PDA

View Full Version : Pendants

dai sensei
13th September 2011, 11:03 PM
The local club has asked me to demo making some pendants next weekend. I haven't turned that many, and even those were a while back, so I thought I better get my eye in :rolleyes:

Hairy Oak and one from She-oak Pods cast in purple. The pink one is the last one I turned previously from Swamp Banksia.

Cheers

bruceh
13th September 2011, 11:48 PM
Got a nice selection there Neil, really like the She Oak pods , lots of potential there.
Bruce,

seriola
14th September 2011, 09:01 AM
looks like your eye is in, lookin' good:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Rum Pig
14th September 2011, 10:11 AM
Very nice Neil I'm sure they go down well with the lady's. Well done:2tsup::2tsup:

Enfield Guy
14th September 2011, 01:50 PM
Cool. Looking good.

Swino
14th September 2011, 03:01 PM
The local club has asked me to demo making some pendants next weekend. - this weekend!!

They look great - I'm looking forward to the demo!! :2tsup:

mkypenturner
14th September 2011, 05:19 PM
The local club has asked me to demo making some pendants next weekend. I haven't turned that many, and even those were a while back, so I thought I better get my eye in :rolleyes:

Hairy Oak and one from She-oak Pods cast in purple. The pink one is the last one I turned previously from Swamp Banksia.

Cheers
hey neil any chane of getting some pics at the demo

dai sensei
14th September 2011, 10:09 PM
Got a nice selection there Neil, really like the She Oak pods , lots of potential there.
Bruce,

Yeh, my favourite too. Definately going to collect more of them for drying and casting ASAP.

- this weekend!!

They look great - I'm looking forward to the demo!! :2tsup:

My next weekend means the one coming up next, which is this weekend :U

hey neil any chane of getting some pics at the demo

Hmm, I'll take a camera and hopefully someone can take some photos.

I was going to produce a WIP and details on the jig/chuck thingie I use as a hand-out.

Cliff Rogers
14th September 2011, 10:34 PM
:2tsup:

cookie48
14th September 2011, 11:06 PM
hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm jig/chuck thingy sounds good. Honestly nice work

Cliff Rogers
14th September 2011, 11:28 PM
....details on the jig/chuck thingie I use as a hand-out.
Is that the bought one or one you made your self?

I made my own out of offcuts of melamine with a 19mm x 19mm cross piece glued to the back that could be gripped in a regular chuck & moved off centre to produce the swirly grooves.... simple but it only works in one plane.

artme
15th September 2011, 12:44 PM
Top marks there Neil!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dai sensei
15th September 2011, 11:33 PM
My jig is home made from aluminium, but is for s single off-set only, to suit the pendant eye on a 45mm pendant. I use a timber spacer made from 5ply turned down to 35mm dia to which the blank is hot melt glued on, then screwed to the jig. I turn the outside and main shape whilst attached via a screw through the middle, then the eye is drilled then turned out with a fingernail gouge whilst the jig is screwed on via the outer hole. I recenter the spacer for sanding and finishing, although the final finish is using the buffing wheel.

Below are some of the photos, but if anyone would like the full handout with jig plan and step by step instructions with photographs, see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f56/pendant-making-wip-mandrel-141146/#post1375264) in the Library.

Cheers

pommyphil
16th September 2011, 07:22 AM
Another way I've seen is to wind your chuck out 'til 3&4 drop out, wind the scroll one

full turn then reinsert 3&4 . It gives you a crude offset chuck for cutting the hole.

Phil

Ed Reiss
16th September 2011, 11:26 AM
Fun things to make :2tsup:

Ozceltic63
16th September 2011, 05:01 PM
I just ordered 4 pendant chucks from the USA.
Cost us about $80 each posted including a mt2
taper mandrel.

Im a toolmaker by trade and i couldnt make
them for that.

BTW Graham (bowlbasher) did a demo at our club a couple of weeks
ago using the chuck from torne lignum (USA).

Look like they will be fun.

Liam

dai sensei
16th September 2011, 08:33 PM
The pendant madrel from woodnworkshop (http://www.woodnworkshop.com.au/index.php?cPath=56&osCsid=a60edf64c326f58f8b416791df34839d) is pretty good and allows for multiple off-centre positions, something mine can't.

dai sensei
16th September 2011, 09:29 PM
Just put the handout showing the Mandrel/Jig plan and detailed WIP with photos in the Library here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f56/pendant-making-wip-mandrel-141146/#post1375264). I got sick of sending emails :U

Cliff Rogers
16th September 2011, 11:40 PM
Ta. :2tsup:

vk4
17th September 2011, 08:01 AM
Thank you for the info.:)

Jeff
vk4

Ozceltic63
17th September 2011, 11:36 AM
The pendant madrel from woodnworkshop (http://www.woodnworkshop.com.au/index.php?cPath=56&osCsid=a60edf64c326f58f8b416791df34839d) is pretty good and allows for multiple off-centre positions, something mine can't.

These are the ones I ordered. very similar.

Pendants (http://www.torne-lignum.com/Pendant-chucks.html)

Liam

dai sensei
17th September 2011, 04:06 PM
Demo went well today, on a JET VS midi, I can see a heap of kids getting pendants for Xmas this year :rolleyes:. Bruce might get some business selling mandrels, blanks and other general jewelry accessories too :wink:

I gave the camera to someone to take some photos of me demoing, but he only took this one of me, the rest are of the blank turning into a pendant :doh: Probably didn't want to break the camera :rolleyes:. And no I wasn't stoned :no:, even though it looks that way :o:U. Note the shirt :2tsup:

Cheers

mkypenturner
18th September 2011, 09:55 PM
Demo went well today, on a JET VS midi, I can see a heap of kids getting pendants for Xmas this year :rolleyes:. Bruce might get some business selling mandrels, blanks and other general jewelry accessories too :wink:

I gave the camera to someone to take some photos of me demoing, but he only took this one of me, the rest are of the blank turning into a pendant :doh: Probably didn't want to break the camera :rolleyes:. And no I wasn't stoned :no:, even though it looks that way :o:U. Note the shirt :2tsup:

Cheers
neil next time mental note to self use another club member to take the pics :rolleyes: that way cant get a bad shot of yourself
nice shirt

im wondering if they doing them again sometime ....?????? would be VERY interested

dai sensei
18th September 2011, 10:25 PM
I already had photos of the process Troy, they are in the WIP here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f56/pendant-making-wip-mandrel-141146/#post1375264). Should be enough to show you how to make them, and your own jig if you don't want to buy one.