PDA

View Full Version : Redback Update

Daddles
7th January 2005, 12:06 PM
My eternal construction of the massive, gigantic, oversized ... well, 8 foot tender, Redback, has passed a milestone. She's currently upside down, all seams taped, fairing compound slathered everywhere and awaiting the sanding machine. :p

Yup, after eighteen months, my 'quick six month project' has finally reached a point where the end is in sight. All that's needed now is cleaning up, fairing and sanding, then fit the seats and paint - and she's a row boat! Then make the mast and rudder and dagger board, and she's a sail boat as well. :D

With a bit of effort, I can see her ready for the Goolwa Wooden Boat festival - at least as a rower. :eek:

Hell, I'm almost getting warm feelings for the project again ...

Cheers
Richard

John Kinnane
9th January 2005, 02:00 PM
Time flies when you are having fun

How about posting some pics of Redback as she is ? Also what is the sanding compound you are using ?

Christopha
9th January 2005, 10:54 PM
Ricardo, have you registered for the Wooden boat festival yet? If you do it soonish it is reasonably cheap and you get a mooring...... I have done the deed and am getting ready, the "thing" had an outing yesterday as the lanch boat for the Beachport duck race.... major event on the nauticackle calendar!

Daddles
9th January 2005, 11:16 PM
I haven't registered with Goolwa yet but will do. I will actually have the little brute in the water by then ... at least as a rowboat. I can act as tender for your tugboat! That way, if I don't feel like rowing for the parades, you can toss me a tow ... or we can fill her with ice and store the beer in her. She'll be there, even if it's in primer with no seats fitted.

How many coats of paint does it take to hide my lousy workmanship? (I build work boats, not show boats).

No photos at the moment - too lazy to take them. The fairing compound I'm using is just West with 411 powder - if I want a fillet, I make it half 403 and half 411. Sands a treat, especially if you do it the next day. The hard part is not taking off too much.

Cheers
Richard

Christopha
10th January 2005, 06:33 PM
She should look good as gold behind the mighty R&R.............

Christopha
10th January 2005, 06:36 PM
or perhaps behind this enormous vessel.........