PDA

View Full Version : Emco Maximat V10-P

SurfinNev
13th September 2011, 07:28 PM
Let's assume it's in good condition. What's it worth?

I know parts will be a problem.

Nev

SurfinNev
14th September 2011, 08:03 AM
Anyone? BTW I'm not selling one, just like the look of them and considering getting one sometime if the price is right.

Nev

Greg Q
14th September 2011, 01:07 PM
My take on European lathes is that they are worth (to me) up to half again as much as the cost of a new Chinese equivalent. I think the V10-P is the smallest Emco I'd consider. A quick read on Tony's lathes.co.uk site will reveal the features and problem areas.

Greg

PDW
18th September 2011, 08:50 PM
My take on European lathes is that they are worth (to me) up to half again as much as the cost of a new Chinese equivalent. I think the V10-P is the smallest Emco I'd consider. A quick read on Tony's lathes.co.uk site will reveal the features and problem areas.

Greg

I'd say twice as much and I have the Maximat 11. Not interested in selling it so this isn't an attempt to raise the prices. Those Emco lathes are nice machines. Mine still shows all the factory markings on the slideways and the paint is hardly chipped. I've never had a problem in using mine, the only real issue I could see is the 2 speed motor, if it ever went tits-up.

They are lightweight machines, though. The Maximat 11 weighs about half as much as the Colchester Chipmaster. It's as accurate if not more so but it won't peel metal off as quickly.

PDW

Greg Q
19th September 2011, 12:02 PM
I'd say twice as much

PDW

Hmmm. Yeah, I guess that's what I pay too, for a project machine. But since you cannot go out and buy a new toolroom lathe for hobby money it still makes sense to me. Caveat: My main hobby seems to be rebuilding machine tools as opposed to metal working. At least right now.

GQ

PDW
20th September 2011, 06:28 PM
Hmmm. Yeah, I guess that's what I pay too, for a project machine. But since you cannot go out and buy a new toolroom lathe for hobby money it still makes sense to me. Caveat: My main hobby seems to be rebuilding machine tools as opposed to metal working. At least right now.

GQ

You're not the only one. I think that the only machine tool I own that *doesn't* need work is that Emco lathe, and that because it was as new when I bought it. I paid accordingly too, but at the time I could claim it as a tax deduction so that helped :-)

The advantage of having 'rough' lathes is you can use them for those abusive jobs like machining cast iron or hot rolled steel covered in mill scale and not care a lot. Once the job is roughed out, then transfer it to the 'good' machine for finishing.

Pity that EVERY SINGLE LATHE I own has a different chuck mounting system.

PDW