PDA

View Full Version : Turning for Teens

KristianH
7th January 2005, 10:15 AM
I've been turning for about three months , the shop teacher says I have a knack for it too. I also got a 12 inch mini lathe for christmas . I'm wondering what are some good woods to start with and still be affordable

sailingamerican
7th January 2005, 10:59 AM
I am glad to see yourmg people working with wood. I just have one question about your question. If you have been turning wood and your teacher says you are doing well than you already have been turning a good wood. I think you want to know what special woods are good to use when starting out. My wife is an Aussie. When I get there this summer I want to bring back some of your great woods to turn. I want to read what your mates have to say. I can learn on this one. Australia has some great woods that we do not have her in the US.
Happy turning and glad you got a late for Christmas. I hope you have some good tools and sharpening tools.
Richard

Sir Stinkalot
7th January 2005, 11:16 AM
sailingamerican ...... KristianH is closer to you so you may have to come up to the plate to bat on Australia's behalf :)

Grunt
7th January 2005, 12:29 PM
KristianH is closer to you so you may have to come up to the plate to bat on Australia's behalf

Isn't it come to the crease to bat? Plates are what you serve food on.

Sir Stinkalot
7th January 2005, 12:52 PM
Ahh I was thinking more along the line of baseball for our american friend .... I could be wrong ..... after all who in Australia plays baseball?

rsser
7th January 2005, 05:05 PM
Hi Kristian,

Welcome to the fraternity (and sorority!).

Since you're in Canada you might post this kind of request to the newsgroup rec.crafts.woodturning, or do a Groups google to see what's been said on the topic already - heaps probably.

ptc
7th January 2005, 05:16 PM
Richard
Where in Australia for your hoilidays ?
ptc

KristianH
9th January 2005, 01:22 AM
. I just have one question about your question. If you have been turning wood and your teacher says you are doing well than you already have been turning a good wood. First , thank you every one for welcoming me . Second I've been turning with white or red oak , I personaly hate it because I get alot of tear out and I can never get anything fine enough.

gatiep
9th January 2005, 01:34 AM
Use sharp tool with the bevel rubbing. Often it's not the wood but technique and blunt tools.

Welcome to the forum

:)

RETIRED
9th January 2005, 02:10 AM
I will get flamed for this for sure. Some of the Yankee oaks and maples are so damned hard and curly grained that the only way is:

use a scraper. I didn't really say that. You are all dreaming. :D

KristianH
9th January 2005, 03:44 AM
I will get flamed for this for sure. Some of the Yankee oaks and maples are so damned hard and curly grained that the only way is:

use a scraper. I didn't really say that. You are all dreaming. :DNot at all , all the oak and maple in our shop is super hard and has the most swirly grain I've seen . I should take your advice about the scraper though , it's the sharpest tool I have.

Use sharp tool with the bevel rubbing. Often it's not the wood but technique and blunt tools.I still haven't learned about bevel rubbing , could you please just give me the idea of it? Also I was told I don't need to sharpen my tools that often because I have steel carbide

wobbie
9th January 2005, 06:19 AM
I have been turning for seven years, i was really lucky and have had an amazing woodwork facilities through school and i still find oak can be difficult. Just keep trying it is so rewarding when it works, sanding is worth it and be patient. WAHOO