PDA

View Full Version : White Ants in silky oak slabs

Fenwood
15th September 2011, 08:01 AM
Ok, so I got all excited when I bought my Lucas, and got stuck in and slabbed an old silky oak log that had been laying around for about 4-5 years. :D

Took the resulting slabs back home and as I was stacking them found evidence of white ant activity . :oo:

I was hoping that it was old activity , and they had moved out, but alas, fresh evidence of the little buggers in residence. http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Can anyone sugest an effective, cost efficient method of terminating the termites without losing the slabs?:?

So far it would appear that they are mostly down at the butt end of the slabs, I would rather keep as much of the slab intact as possible, but am open to all sugestions....

Thanks in advance for any help :)

artme
15th September 2011, 04:44 PM
Slab it all, seal the ends. Blast the little mongrels out with a high pressure cleaner or hose, stack where ther is plenty of light ( but not heat ) and turnand turn very frequenlty.

Termitesdfon't like to be disturbd and they don't like light. The treatment I have prescribed should have them buggering off quick smart.

Greg Ward
15th September 2011, 07:23 PM
They will only eat the sapwood, so don't worry too much
Greg

MAPLEMAN
15th September 2011, 08:12 PM
They will eat the heartwood of Southern Silky Oak....not much they dont eat:(

powderpost
15th September 2011, 09:10 PM
Try three drops of "Frontline plus" on a small bit of mince, about a third of a cup. Put it in a small (100mm) plant pot upside down and bury it a few inches under the ground. Bury three or four. My neighbour did this 6 months ago, and it has proved successful.

Jim

rustynail
15th September 2011, 11:55 PM
Wash down slabs with Borax and water solution. This will not only help with termites but also borers like Lyctus who are sure to show up sooner or later. Sticker out the slabs at 450mm centres for less than 50mm thickness and 600mm centres for over. Start stickers close as possible to the ends and keep them in line verticaly. Give your sticker a dose of Borax as well, unless they are treated pine. I only leave cedar untreated and even then have had the stickers eaten out by termites.

bsrlee
16th September 2011, 07:15 AM
If you've moved them well away from their original location - several blocks not feet - then they are on borrowed time - the queen termite will still be in the old nest underground - the only risk is that the main nest body is in the slabs, so they can just make connecting runways even if the timber is stickered etc. A bit of insect spray will kill loose workers, heat, pressure cleaning etc. are good also & will work well if there is no source of replacement workers.

Treated pine can also give them a terminal gut ache, so use H5 for supports & stickering.

Fenwood
16th September 2011, 07:29 AM
Thanks every one for the great info, I will try a few ideas and see what works best.

Have agreat weekend :)

pampelmuse
16th September 2011, 09:44 AM
If you can find one of those massive meat ant nests you can lay timber on it for some "natural" termite control. The ants will clean them up pretty quick in a few hours if they can get at them.