
Here's the UK link (http://www.toolsparesonline.com/products/6407-speed-controler.aspx) you need. :)

Ray

Wood en I
19th September 2011, 10:34 AM
Another thing to check is the Potentiometer - ( the thing under the speed control knob)
I have fixed some vaccum cleaner speed controllers. Simply by cleaning the dust out
of the potentiometer with a air compressor fixed the problem.
This may not be your problem but its worth a try.

Warren.

Phil Hansen
20th September 2011, 02:16 AM
Thanks Ray, thats the place.

Warren, tried this but still the same. Thanks though.

Phil

benupton
21st September 2011, 10:50 PM
Hi,
Is it anything like the problem that I had?

Triton Router Problem - YouTube

Regards Ben

Phil Hansen
21st September 2011, 11:37 PM
Hi,
Is it anything like the problem that I had?
Regards Ben

Same thing. Speed goes up and down as it feels like.

Phil