PDA

View Full Version : spirit stains

smiife
13th September 2011, 08:31 PM
hi guys ,
has anyone tried /used spirit stain to colour there work??
if so how is it applied? where can you buy it from?
and how sucessful is it ?any info would be appreciated:2tsup:
cheers smiife:;

TTIT
13th September 2011, 09:55 PM
Might just watch this one too. Bought some years ago and just haven't quite got around to trying them out :B

bellyup
14th September 2011, 12:31 AM
What - you mean Scotch... that will give a darker stain than vodka :D

hughie
14th September 2011, 01:23 AM
Hmm used some years back.... umm umm 40 years or so :U From memory it was a bit tricky to avoid streaking or a varience in the colour. I used to apply it with a soft pad following the grain and light stokes. When you get it right it does a great job. :2tsup:

Heres a few links to get you going, by the look of it things have moved on with spirit based stains and it probably much easier these days. :U

http://www.wattyl.com.au/DIY/Pages/woodstains.aspx

Floor Polishing Finishes, EnviroMax, Woodstains Prooftint (http://www.exclusivefloorsanding.com.au/finishes.php)

Briwax Wood Care Products (http://briwax.com.au/WoodDyes.php)

powderpost
14th September 2011, 08:39 PM
I have in the past, used stains to match wood colour if some restoration work. They were applied with a soft cloth, making sure the edge of the stained area was feathered. Light sanding when dry will probably remove some of the surface stain. It may be necessary to stain again, even with a lighter or darker stain to get the required effect. Some times it may be necessary to rub the surface down with a thinners dampened rag to get a different effect. The application of a spirit based sanding sealer may also pick up some of the colour. There is no "one fits all" ways. The colour, grain patterns and density of the wood used also play a part. Always best to experiment on bits first.
Jim

smiife
14th September 2011, 08:52 PM
hi guys,
thanks hughie,
i had a look at those web sites,the last one refers to a woodturning site/shop in brisbane but could not see any on there!!!
i might try the soft pad method,when i can get some.
hi bellyup,
thanks mate very helpfull,i will take your advice and keep drinking
the scotch and use the vodka for staining.[i was expecting a ghost/
spirit joke or two:U:U].
hi ttit,
where did you get yours from?
thanks again for your input guys:2tsup:

Tom Collins
14th September 2011, 08:58 PM
I recently came across this video. About 1/2 way through the video the guy uses spirit stains to enhance the platter. Seems to get good results from what you can see in the video

Turning a Decorative Platter V2.wmv - YouTube

TomC

dr4g0nfly
15th September 2011, 03:17 AM
I've got into them quite a bit lately. They manage to turn a simple turning into something worthwhile (and for some reason more saleable - they are always the first things to go from my displays.)

As I said simple wood, Cherry, Sycamore even Eucalyptus which have nothing special in grain patterns can be made quite attractive by the application of Spirit Stain.

You'll need some meths to act as a cleansing agent, or to thin it out if you don't want you use it full strength. I also use it neat to blend two edges of colour or where it's a bit darker than I want.

It can be cut back afterwards so that you leave it mostly in the soft grain or cause other effects.

I have also seen it used to enhance the gain of a burr (burl) to great effect but not managed to try that myself yet.

I've a couple of pieces downstairs with colour, I'll post pics later - just tried and the battery in my camera is flat.

dr4g0nfly
15th September 2011, 06:07 AM
Battery Charged - quick snaps taken so please excuse the flash glare!

The thin vase is Apple slightly spalted to which I've applied a well thinned Black stain. Probably did not need it but it has made some effects of the grain appear that were not visible before.

The Blue vase is still not finished it's still on it's chuck stub. I applied neat stain onto very uninspiring Cherry. I then sanded back lightly to lighten the softer grain leaving the harder grain the retain the darkness and it's brought the grain out nicely making something attractive out of what was very bland.

You can just see what I mean by bland in the second of the two pics if you peep into the top.

Both are being finished in oil.

smiife
15th September 2011, 08:59 PM
hi guys ,
thanks jim,
very interesting ,.i think we crossed over somewhere
we must have posted at the same time,just got to give it a go and see
thanks for your input

hi tom,
very interesting video,i think i get the idea,for some reason it stopped about half way thru,

hi dragonfly,
thanks for the photos and for going to all that trouble really appreciate it
the vases you have made look really great ,can't wait to try it myself

i did get some today from an auto paint shop,and have just the piece to try it on,jusy going with a black finish so will have to see how it goes
thanks again to all for your comments and advice really appreciate it..
cheers smiife

TTIT
15th September 2011, 10:35 PM
hi ttit,
where did you get yours from?
thanks again for your input guys:2tsup:I've actually got water based dyes from Ubeaut but I'm hoping a lot of the same tips/techniques will apply - even bought an air-brush to try with it and haven't even had it out of the box yet :no:

Ed Reiss
16th September 2011, 11:42 AM
Hi Tom Collins...welcome to the asylum :2tsup:

Good video find and thanks for posting.